PDA

View Full Version : will it run faster?

zoran
Dec 27, 2010, 03:07 AM
I have a Powerbook G4. (1.67ghz, 1GB ram) thats running with Leopard. It was given to me that way and i must say that at some times its gets kinda stuck, the colored wheel just keeps on turning without stop.
Do you think that Leopard is too heavy for it, should i have Tiger on so that it works more efficiently and faster?

gatepc
Dec 27, 2010, 03:09 AM
Tiger would likely see a small increase in performance but too you is it worth losing the extra features of leopard? Also a lot of newer applications won't work with Tiger so make sure before you do anything. I would think the performance difference would be around 5% or less. Of course this is just a rough guess.

occams razor
Dec 27, 2010, 03:33 AM
Maxing the ram out and putting in a 7200rpm hard drive or even a solid state drive will give you some decent increases.

zoran
Dec 27, 2010, 03:35 AM
oh i forgot to say that this Powerbook will only be used as a NetBook, no heavy apps, only apps for internet use! ;)

cocacolakid
Dec 27, 2010, 08:57 AM
What are you doing when it gets stuck?

What apps are you running?

Are you just streaming video? If that's the case search this forum for Flash, there is a lot of good, recent advice on ways to make playing Flash videos better, including special builds of browsers optimized for your specific Mac. (Or try MacTubes)

Hrududu
Dec 27, 2010, 11:34 AM
It shouldn't be that slow. If you're seeing that a lot, it could need and OS reinstallation, or the hard drive could be failing. I would test the drive using something like Tech Tool Delux to make sure the drive isn't on its way out. You might also consider getting it up to at least 1.5GB of RAM.

zoran
Dec 27, 2010, 04:49 PM
cocacola kid
- it gets stuck when browsing
- the apps that usually run simultaneously on my system are Skype, Adium and Safari!

Hrududu
Yes ive thought of that too (about the OS reinstallation) but i just wanted to make sure first that this is the problem before i do this and have to make all the app installations afterwards!