PDA

View Full Version : Kitting out a PowerMac G5

jowie
Dec 27, 2010, 03:08 PM
Hi all,

I recently inherited a PowerMac G5 from work. Because I don't have any cables/monitor/etc for it yet, I don't really know that much more about it, unfortunately! I think I've worked out it must be an "Early 2005" model, because it appears that these were the ones that had an odd-shaped power socket... Looks like I'm going to have to buy one because work don't seem to have a clue about where the cable is!

Another issue is that I'm currently running a PowerMac G4 with an ADC graphics card which powers an Apple Studio LCD Display. Unfortunately the graphics card in the G5 is dual-DVI... My old G4 card won't fit in the new machine, so that's not a solution unfortunately. I don't know what I can do about this, except:

buying one of those overpriced power adapters for the monitor
finding an ADC card as a replacement (which people seem to be selling for extortionate amounts of money), or
buying an entirely new monitor! :(

So I wondered if any of you clever bods might be able to help me! If you had the same, how would you most easily get it kitted out, so I can replace my old Dual G4 (MDD) with this machine?

I'd be very grateful for any help, thanks!

:-Joe

djmikeyc
Dec 27, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hi all,

I recently inherited a PowerMac G5 from work. Because I don't have any cables/monitor/etc for it yet, I don't really know that much more about it, unfortunately! I think I've worked out it must be an "Early 2005" model, because it appears that these were the ones that had an odd-shaped power socket... Looks like I'm going to have to buy one because work don't seem to have a clue about where the cable is!

Another issue is that I'm currently running a PowerMac G4 with an ADC graphics card which powers an Apple Studio LCD Display. Unfortunately the graphics card in the G5 is dual-DVI... My old G4 card won't fit in the new machine, so that's not a solution unfortunately. I don't know what I can do about this, except:

buying one of those overpriced power adapters for the monitor
finding an ADC card as a replacement (which people seem to be selling for extortionate amounts of money), or
buying an entirely new monitor! :(

So I wondered if any of you clever bods might be able to help me! If you had the same, how would you most easily get it kitted out, so I can replace my old Dual G4 (MDD) with this machine?

I'd be very grateful for any help, thanks!

:-Joe
I would double check the 2 DVI sockets on the G5 as i have a Powermac G5 early 2005 which came with a dual graphics card, my G5's graphics card was listed to be Dual DVI but wasnt, it was actually 1 DVI and 1 ADC (ADC very similar to DVI)....

If it is a Dual DVI graphics card then i would suggest to just sell either the Dual DVI graphics card for an ADC replacement or sell your Apple display and replace with a new DVI monitor.

If you are not too certain which G5 you have then i would suggest to remove the side panel of the tower and locate the grey barcode strip along the bottom of the chasis, this will give you all the information you need which will enable you into discovering exactly which model G5 you have.

Hope this helps :)

California
Dec 27, 2010, 03:43 PM
Take a photo of the Powermac G5's card, we can id it then...

Also take a photo of the double processors so we can id it as well. I've owned nearly every G5 and there are distinguishing characteristics...

But the easiest thing is to find the grey sticker on the side beneath the plastic cover.

jowie
Dec 27, 2010, 03:57 PM
Hi, thanks for your help!

I wish it were DVI/ADC, but unfortunately not (just checked again) :( I have looked online for replacements before, but people seem to be wanting about $300 for them, which is outrageously expensive. On the other hand, I'd hate to get rid of my nice Studio Display, it fits on my desk perfectly and looks nice too... Looks like this is going to be expensive no matter what I choose to do :(

I didn't realise the info was on the chassis... Brilliant thanks! Looks like I'm quite lucky, it appears to be a Quad 2.5 GHz. :)

OrangeSVTguy
Dec 27, 2010, 04:33 PM
If you have an AGP equipped G5(pre/early '05), PM me as I have a graphics card with DVI/ADC. I also have a 20" ACD with the ADC connector on it. It's been sitting here for the last year or so now as I have yet to buy new processors for my G5. :)

But listen to what the others mentioned with relaying to us what the label says on the bottom of the case under the side cover.

jowie
Dec 27, 2010, 05:22 PM
If you have an AGP equipped G5(pre/early '05), PM me as I have a graphics card with DVI/ADC. I also have a 20" ACD with the ADC connector on it. It's been sitting here for the last year or so now as I have yet to buy new processors for my G5. :)
Awww shame, looks like I have the Late 2005 model :( what exactly are/were you offering anyway, the graphics card and the monitor, or just the card?

But listen to what the others mentioned with relaying to us what the label says on the bottom of the case under the side cover.
Thanks... I put the serial through a website and it came out with:

Name: PowerMac G5 (Late 2005)
Model: g5_late_05
CPU speed: 2.5GHz

Anything you have that might be of use to me? Thanks! :)

OrangeSVTguy
Dec 27, 2010, 05:44 PM
Good news for you. You have a G5 Quad core. :D

There are no PCIe G5 cards that came with an ADC connection so you will have to either get the adapter or buy a new DVI monitor.

jowie
Dec 27, 2010, 05:55 PM
Good news for you. You have a G5 Quad core. :D
yay!

There are no PCIe G5 cards that came with an ADC connection so you will have to either get the adapter or buy a new DVI monitor.
Wee bum poo plops! The IT guy deliberately gave me the best machine he had... Curses to Apple for making ADC obsolete!! :mad::p

What should I do, buy the 69 adapter, or spend a little more and replace it with a new monitor? What would you do? :confused:

cocacolakid
Dec 27, 2010, 06:04 PM
yay!

Wee bum poo plops! The IT guy deliberately gave me the best machine he had... Curses to Apple for making ADC obsolete!! :mad::p

What should I do, buy the 69 adapter, or spend a little more and replace it with a new monitor? What would you do? :confused:

I don't know what size monitor you would prefer, but you should be able to find a brand new 20" LCD monitor with DVI and probably even HDMI inputs for not much more than the adapter would cost.

jowie
Dec 27, 2010, 06:19 PM
I don't know what size monitor you would prefer, but you should be able to find a brand new 20" LCD monitor with DVI and probably even HDMI inputs for not much more than the adapter would cost.
Thanks. I don't think I have room for anything more than about 18 inches wide, so I think the largest I could get away with would be a 19 inch monitor (4:3). The main thing is I don't want to get anything ugly... That would feel like a step backwards. HDMI isn't important, all that's really important is that it can run the G5.