Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creeman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
I am currently in the market for a new camcorder, and really like the Canon HF S20. Right now its on sale until the 1st of the year, and I am really tempted to buy it. But with CES just over a week away, should I wait? Does any one know if Canon plans on releasing some new camcorders at CES this year? Thanks.

creeman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
why the Canon HF S20?
what is it that you like?

The brand. I like canon, they make high quality stuff. The videos Ive watched that were shot on an S20 were nice, and all the reviews were good. Plus I want an HD camcorder.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
then there's price.
seems like you have what you want at a good price.
I doubt that canon is going to come out with something better for the same or equal price.

Mac Composer

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
Of course there will be new camcorders released at CES. There wouldn't be a need for a show if there wasn't new products released each year. But you don't know when those new camcorders that are being shown will actually hit the store shelves. Might be immediately, might be Feb. or March. And the prices on the new models will not be discounted as much as current inventory is.

If you're happy with the price on the model that you're looking at, just buy now. There's no way of winning this game when it comes to purchasing electronics. There's always something newer and better coming.

creeman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Of course there will be new camcorders released at CES. There wouldn't be a need for a show if there wasn't new products released each year. But you don't know when those new camcorders that are being shown will actually hit the store shelves. Might be immediately, might be Feb. or March. And the prices on the new models will not be discounted as much as current inventory is.

If you're happy with the price on the model that you're looking at, just buy now. There's no way of winning this game when it comes to purchasing electronics. There's always something newer and better coming.

There are a lot of other products that could be released beside camcorders....

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010

I have also been waiting to buy a new camcorder. Do you know if in the past, canon would greatly reduce the price of the older models in feb and march when the new ones come out? I have no problem waiting a few months if I know I could save a bit. I'm thinking of buying the VIXIA HF S200.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
retailers usually hold onto their pricing to the very last. The best way to get something cheaper is when someone is selling theirs to get the newest and greatest.

Just buy it now.
You'll need class 10 cards for that camcorder tho. I have the lexar pro series ones and they are EPIC.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
buy it and see what happens at CES. you could always return if you don't open the box.... can't you :confused:

creeman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
buy it and see what happens at CES. you could always return if you don't open the box.... can't you :confused:

Good point. But I dont know if I could resist not opening it! CES is only a week away, I may just wait it out and see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.