PDA

View Full Version : Steve Ballmer "We love to be first"

MacBytes
Jan 25, 2005, 08:44 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Steve Ballmer \"We love to be first\" (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050125214453)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Photorun
Jan 25, 2005, 08:57 PM
First? Then Apple? So he's not only an ape, he's also delusional... and a big fat sweaty lying sack of ****!

DreaminDirector
Jan 25, 2005, 09:48 PM
I usually don't comment on stuff like this, but he bugs the crap out of me. Even if I wasn't an apple fan, his avoidance of that opening question shows how childish he really is. Like a stubborn little kid.

Someone needs to punch me in the face for reading that interview. At least it'd feel better.

Daveway
Jan 25, 2005, 10:04 PM
Ballmer is back! Everyone duck to avoid the lies. I can't believe that moron lied to the reporter and himself. Its like saying Edison didn't invent the light bulb, it was his rival across the street who made his own variation years later. Ballmer just doesn't get it. He doesn't know what he's talking about in term of Apple and Linux.

nagromme
Jan 25, 2005, 10:43 PM
At least the article--which opens by calling Ballmer "revved up, voluble, funny, charming"--goes on to call him on his lie:

When Ballmer gets talking about how Microsoft must be first with technology innovations which, so far in Microsoft's history, has not often happened the exchange is more like vintage pugilistic Microsoft.

Ballmer: "You've got to be not just first in an area; you've got to be first with important innovations even in areas that you've pioneered."

USA TODAY reporter: "Well, you guys have proved over and over again being first is not necessarily ..."

Ballmer: "We love to be first."

Reporter: "You love to be first but ..."

Ballmer: "We love to be first."

Reporter: "You certainly weren't the first you know, I mean, here looking at your ..."

Ballmer: "We love to be first. Well, our big success is Windows. We were first. Windows, we were first and then everybody faded out because there was a period during which the concept was I mean, Apple stuck around with their concept of that, but everybody else faded out, basically."

Tech people must be scratching their heads. Windows wasn't the first graphical user interface that was invented by Xerox and was first made popular by Apple Computer. Microsoft didn't have the first browser or video player or cell phone operating system.

Why do I hear a Dalek voice whenever he says "WE LOVE TO BE FIRST"?

boardquik
Jan 25, 2005, 10:56 PM
What a freakin' idiot.

iostream.h
Jan 25, 2005, 11:27 PM
http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg

Jerry Spoon
Jan 25, 2005, 11:36 PM
I'm sure what he actually said was, "We'd love to have been first." ;)

winmacguy
Jan 26, 2005, 12:09 AM
Thought everybody would love the article. Geez Ballmer spiels some ***** doesnt he.....

aswitcher
Jan 26, 2005, 12:43 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Steve Ballmer \"We love to be first\" (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050125214453)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Clearly MS are running scared...this crack, early ones about ipods and piracy promotion etc...A CEO of an organisation has NO excuse for such lies. MS's only real threat is Apple and its not a threat they can ignore any longer. Ballmers feeling the pressure and he doesn't appear to be handling it well at all...

Savage Henry
Jan 26, 2005, 12:52 AM
Someone needs to punch me in the face for reading that interview. At least it'd feel better.

Ha! That kinda penance is both disturbing .. yet somehow appropriate. I'll need one now having read the thing.

Ballmers level of insane delusion does seem to worry me ... and they say Jobs has a Reality Distortion Field ..... yoiks.

24C
Jan 26, 2005, 01:08 AM
...snip...Ballmers level of insane delusion does seem to worry me ... and they say Jobs has a Reality Distortion Field ..... yoiks.
RDF, no way, more Reality Distortion Universe, this guy needs counselling, only thing is he wouldn't listen. It's a sad reflection on the corporate world that people like this can be so out of touch with the overview, and still command huge salaries... you'd find more sense in primordial soup.

maya
Jan 26, 2005, 01:38 AM

I say you should be the first to do what you preach, the MR team is right behind you as well. ;) :)

nagromme
Jan 26, 2005, 02:23 AM
MS doesn't have to worry about Apple for a LONG time.

They do, in the LONG run, have to worry about many other companies--and Apple is one of them.

irmongoose
Jan 26, 2005, 02:29 AM

That just made my day. :D

irmongoose

Peterkro
Jan 26, 2005, 03:46 AM
Ballmer is back! Everyone duck to avoid the lies. I can't believe that moron lied to the reporter and himself. Its like saying Edison didn't invent the light bulb, it was his rival across the street who made his own variation years later. Ballmer just doesn't get it. He doesn't know what he's talking about in term of Apple and Linux.
I know what your saying however there is considerable doubt that Edison did invent the lightbulb.He certainly was that best at claiming he invented it.

munkle
Jan 26, 2005, 03:51 AM
;)

aswitcher
Jan 26, 2005, 04:14 AM
;)

Now that was funny! ;)

Diatribe
Jan 26, 2005, 05:01 AM
That just made my day. :D

irmongoose

Hehe, mine too. :D

Ballmer: "We love to be first. Well, our big success is Windows. We were first. Windows, we were first and then everybody faded out because there was a period during which the concept was I mean, Apple stuck around with their concept of that, but everybody else faded out, basically."

