PDA

View Full Version : mac mini... convince me

h0e0h
Jan 25, 2005, 09:07 PM
hey guys,

iSwitched because i had this piece of junk PC and needed something new and reliable to start college with. I have heard all the switcher commercials and what not. Well, i decided to do it. I got the PB listed in my sig and i absolutely love it. The bad news is I still have that PC. I was going to type something for school on it today because that keyboard is better for my hands than this one, because of the palm rests on it, and before i could type the 5 page lecture, it had already crashed 8 times. Well, after i made a switcher out of my mom, and the whole school where she teaches, im back to making important decisions.

I tell you all this to ask you something very important. Should I go with the mac mini? Let me give you a little background... im a 19 year old college student and i edit alot of video, but i use my powerbook for that. It would be nice to have the mini to use as some sort of replacement for that hunk of junk under my desk here, but im still a little skeptical. My birthday is coming up and my parents are buying me a 19" sony flat panel to replace my 8 year old 17" CRT and i need to know if the mini is all its cracked up to be. The main purpose for the mini will be minor computations, quicken, word, etc. I won't be doing any video stuff on it, but i'll be using the bigger hard drive in there to store some of my video stuff. I will keep a backup of my iPhoto library and my iTunes library on that computer as well. I was thinking about the 1.42 ghz model and 512 megs of ram w/ my education discount, as well as the bluetooth and wireless addition. The dilemma is should i wait for another price drop and free Tiger (10.4), or go ahead and jump on it now? Also, what specs do you guys recommend for basic stuff. I also need to know a good, affordable USB wireless keyboard mouse set because im going to keep the old PC up just in case and use a KVM switch. Please let me know what you guys think!

morningrise
Jan 25, 2005, 09:25 PM
since you already have the powerbook, why not just plug a USB keyboard and mouse into it, and use the DVI-VGA cable that came with the computer to hook up to your LCD display.

You're powerbook is already faster than the low end mini, and nearly as good as the higher end.

I was having the same issue. I wanted the mini... but my powerbook is just as powerfull, so I just assume stick with it. I have a 20" cinema display hooked up to it....

Save yourself 600 bucks... just buy (or hook up your current) usb keyboard and mouse and a monitor to the pb and you'll be set.

h0e0h
Jan 25, 2005, 09:27 PM
the only problem is that i am very dependent on 2 computers, i guess im just a tech addict. That and my current Wireless keyboard is not USB

morningrise
Jan 25, 2005, 09:36 PM
well then go get that mini!

i'm trying to rid myself of my windows machine (not that i'm having many issues with it) but I want to get the dual 2.5 g5.... just to rid myself of the disease for good.

Either way, you'll need to invest in a usb or bluetooth mouse and keyboard....

and definitely invest in some ram... so the mini should be costing you upwards of 800ish if you go with the better one.

Good luck with it :)

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 25, 2005, 09:36 PM
I too would just connect the PB to the external monitor.

OT: Not sure what the Sony 19" monitor costs. But most of the 19" ones I looked at only have a res of 1280x1024. You might see if you can find some coupons for the Dell 2001FP or 2005FPW the res out at 1600x1280 (and 1024 WS). They can be had for $550 to $600 on sale with additional coupons.

neoelectronaut
Jan 26, 2005, 12:03 AM
Amazon:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006HU2IM.01._PE35_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

rtdgoldfish
Jan 26, 2005, 12:29 AM
Amazon:

If you can tell me how to order one for 35% off... I'll buy 5 of them!

Is that for real or did someone Photoshop it??

Edit: Finally not a "MacRumors Newbie"!!!

deral
Jan 26, 2005, 01:13 AM
mac mini...convince me
[using my hypnotic powers]
you will buy a mac mini

sorryiwasdreami
Jan 26, 2005, 01:21 AM
[using my hypnotic powers]
you will buy a mac mini

LOL. You are getting very sleepy. Your hand reaches into your pocket and pulls out your wallet. You watch the pendulum swing. You coax your credit card out. When I count down from 10 and snap my fingers, you will have no recollection of this conversation.

h0e0h
Jan 26, 2005, 12:44 PM
Amazon:

too bad i didn't see that on amazon...

Lacero
Jan 26, 2005, 12:51 PM
We can't convince you. You can only convince yourself.