PDA

View Full Version : Help: How to connect a Laserwriter 4/600 PS to OS X?

crassusad44
Jan 26, 2005, 06:31 AM
Hi

I have a problem connecting an old Laserwriter 4/600 PS to a PowerBook running 10.3.7. The Laserwriter is hooked up to an AsanteTalk ethernet brigde with an ethernetcable going directly into my PowerBook. Apples printersupport page says the 4/600 PS, but I can't find the printer in Print Center whenever I try to add it. AppleTalk is active on the ethernet port (I'm also using AirPort Express). Both the PWR and LI ligths on the Asante are lit up when connected. Could something be wrong with my set up, or do I need extra software? Can somebody help me?

MacsRgr8
Jan 26, 2005, 03:01 PM
Hi

I have a problem connecting an old Laserwriter 4/600 PS to a PowerBook running 10.3.7. The Laserwriter is hooked up to an AsanteTalk ethernet brigde with an ethernetcable going directly into my PowerBook. Apples printersupport page says the 4/600 PS, but I can't find the printer in Print Center whenever I try to add it. AppleTalk is active on the ethernet port (I'm also using AirPort Express). Both the PWR and LI ligths on the Asante are lit up when connected. Could something be wrong with my set up, or do I need extra software? Can somebody help me?

Could it be possible you need a cross-over ethernet cable?

The newer PowerBooks have an auto switching (correct phrase?) ethernet port, so no cross-over is needed, but maybe your PowerBook doesn't have this feature..?