Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Belgium
I found my old copy of Unreal Tournament and upgraded it to work on an Intel Mac. Love playing the game but my Mac Pro (2.8 GHZ 8 core, 12GB RAM) runs really hot when I play it. It usually operates at about 28 degrees Celsius, but after playing Unreal Tournament for 15 minutes it jumps to 40 degrees and you can hear the fans whining.

Anyway to stop it from running so hot?

nasabaer

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2009
40 degree celsius is just absolutely normal an nothing to worry about.
its normal. you can sit down and relax as long as the temperatures won´t go over 60 or so...

my mac pro (actual 6-core model) has about 34 degrees in idle mode.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
maybe you can find something like 'smcfancontrol' for your mac pro. on my macbook pro, I have the fans run full tilt all the time when on AC power, so that games don't run the temp up too high.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
there is no intel version of unreal tournament for mac, only PPC. The extra heat may also be from the emulation process of converting PPC code to intel

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
As others have stated 40c is completely normal. I forget the exact number but the processor in your computers normal safe range is up to around 95C or something like that.

You never have to worry about a machine running too hot since they shut themselves down to prevent damage if temps get too high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.