PDA

View Full Version : Question about Windows on MAC

Jnardis
Dec 28, 2010, 02:29 PM
First, is it as easy as everyone says it is? I just got the new iMac and I'm a little worried about screwing it up?

Second, what happens if you get a virus on the windows side of the computer? Does it at all effect the Mac side?

Third, if I partition the hard drive to have Windows, is there a way to go back to full Mac? If so, is it hard to do?

balamw
Dec 28, 2010, 02:39 PM
First, is it as easy as everyone says it is? I just got the new iMac and I'm a little worried about screwing it up?

Second, what happens if you get a virus on the windows side of the computer? Does it at all effect the Mac side?

Third, if I partition the hard drive to have Windows, is there a way to go back to full Mac? If so, is it hard to do?

First. Don't worry it's easy. Here's Apple's documentation for Boot Camp http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf a virtual machine install would be even easier. We're here to help.

Second. Generally, nothing. Without third party software Windows can't modify anything on the OS X side.

Third. See the guide I linked. Boot Camp Assistant can partition your drive and remove it later.

B

brandon.8602
Dec 28, 2010, 02:41 PM
First. Don't worry it's easy. Here's Apple's documentation for Boot Camp http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf a virtual machine install would be even easier. We're here to help.

Second. Generally, nothing. Without third party software Windows can't modify anything on the OS X side.

Third. See the guide I linked. Boot Camp Assistant can partition your drive and remove it later.

B

I share the same opinion:

1) Yes it is.

2) I've yet to hear of such a situation.

3) It's easier than the install.

Grannyville7989
Dec 28, 2010, 02:45 PM
Regarding getting a virus on Windows that could potentially infect the Mac partition, as long as you have a decent antivirus installed and you don't do any silly when browsing the internet and installing applications, you should be fine.

Other than that, I have never heard of a situation that a virus could jump from the Windows and infect that Mac.

Jnardis
Dec 28, 2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks so much! I really appreciate the quick responses. I'm going to try to do it tonight so I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again. LOL

vistadude
Dec 28, 2010, 07:59 PM
Also install windows defender if you're installing XP. Defender is included in vista and windows 7 by default.