PDA

View Full Version : Just put 1GB stick in my Mini

Warped1
Jan 25, 2005, 06:50 PM
I just finished installing a 1GB stick I purchased from macsolutions.com. It was very easy to open up and install.

I picked up a very flexible 1.5" putty knife. I would not use one if it's not flexible because I think it would increase the possibilty of damaging the case. The first thing to note from my expirience is the putty knife does not go very far down when inserting it. Basically there is a lip on the case that stops it so do not force it down too far. The first side was much harder to lift than the second side. Take your time and switch to the other side if it's not giving. Note that there is some kind of braided cable tape that goes along the lip. You will damage this with the putty knife and I'm not sure why its on the case. To minimize damaging this, do not slide the knife back and forth once in place. Once the back is opened slightly, it pulls right out. Installing the ram was a piece of cake.

Now putting it back together was a little harder. I figured I'd line it all up and snap it down leaning a little towards the front first. The back was the first side out so it should be the last side in, right? Nope. The metal EFI clips didn't line up. Everything else snapped into place but the back did not come down. After about three trys, I went with the back snapping in first while making sure the clips stayed behind the case top. Then I snapped down the front side.

The back panel now may be a little more squishy than I recall but I really didn't take notice before. I suspect that one or two of the clips are a little bent and are not applying as much pressure to the back as the did.

I'd be interested in anyone elses comments that performed this and I'll try to answer anyone else's questions if they ask...

:cool:

Warped1
Jan 25, 2005, 07:07 PM
I just reopened it and one single EFI clip was bent ever so slightly. I straigtened it and put it back together as I described above with the back snapping in first, followed by the front. It's perfect now and I got it on the first try! (or retry LOL)

johnbro23
Jan 25, 2005, 07:23 PM
Cool... I remember putting my extra 512 in my eMac was a peice of cake, but I can imagine that the Mac mini would be slightly more challenging.

You should have a very snappy little machine once you're all done :cool:

Warped1
Jan 25, 2005, 08:06 PM
Yea, this is my first Mac and I love it. Now if only my Shuffle would ship!

varmit
Jan 25, 2005, 08:48 PM
So, how does it run with that 1 gig chip, and what are you using it for? The mac that is.

AndrewTosh
Jan 25, 2005, 09:02 PM
Out of curiosity and for the benefit for the rest of the forum, would you mind telling us where you got the memory and what the specs are? I know firsthand that high density RAM does not work, and I would like to know about other people's experience with compatability.

Warped1
Jan 25, 2005, 09:07 PM
It hits the disk much less so far with the 1 gig stick in. I am new to the Mac and this is my first one. I can't really gage it for you since I have nothing to compare it to but I can say that it's very responsive using Safari, Email, iTunes, iChat and every other small program I have on it. Not much of a test there but I have been playing the Unreal Tournament 2003 demo flawlessly. It was a little choppy at 256MB but still playable. I plan to do some video editing for the first time this weekend.

Warped1
Jan 25, 2005, 09:10 PM
Out of curiosity and for the benefit for the rest of the forum, would you mind telling us where you got the memory and what the specs are? I know firsthand that high density RAM does not work, and I would like to know about other people's experience with compatability.

http://store.macsolutions.com/pgi-Product%20Spec?DDRPC32001GB

SteveC
Jan 25, 2005, 09:37 PM
http://store.macsolutions.com/pgi-Product%20Spec?DDRPC32001GB

That's not the right one, is it? I thought the mini uses PC2700?

AndrewTosh
Jan 25, 2005, 09:45 PM
That's not the right one, is it? I thought the mini uses PC2700?

"Also supports PC200 CAS 2.0, PC2100 CAS 2.0 or 2.5 operation, PC2700 CAS 2.5 operation."

Also, Apple specifically states that either PC2700 or PC3200 is ok, though PC3200 will not give any performance increase.

Warped1
Jan 25, 2005, 09:49 PM
From the link

These modules are also supported by any system using DDR200, CAS-2.0 Latency chips, PC2100 CAS-2.0 or 2.5 or PC2700 CAS-2.0 or 2.5 chips.

Warped1
Jan 25, 2005, 09:51 PM
"Also supports PC200 CAS 2.0, PC2100 CAS 2.0 or 2.5 operation, PC2700 CAS 2.5 operation."

Also, Apple specifically states that either PC2700 or PC3200 is ok, though PC3200 will not give any performance increase.

I also like the idea that if I ever buy a current model iMac I can use the module in that. I'd have to add a second one of course.

Mechcozmo
Jan 25, 2005, 10:46 PM
I also like the idea that if I ever buy a current model iMac I can use the module in that. I'd have to add a second one of course.

Second Mac? That's not so bad....

NEENAHBOY
Jan 25, 2005, 11:02 PM
Is it just me, or does the title of this thread sound really dirty? :D

jsw
Jan 25, 2005, 11:09 PM
Is it just me, or does the title of this thread sound really dirty? :D
:D

1GB does look a lot to a dyslexic like BIG....

Edit: thanks for the confirmation that that particular RAM works... it's often spooky adding RAM which isn't especially confirmed as working in a given Mac.

SteveC
Jan 25, 2005, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I was asking as much for my own knowledge as I was to make sure you were safe. :) Good deal...