PDA

View Full Version : Terrible UT X performance in 10.2?

Draft
Sep 3, 2002, 09:27 AM
I've just reinstalled UT X on my Mac, but I'm getting the same problem: I lose frames and UT becomes choppy and unplayable. Is anyone else having this problem?

I've been going to one place in particular for help:

http://forums.clanmto.com/mto/ikonboard.cgi

I know that it's Tactical Ops specific, but most of the time, these guys know exactly what the problem is.

Let me know what you guys think.

Later,
Draft

MacBandit
Sep 3, 2002, 10:18 AM
Did you format your hard drive and do a clean install with 10.2? If not you will probably have problems from what I've heard.

Draft
Sep 3, 2002, 12:01 PM
Yep, I formatted my hard drive and did a clean install, so 10.2 runs fine.

draft

bousozoku
Sep 3, 2002, 08:39 PM
Are you using the new .ini files that came with the Mac OS X preview? Since it's using OpenGL and OpenGL has once again been updated, it's more important than ever to be exact.

My G3/400 seems to be fine with it. If you've got a G4 with AGP video card, maybe QuartzExtreme and UT X preview don't get along. I won't be able to tell you about that for awhile because I'm not converting my dual G4 to Jaguar that soon.

Quark
Sep 3, 2002, 08:53 PM
I am having the exact same problem with Quake III Arena.

I just bought the software before I put the new OS X.2 on the system.

I did a completely new installation of the OS, re-installed Quake III and found that it now runs very choppy. Whereas before it ran fine.

The OpenGL version doesn't even run under 10.2. I tried everything. Guess this is just another one of those game things where we'll have to wait forever for an update.

Never had this problem on the PC -- but I also never had such a great machine for everything else!! :)

Take Care,
Quark

MacBandit
Sep 3, 2002, 09:41 PM
I have a Dual Ghz/DDR with the GF4MX. I'm running UT in 10.2 at 1280x1024 32bit max everything and I'm averaging 70Fps. No choppiness at all. I am using they're new ini files I couldn't get it to run with the old ones.

Are you using any system modifiers? Like WindowShade X or anything like that?

Draft
Sep 4, 2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
I have a Dual Ghz/DDR with the GF4MX. I'm running UT in 10.2 at 1280x1024 32bit max everything and I'm averaging 70Fps. No choppiness at all. I am using they're new ini files I couldn't get it to run with the old ones.

Are you using any system modifiers? Like WindowShade X or anything like that?

Thanks for the help. I figured it out! I started removing all of my haxies, one by one. It didn't take me very long because it was the first one. TinkerTool was the culprit. Anyway, I removed it and UT X is running without a glitch. I highly suggest trying this if you have choppy performance.

Later,
Draft

bousozoku
Sep 4, 2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Draft

Thanks for the help. I figured it out! I started removing all of my haxies, one by one. It didn't take me very long because it was the first one. TinkerTool was the culprit. Anyway, I removed it and UT X is running without a glitch. I highly suggest trying this if you have choppy performance.

Later,
Draft

Okay, if I have choppy performance, I'll have you remove your haxies. :)

Draft
Sep 5, 2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by bousozoku

Okay, if I have choppy performance, I'll have you remove your haxies. :)

Sorry dude, but what does that even mean!?

Draft

MacBandit
Sep 6, 2002, 01:10 AM
It means that since you said that if anyone has choppy performance they should ask you to remove your haxies. That is what you said. Not what you meant but he's making a joke.

bousozoku
Sep 6, 2002, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
It means that since you said that if anyone has choppy performance they should ask you to remove your haxies. That is what you said. Not what you meant but he's making a joke.

Thanks! Call me literal, but I was just following his instructions. :)

Zenith
Sep 6, 2002, 06:29 AM
I have a QS 2001 733 Mhz with a GF2MX and I get decent performance in Unreal Tournament while running X.2. It's averaging on about 45 fps with everything maxed and 1024x768. Q3, however, is unplayable and choppy.... :(

bousozoku
Sep 9, 2002, 09:41 PM
I loaded 10.2 on my PM G3/400 and noticed that it had slowed down. I checked virtual memory and noticed that my hits were not between 70 and 95 percent as usual...they were 2 percent. This means that practically everything was going out to disk instead of being pulled from memory.

You can check this by opening a terminal session and typing vm_stat and pressing <RETURN> or <ENTER>.

MacBandit
Sep 9, 2002, 09:45 PM
I loaded 10.2 on my PM G3/400 and noticed that it had slowed down. I checked virtual memory and noticed that my hits were not between 70 and 95 percent as usual...they were 2 percent. This means that practically everything was going out to disk instead of being pulled from memory.

You can check this by opening a terminal session and typing vm_stat and pressing <RETURN> or <ENTER>.

I think this could be fixed by starting up off the 10.2 cd and running Disc Utility. Check and fix permissions and check and fix if necessary the disc. The permission I think have a lot to do with your problem.

Draft
Sep 10, 2002, 06:54 PM

I think that that is my problem as well. Is there any way to remedy this? Maybe a way to turn off VM in a certain program?

Thanks,
Draft

bousozoku
Sep 10, 2002, 09:33 PM
Draft:

No such possiblity. VM needs to be on for everything. It's just that Jaguar is extra big. I ordered 1.5GB and installed that tonight, then moved the 512MB from the dual 800 into the G3. It seems happier. I will continue to monitor.

However, this may be an issue they're repairing.

MacBandit:

I already repaired permissions a couple of days ago.

MacBandit
Sep 11, 2002, 12:49 AM
Draft:

No such possiblity. VM needs to be on for everything. It's just that Jaguar is extra big. I ordered 1.5GB and installed that tonight, then moved the 512MB from the dual 800 into the G3. It seems happier. I will continue to monitor.

MacBandit:

Cool. Keep us up to date.

Zenith
Sep 11, 2002, 11:59 AM
For you who gets terrible performance in Q3:

If you have a Wacom tablet, disconnect it! It solved my problem... Disconnect and launch the game after a restart. Then you get max fps. For me Q3 is now even faster in 10.2 than it was in 9.2.2!

bousozoku
Sep 11, 2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Zenith
For you who gets terrible performance in Q3:

If you have a Wacom tablet, disconnect it! It solved my problem... Disconnect and launch the game after a restart. Then you get max fps. For me Q3 is now even faster in 10.2 than it was in 9.2.2!

You're right about that. The Quake III engine is disturbed by the Wacom driver--although it's gotten better with each release. Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force was pretty bad with it. (Yes, I know it has the Quake III engine. That's why I'm mentioning it.) :)

Draft
Sep 18, 2002, 03:12 PM
Draft:

MacBandit:

Since you have installed this ram, does UT X run much faster? Do you notice a performance increase? Any other info would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Draft