Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

112216-ipad2-21.png

Case details continue to leak out of Asia for the next generation iPad. If these latest images from 9to5mac are to be believed, the next generation iPad will adopt tapered edges and a flat back. The source of the design images is said to be an Asian case supplier.

Early case designs have been circulating already with detailed analyses consistent with the above image. Reports have said that the new iPad will adopt a thinner design with a flat back so it can rest on a surface evenly.

161156-ipad_tapered_side_500.jpg

These images, however, reveal an extra port not seen on the early case moldings. The extra port appears on the opposite side of the iPads usual volume and mute switches. This could represent the rumored USB port that has been cited in several reports for the iPad 2.

Article Link: iPad 2: Tapered Edges, Extra Port?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I still don't see the need for a 2nd USB port. The dock connector IS a USB port. Anything you can do with another port can be done with the dock connector.

But "it doesn't do x or y" you say. Ok, well that's an OS software issue. Not a hardware issue. If Apple wants to add more abilities to that port they can do that whenever they want to.

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I just pee'd alittle.

In all seriousness, I love these rumours, really gets the adrenaline flowing.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Is it possible that a USB port could be in furtherance - at least in part - to the iPad itself being your actual iTunes library? Such that you could synch iPhones and iPads to your iPad and "cut the cord" to the computer? Seems plausible, especially if they move your library to the cloud somehow.

Just a thought. Not my area of expertise, to be sure.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Has anyone been watching the FCC for documents relating to this new iPad?

Silly question but has anything been noticed there? Is it possible for the FCC to with hold those documents until after the device ships?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I still don't see the need for a 2nd USB port. The dock connector IS a USB port. Anything you can do with another port can be done with the dock connector.

But "it doesn't do x or y" you say. Ok, well that's an OS software issue. Not a hardware issue. If Apple wants to add more abilities to that port they can do that whenever they want to.

How do I connect my USB keyboard to a dock connector and how is that a OS software issue ?

Unless you're thinking of a Dock to USB adapter dongle (which doesn't yet exist aside from the camera kit).

moneyman118

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009

Silly question but has anything been noticed there? Is it possible for the FCC to with hold those documents until after the device ships?

.Yes usually hold info per Apple request for 45 days, at least they did for the iPhone 4.

Suspended
Jan 6, 2009

There won't be anything to find there before announcement. Before release, maybe.

(yeah, they can keep such things secret for a time)

Trimmer2

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
I hope...

I still have my fingers, toes, arms, legs and eyes crossed for Verizon LTE!!! :D

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Or perhaps the rumoured SD card slot. It looks a little big for just a USB port.

Apple going to USB port rather than what they have now, I say SD card would be a better guess and a most wanted one, still with Apple who know "one more thing" should be interesting to see what finally comes out. :rolleyes:

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Is it possible that a USB port could be in furtherance - at least in part - to the iPad itself being your actual iTunes library? Such that you could synch iPhones and iPads to your iPad and "cut the cord" to the computer? Seems plausible, especially if they move your library to the cloud somehow.

Just a thought. Not my area of expertise, to be sure.

Had not thought about that, but what about battery life if you forget to take off the iphone; still could supplant the laptop for sure. :rolleyes:

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I don't mind the current design, but it would be nice if they could reduce the weight just a bit (while keeping the battery life).

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If you really wanted a keyboard to connect to your iPad, get a wireless one and use Bluetooth.

Batteries are expensive. If the Dock connector is just a USB port, then why wouldn't I be able to just use a wired one ? :rolleyes: How about a tablet for drawing ? Other peripherals ?

Let's face it, the iPad is not getting a USB port because Apple doesn't want the iPad to be a general purpose system like a Mac is. If you want to make a peripheral, you need to use the Dock connector and be part of the MFI program.

isn't it possible to have both?

Yes, it costs 35$, it's the Camera kit. It has both a Dock connector adapter for USB and for SD Cards. Of course, the USB port is not much use outside of cameras.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
How do I connect my USB keyboard to a dock connector and how is that a OS software issue ?

Unless you're thinking of a Dock to USB adapter dongle (which doesn't yet exist aside from the camera kit).

That is exactly what he's thinking. I believe you've answered your own question, as any product that uses a USB cable can connect to the iPad or iPhone, it just won't do much since the software hasn't been written to do anything with the products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.