PDA

View Full Version : Mac Bluetooth Keyboard?

nylon
Jan 26, 2005, 01:21 AM
Does anyone know if the Mac Bluetooth Keyboard is useable during bootup.

For example if I wanted to boot off the CD by hitting 'C' (I think) on the keyboard while powering on the mini would the keyboard be functional before the OS was loaded?

Thanks, I just need to weigh my options.

ravenvii
Jan 26, 2005, 01:34 AM
Nope, Bluetooth doesn't get "turned on" until the OS actually starts to load. So you'll need a wired keyboard to input any startup commands.

Veldek
Jan 26, 2005, 01:58 AM
Nope, Bluetooth doesn't get "turned on" until the OS actually starts to load. So you'll need a wired keyboard to input any startup commands.I'm not sure if this is still true, as you can buy a Mac with only BT peripherals now.

nylon
Jan 26, 2005, 02:35 AM
Nope, Bluetooth doesn't get "turned on" until the OS actually starts to load. So you'll need a wired keyboard to input any startup commands.

This is a major problem if you can't. Here's a scenario:

1. You only have the Mac Bluetooth Keybaord and/or Mouse.
2. You want to install a new hard drive and/or do a clean install of an operating system (eg: Tiger when it is released).

Problem:

If the wireless keyboard and mouse do not work during boot then you are unable to perform these funtions.

I hope there is someone out there that can test this out.

Peterkro
Jan 26, 2005, 03:38 AM
Yes you can use a bluetooth keyboard during startup.I just restarted my powerbook in safe mode from several feet away. :)

combatcolin
Jan 26, 2005, 06:10 AM
I think one of the recent OS upgrades enabled the use of BT keyboards during boot up.

10.3.5 or 6 i think.

Anything earleier and yes you would have some fun playing around.