PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook External VGA CTR MONITOR PROBLEM

fortgreen1
Jan 25, 2005, 08:55 PM
hi,
I use 1.5ghz Aluminum Powerbook.

My LCD is totally fine. this happens to external monitors I plug in to my Powerbook. I tried several different healthy monitors.

situatinon: it's kind of hard to explain.
The edges of every vertical line has this thin green+red glow(?) as if you applied to much Sharpen Edges effect in Photoshop. first it was ok, but now it's started to really annoy me. itc clearly harder to read text in the external monitor than it is in the LCD.

does anyone have same problems? is there any solution for this before I go to Apple? I am thinking if I need to fix this it would take them a long time and not going to be fixed even after it get's fixed.

I tied on various resolutions and refresh rates, and did not make the problem go away.

is this a video card problem or mother borad?

I am using VGA CTR monitors.

thanks.

Sun Baked
Jan 25, 2005, 09:04 PM
And this happens at a variety of resolutions and refresh rates?

fortgreen1
Jan 26, 2005, 10:21 AM
And this happens at a variety of resolutions and refresh rates?

yes. I did all that. I am wondering if it is a video card problem or mother board problem. I also tried different VGA/DVI adaptor. did not work also.

may be external monitor needs to be DVI monitor? i haven't try that yet.

robbieduncan
Jan 26, 2005, 10:39 AM
Simple. You have sub-pixel anti-aliasing turned on. Got to system preferences and change the font-smoothing options.

Sub-pixel anti-aliasing only works on LCDs as the individual red/blue/green pixels are aranged in a predictable vertical patern. So the system uses this to effectivly tripple the horizontal resolution.

fortgreen1
Jan 26, 2005, 10:52 AM
Simple. You have sub-pixel anti-aliasing turned on. Got to system preferences and change the font-smoothing options.

Sub-pixel anti-aliasing only works on LCDs as the individual red/blue/green pixels are aranged in a predictable vertical patern. So the system uses this to effectivly tripple the horizontal resolution.

thanks rubbieduncan

that changed the text but still see the same "photoshop-unsharpen-mask" like effect on everything. it's also almost like the Ghost effects with TV broadcast.( just a bit)

plinden
Jan 26, 2005, 02:56 PM
thanks rubbieduncan

that changed the text but still see the same "photoshop-unsharpen-mask" like effect on everything. it's also almost like the Ghost effects with TV broadcast.( just a bit)

Do you have any friends with a computer that you know displays correctly on another monitor? If so the easiest thing is to switch monitors and computers and see what happens.