Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagentaLoyal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
USA, Midwest
We run two Mac minis, both are Intel chipped, of the previous form factor.

The older one is a 1.66 GHz (macmini1,1); I don't remember if it is a early 2006 or late 2006 model.
It has the full 2 Megs of memory installed.
This one is connected up via the factory cables to an Apple Cinema Display (~22" diagonal).
It has no problems in going to sleep, waking from sleep, using a screen saver mode, etc., etc., etc....

The newer one is a 2.00 GHz (mac mini2,1) from Mid 2007. It has the full 4 Megs of memory installed; 3 of which are addressable.
This one is connected up to an "old fashioned" CRT.

Specifically, the monitor is an (old) IBM P201. It's considered a 21" screen even though its viewable area is 19.1" on the diagonal. I'm running it at 1600x1200 resolution. {I understand that it could run 1600x1280.}
It uses a WIERD connector on the monitor's side; its custom cable then goes to a standard SVGA or "HD-15" connector. This HD-15 then goes into the adaptor supplied with the Mac Mini, and the adaptor connects into the Mini's DVI connection.

When this monitor was used with a PC, it never had any problems with the PC and the P201 going to sleep, then waking up.

Since it has been used with the Mac Mini, I've been able to do the normal screen saver trick (in my case, move mouse to lower left corner), but I've _NEVER_ been able to successfully recover from the Mini & P201 going to sleep. Every time I try to wake them up, the screen turns on to some not easy to describe shade of gray or lavender, but will not turn on correctly.

As a result, I have to manually turn off the power to the Mini and re-start it.
(I call this the "Kick-to-the-head wake up method; not very healthy for the long run!)
Thus, I just don't (intentionally) but the pair to sleep, ever...

Short of buying a new Monitor (*WUXGA? Ha. Dream on),
Do any of you have any suggestions as to what and how I can fix?
Specifically...

Is this a hardware problem with the Mini, the adaptor, the cable, or the Monitor?
Or (more unlikely I suspect) Is this a software problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.