What the heck is this supposed to mean? This man cannot even talk straight... :eek:

iJaz
Jan 26, 2005, 05:17 AM
;)

HAHAHAHA!!!

24C
Jan 26, 2005, 05:36 AM
;)

That made me laugh too, cheers for that. :D

Chobit
Jan 26, 2005, 07:38 AM
... I think he means "we were first to release microsoft windows." And through that kind of logic they can be first in lots of things in their happy little world.. First to release Microsoft XBOX, first to release Microsoft Office, first to release Microsoft intellimouse etc. etc. etc.

srobert
Jan 26, 2005, 08:25 AM
I'd buy a "Balmer and his Balmerism" book in a jiffy. It would be a hilarious read on the can.

I think Balmer's delusions are funny. The scary part, is that some people will believe him.

space2go
Jan 26, 2005, 10:51 AM
... I think he means "we were first to release microsoft windows." And through that kind of logic they can be first in lots of things in their happy little world.. First to release Microsoft XBOX, first to release Microsoft Office, first to release Microsoft intellimouse etc. etc. etc.

They missed their chance to be the first to release the source for win2k though. ;)

daveL
Jan 26, 2005, 11:26 AM
Tech people must be scratching their heads. Windows wasn't the first graphical user interface that was invented by Xerox and was first made popular by Apple Computer. Microsoft didn't have the first browser or video player or cell phone operating system.[/b][/i]

Let's not forget the LAN (Novell), the word processor (Word Perfect), the spreadsheet (Lotus), the Internet (everybody before MS), a multi-processing OS for microprocessors (Unix), ...

wdlove
Jan 26, 2005, 11:31 AM
It seems that Ballmer is becoming cheerleader in chief, beside CEO. Ballmer is definitely much more of a character than Bill. He is just saying want everyone wants, to be first. Now can he change the perceived appearance of Microsoft.

brap
Jan 26, 2005, 11:37 AM
It seems that Ballmer is becoming cheerleader...
Aw, man, that's an image I could do without :eek:

themadchemist
Jan 26, 2005, 12:25 PM
Ha! That kinda penance is both disturbing .. yet somehow appropriate. I'll need one now having read the thing.

Ballmers level of insane delusion does seem to worry me ... and they say Jobs has a Reality Distortion Field ..... yoiks.

Not really much of a Reality Distortion Field, considering that the only person whose reality he's distorting is his own...The reporter certainly didn't fall for his trash.

aarond12
Jan 26, 2005, 01:16 PM
Not really much of a Reality Distortion Field, considering that the only person whose reality he's distorting is his own...The reporter certainly didn't fall for his trash.

I hope Micro$oft's investors don't fall for his trash either. The bottom line seems the only way to get through to ignorant CEOs/CFOs. If investors see the poor bluff (think: poker), they will "call" his hand and see he's holding nothing.

-Aaron-

Mr. Anderson
Jan 26, 2005, 01:43 PM
;)

Classic - and quite scary in a way :D

D

Doga
Jan 26, 2005, 06:16 PM
First?

Worst.

Bubble?

Burst.

Dr. Dastardly
Jan 26, 2005, 08:35 PM
First.

Worst.

Bubble?

Burst.
Thats pretty good but I think "First" needs a question mark instead of a period. :p

Doga
Jan 26, 2005, 08:39 PM
Thats pretty good but I think "First" needs a question mark instead of a period. :p

Agreed. Fixed. :)

dsharits
Jan 26, 2005, 08:42 PM
First?

Worst.

Bubble?

Burst.

Very good poem. You really should submit that to be published or something. :D

Daniel

rdowns
Jan 26, 2005, 09:54 PM

You bastard. I just laughed a mouthful of Chex mix all over my beautiful 20" iMac screen.

rdowns
Jan 26, 2005, 09:59 PM
Aw, man, that's an image I could do without :eek:

Someone with some Photoshop skills might have a better use for this image than I do.

NAG
Jan 26, 2005, 11:29 PM
Let's not forget the LAN (Novell), the word processor (Word Perfect), the spreadsheet (Lotus), the Internet (everybody before MS), a multi-processing OS for microprocessors (Unix), ...

How about security! Nuts.

aswitcher
Jan 27, 2005, 02:57 AM
How about security! Nuts.

Well true, if Ballmer likes MS being first he should be proud of the increasing records they acheive each year in terms of virus and hacker compromise ! ;) :rolleyes:

Qunchuy
Jan 27, 2005, 10:00 AM

EMBRACE...EXTEND...EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Jalexster
Jan 30, 2005, 02:05 PM
Microsoft may love to be first. This dosen't mean they are. It seems they must be quite upset, seeing as they have not yet been first. Unless you count some minor things like having a great piece of Media Center software (best on the market for PVRs), and being able to somehow put security problems in JPEG-handling and media files.