PDA

View Full Version : Apple's new products are revolutionary in their own way

MacBytes
Jan 25, 2005, 11:49 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple\'s new products are revolutionary in their own way (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050126004905)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

24C
Jan 26, 2005, 01:37 AM
What unusual comments from a M$NBC...bit shallow, but not negative.
There is a reason why Apple Lossless is not recommended/"supported" for a iPod shuffle...number of songs available perhaps...Last time I used it my CD's were a third of the size, so I'd get about 22 songs on the 512 model

CallMeCookie
Jan 26, 2005, 04:36 AM
(At this point, I'd like to tell you what the Shuffle sounds like in my own tests, but I'm apparently on Apple's "do not call" list. Whether it's personal or has something to do with where I'm employed, Apple stopped sending me products to review years ago. That's a shame, since it prevents me from telling you in more detail just how terrific these new products are.)

I thought he wrote up a nice review not very detailed but he was very enthousiastic about the products.

iJaz
Jan 26, 2005, 05:37 AM
What unusual comments from a M$NBC...bit shallow, but not negative.

Absolutely not what I expected from M$NBC. I guess it was shallow just because he doesn't receive test products, thet's why it's even more surprising that he was so positive.
"Iím very excited about both these products. I think theyíre both significant additions and signal that Apple is moving in the right direction."
It really seems like the PC world is waking up!

mcmav37
Jan 26, 2005, 08:05 AM

The two things I really noticed in this article were:

1) As others have mentioned, it's pretty remarkable that someone from MSN could be so positive about Apple products. He really had nothing negative to say.

2) More importantly, he raved about the video card, whereas long-time Mac users everywhere are criticizing it. I think this just goes to show that even in its bargain-basement machine, Apple is able to blow away what Windows people are used to getting.

Brize
Jan 26, 2005, 08:11 AM
Anyone else notice that the article was 'sponsored by Dell'? :D

pbook15
Jan 26, 2005, 09:17 AM
It's nice to see PC magazines rave about new apple procucts and articles like this one on MSNBC. Hopefuly it will open the eyes of a few disgruntled windows users to the wonderful world of OS X. Mac sites and publications, although interesting and a great source of info aren't really helping those who are not tech savvy switch to or become aware of new Apple products.

mainstreetmark
Jan 26, 2005, 10:15 AM
Every one of these reviewers seems to like the "Shuffle" feature. It just never jumped out as some brand new thing, to me. No LCD, but you CAN do this thing we call "shuffle" your songs. Certainly, all the players out there do this as well?

SiliconAddict
Jan 26, 2005, 01:05 PM
Absolutely not what I expected from M$NBC. I guess it was shallow just because he doesn't receive test products, thet's why it's even more surprising that he was so positive.
"Iím very excited about both these products. I think theyíre both significant additions and signal that Apple is moving in the right direction."

Not really. MSNBC generally praises most Apple products so this isn't new. And as for waking up. People all along have wanted to like Apple's products if they were affordable. The miniís most alluring feature is its price. Size comes in a close second.

SiliconAddict
Jan 26, 2005, 01:07 PM
Every one of these reviewers seems to like the "Shuffle" feature. It just never jumped out as some brand new thing, to me. No LCD, but you CAN do this thing we call "shuffle" your songs. Certainly, all the players out there do this as well?

Its all about Steve's RDF. Marketing plain and simple. Shuffle isn't new. The size of the player isn't new. Price point? OK its pretty damn competitive.
Its Apple doing their thang again. That's all.

nagromme
Jan 26, 2005, 04:07 PM
Judging by your avatar ;) you, like me, are not new to this stuff. We're impressed by more technical-sounding things!

But the Shuffle is not being primarily marketed to you and I. Many people are VERY impressed by being able to shuffle a big set of songs. That's true on any player, but it's still the feature that makes people play with my iPod and want one for themselves!

It's good marketing that tells people why they would WANT a music player.

The alternative, telling people who ALREADY want a music player why they should choose an iPod, would be wasted marketing. That's preaching to the choir--people already like the iPod brand.

dlfitch
Jan 26, 2005, 05:07 PM
He's just hurt because Apple stopped sending him free stuff to review. He figured he'd write a glowing article about their stuff, mention at one point that he was upset because he no longer received their 'terrific' products to review, and there you go: a 5G iPod, free in the mail in 6-8 weeks. I wish I was a tech journalist....

stcanard
Jan 26, 2005, 06:09 PM
No LCD, but you CAN do this thing we call "shuffle" your songs. Certainly, all the players out there do this as well?

The marketing behind it is that every time the potential customer says "shuffle" it's a reminder of why they don't need the LCD. Drive the "shuffle" idea into their heads and the LCD becomes a non-issue to them.

If they'd called it the "LCD-less iPod" then they would have had a problem. The name is designed to remove that stigma.

backspinner
Jan 27, 2005, 06:52 AM
2) More importantly, he raved about the video card, whereas long-time Mac users everywhere are criticizing it. I think this just goes to show that even in its bargain-basement machine, Apple is able to blow away what Windows people are used to getting.Reality is that a vast majority of PC users don't know or care about video cards. They look at price first.