PDA

View Full Version : Weight of iMac 20" without stand

oldpismo
Jan 26, 2005, 06:27 AM
Does anyone know the weight of the 20" iMac without the stand. I am trying to get it wall mounted, but to find the right arm I need to know the weight of it without the stand attached.

Any help greatfully received.

Peter

ollie
Jan 26, 2005, 07:39 AM
why not get one that supports it WITH the stand. surly it wont hurt to have it support extra weight..

Solafaa
Jan 26, 2005, 08:15 AM
Well the problem that the connection are on the back, it would be a good idea to mount it but i think it would be hard to to make it in a way that will allow you to to connect and remove connections. If you get it to work it would be great if you post a few pics.

cluthz
Jan 26, 2005, 11:45 AM
Look at apple.com and find the iMac tech. specs, subtract about ~1 lbs.

Bear
Jan 26, 2005, 05:56 PM
Use the weight with the stand. This allows for the drag weight of any cables you have plugged into the iMac. Besides, do you really want to cut it that close with a nice piece of equipment?

oldpismo
Jan 27, 2005, 02:03 AM
Use the weight with the stand. This allows for the drag weight of any cables you have plugged into the iMac. Besides, do you really want to cut it that close with a nice piece of equipment?

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the weight of the cables (though I only have the power). I don't really want to cut it close, the problem is that if you look around for mounts the ones that I would consider using say that they support either 11Kgs or 12Kgs. This is close to the 11.4Kgs that Apple say the iMac weighs. I did ring a mount supplier, and they said that without the stand it weighs about 8 something, which I found hard to believe, so was trying to check out.

I'm not too worried about the ports being on the back, as the power is the only cable I regularly use, and I am mounting it on a swing arm so it can be high on the wall like a picture frame showing family snaps when not in use, and then swung down when I want to use it.

Peter

nagromme
Jan 27, 2005, 02:34 AM
That sounds pretty cool. I never hear about people custom-mounting iMac G5s, even though it's such a big seller and there are so many options!

I also like this style of arm, which folds completely flat behind the screen, and then swings out at any angle, but remains at the same height vertically:

http://www.peerlessindustries.com/product_images/large/lclc.jpg

A cable channel is built-in, too. Too bad the company's site looks so bad, but I bet other places make similar mounts :)

oldpismo
Jan 27, 2005, 03:25 AM
I really need the vertical height adjustment, which makes things slightly more tricky. I will post photos when I finally get it set up, though don't expect anything too soon, I just received the prices of the arms :(

nagromme
Jan 27, 2005, 07:45 PM
I always imagined the cheapest option wouldn't be an arm, but rather to get an adapter plate that just let you hang the iMac directly on the well, while being easily removed by unlocking a lever or something. Then you'd have another, lower wall-mount--or even just a place to prop the thing up securely--for actual use.

Anyone know of a "quick-removal" type of VESA wall mount?

Or you could go all the way:

http://www.bluebroc.com/images/white.jpg

I like it :D

oldpismo
Jan 28, 2005, 01:33 AM
Once its set up I don't really like the idea of having to move it. It's not a light piece of kit, and I can just imaging my 3 yr old trying to lift it off the wall :eek:

Anyway, my buying the wall mount will be good for the rest of you, as I know that as soon as I have a cheap and really good looking version will come out, doesn't it always!!!

Peter