Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miltontong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
toronto, canada
i'm thinking about getting a mac mini but i need to know a couple of things before ordering one

1. i have a usb wireless adapter from my old pc and i don't feel like spending $99 cdn on an airport extreme card. will the usb adapter work?

2. i also have an 8x lg dvd writer from my old pc. i'm thinking it would be cheaper if i just bought an enclosure for it to use on the mac mini than getting a superdrive upgrade, is this possible?

thanks in advance

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
miltontong said:
i'm thinking about getting a mac mini but i need to know a couple of things before ordering one

1. i have a usb wireless adapter from my old pc and i don't feel like spending $99 cdn on an airport extreme card. will the usb adapter work?

2. i also have an 8x lg dvd writer from my old pc. i'm thinking it would be cheaper if i just bought an enclosure for it to use on the mac mini than getting a superdrive upgrade, is this possible?

thanks in advance

I know the second is possiable. Just make sure it is Firewire..

kyle

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
I've read that all of Apple's programs will only burn to a Superdrive, and not an external 3rd party burner, so I would recommend you get one.

Toast, and other 3rd-party applications will be able to use it without a problem though.

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
ilife 05 supposedly supports external firewire

aparently it is possible to burn directly to an external firewire drive with the new ilife 05 suite.

I am using the 1.25 GHz 15" Powerbook with a Combo drive, but when I simply click the burn button in iDVD it defaults to my DVR-105 drive in the Mercury enclosure.
but other people say it only works with Combo drives for them

there is a hack called Easter Egg
http://homepage.mac.com/geerlingguy/mac_support/mac_help/pages/15-burn_idvd_other.html
which allows people to select the drive to use to burn from the 'i' apps.

Edit: Aparently Easter Egg is no longer necessary. this is what it says on their website:

NOTICE: With the release of iDVD 5, Apple has finally allowed the option for burning to disc images and to external burners to be a built-in feature of iDVD! If you have iDVD 5, you do not need this easter egg to burn to non-Superdrives.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
1. I would just go for the $99 bluetooth/AE combo, if you were going to get BT anyways since the combo is only $50 more. But if you decide to stick with your USB wireless adapter, I'm pretty sure (at least on my eMac I was able to) install an Airport card after I bought it.

2. Since they just lowered the prices on BTO options on the Mac mini, that $99 superdrive is hard to pass up. If it was up to me, I'd go with the superdrive.

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2003
miltontong said:

thanks in advance

Most likely you will have no problems with your usb wireless adapter. What brand is it? I know belkin is well supported on macs, and Dlink works as well.

As fro the dvd writer, there are some hacks necessary as mentioned above. However I read on http://www.xlr8yourmac.com that iLife 05 supports some external drives NATIVELY, so you may not need those!

Bill

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK

Be careful when you buy an external drive enclosure - there are 'issues' (which means that lots of them don't work reliably). There are 3 chipsets - the Oxford 911 and 922, and the PL3507. They have different capabilities, the PL3507 is a combo usb/firewire chipset for example. BUT (and its a big but!) many people are having problems with drives not mounting and data being lost, possibly because of a problem with OS 10.3.6 and 7. I think many of the problems are due to the boot sector being corrupted or not recognised. Try a Google search on the chipset codes above.
My own external drive (branded 'Metal Gear Box') has these problems - annoyingly it works every time on XP but rarely mounts on my iBook G4 10.3.7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.