Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

130117-apple_tv_black.jpg

According to All Things Digital, Apple has confirmed that it has surpassed sales of one million units for the new Apple TV, which debuted in late September. The company had put out a press release last week stating that it expected to reach the milestone later that week.
Last Tuesday Apple said it expected sales of its next generation Apple TV to top one million units before Christmas. Today the company confirmed they did just that.
The timing of Apple's "pre-announcement" press release was seen by many as curious, with some speculating that the release was published to counter the previous day's news from competitor Roku that its sales had doubled since the launch of the Apple TV and that it expected to hit the one million milestone by the end of the year.

Article Link: Apple Confirms One Million Apple TVs Sold

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
You can count me for two of those million: one just a couple of days after launch, and one to replace the other when it was stolen.

If I had another HDMI-capable TV, I'd get a third. It's the new "gateway drug" device into the Apple entertainment ecosystem.
EDIT: For example, I've since gotten a Wii and an Internet-capable TV. The user interface of the :apple:tv beats both hands down, especially for NetFlix. Put Hulu and Pandora clients (written with the same attention to detail) on this bad boy, and there would likely be pandemonium at every Apple Store worldwide.

Last edited:

scottdot

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
New Mexico
Good, the more they sell the bigger the market for an :apple:TV app store!

I'm really hoping that's what they're teasing us with by telling how many they've sold. I love my Apple TV and just recently won a second in a contest. Apps will justify having more than one in my home and might spur me to buying a second TV for our home too.

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I bought three on release day. Generally love them, but sometimes home sharing has to be turned off and then back on to get it to work...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I’d like it as a clutter-free accessory for my iDevice and TV... if I had a TV. I’ve long ago gotten rid of the last TV I will ever own. I don’t need a 50” picture, so my TV is an iMac + EyeTV (and Hulu) + Apple Remote! No monthly TV bill for me.

But I know people with no interest in the old AppleTV who are now planning to buy this. For NetFlix, photo streaming, iTunes rentals and YouTube—in about that order. Doing all those simply is worth something.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Got one from my wife to replace the old one which I had since shortly after the 2005 launch. We love the original and use it to play movies, music, tv shows and slideshows, especially movies for our young ones. I expect to put the original on a tv for the kids when I get one and really hope the new one doesn't have the lag we often have when trying to navigate menus on the old one. I often find myself using my iPhone remote app with the control feature simply because it works better than the remote (which we did update to the aluminum last year).

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
I've owned an original 160GB Apple TV for 3 years now and its been great. However for the general public, the original Apple TV was too expensive for what it was and what it did.

I bought 2 more of the new ones for my living room and bedroom as well. 90% of the time I use it for Netflix, but its still convenient to play music around the house for parties.

The only thing that annoys me about the new one is that sometimes my iMac goes to sleep and i need to go an wake it up manually to play music. It would be convenient to be able to remotely wake it up with the Apple TV

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Count me as another AppleTV lover.

I had the old version and liked it but I didn't suggest it to too many people. It was expensive and was only somewhat useful.

But now that it's $99 and I now know a LOT more people watching Netflix on their computers...well it's become much easier to suggest an AppleTV to my friends now.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Is this how many sold to actual customers or how many sold to retails as well?

Apple is publicly traded company. If they publish sales numbers, these numbers must be according to GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles). A unit is sold as soon as whoever bought it cannot return it back to Apple.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I love the new Apple TV, but they need to address some of the problems, like lack of folders for movie and TV shows. Airplay has already been very useful.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
So Roku is finally "closing in on" the one million mark for the entire history of selling ALL of it's different Roku devices (that includes all their different models sold since 2008) and Apple's new Apple TV hit the one million mark in just 3 months all by itself. So it took them 3 years and it only took ATV2 about 3 months.

Wow. The new Apple TV is kicking Roku's butt!

I wonder how many Google TVs or Boxee boxes have been sold? Surely they can't be selling even as many as Roku?

I love my new Apple TV. I took mine with me on the trip this weekend to visit family for Christmas and several of us had iPhones we were taking pictures with all day. I pulled out the Apple TV, and we were all using Airplay to share the photos of the family we had just taken on our iPhones to the big screen HDTV. No setup needed, no syncing, no uploading. Just shoot on the phone, share to the TV. That was awesome to say the least.

We even watched some Netflix on it and I showed off some home movies and an iTunes rental I had sitting on the iPod app. I also Airplayed Pandora on my iPhone to the Apple TV and used the built in Internet Radio to listen to Christmas music while the kids were opening their toys. Best $99 I've spent in a long time.

Last edited:

agenda893

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2004
I love the new Apple TV, but they need to address some of the problems, like lack of folders for movie and TV shows. Airplay has already been very useful.

Instead of folders they allow you to sort by Genre. For TV Shows I just set the genre to the name of the show and the season - this way managing hundreds of episodes is much easier.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Apple is publicly traded company. If they publish sales numbers, these numbers must be according to GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles). A unit is sold as soon as whoever bought it cannot return it back to Apple.

I was just thinking of when Microsoft published that 1.5 Million Windows Phone 7 had been sold, but those figures also included how many had been sold to retailers, where as a matter of fact only 40,000 had been sold to actual retailers.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

You can set up folders by using the playlists feature. You have to turn on video playlists in the settings. It's only on for music by default. But I prefer using Genres, Unwatched, and the other built in category options myself.

pkoury

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2008
Got one for Christmas. Love the concept and it works great other than the ridiculously slow streaming.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I was just thinking of when Microsoft published that 1.5 Million Windows Phone 7 had been sold, but those figures also included how many had been sold to retailers, where as a matter of fact only 40,000 had been sold to actual retailers.

The 40,000 sales figure was for the first day they went on sale. That 1.5 million sales story was a useless piece of journalism.

SmokeyRobinson

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2010

Herpin and derpin as usual I see

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.