Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Full disclosure: Rearth sent me this case to review.

Before the case arrived, I was really hoping that it wouldn't turn out to be yet another problematic iPod touch case. Happily, I can report that the Rearth Ringke case is a product I can recommend without hesitation.

Let's have a look... (click any photo to enlarge it)

Here it is inside its packaging:

RingkeCase-1.jpg

Nothing much to say about the packaging. It did its job of protecting the case on its voyage to me in Europe.

The Ringke case is available in many colors. This one is called "maroon". It's a nice color for anyone who wants something dark that isn't black. Brighter colors can sometimes compete with the display for attention, so it's nice that Rearth offers a variety of darker colors.

On the iPod, the Ringke case is nice and snug:

RingkeCase-2.jpg

RingkeCase-3.jpg

Possibly the best thing about this case is the consistency of its silicone. They really got the mixture right in creating a case that is flexible and shock absorbent, but that won't end up coated in a layer of dust and lint. The few specks of dust you see in these photos is all this case is likely to pick up ever. It's just dense enough to keep its good looks, yet flexible enough to be resilient:

RingkeCase-8.jpg

My favorite feature of this case is definitely its button covers:

RingkeCase-4.jpg

These work so much better than the bare buttons on the iPod touch 4g, which are rather difficult to reach on the sloping sides of the device. These button covers make the buttons feel much more responsive and easy to find. They also ensure that dust will not enter the device through the cracks around the buttons.

Both the volume buttons and the power button have these covers instead of cut-outs. There are cut-outs for all of the ports, for the camera, the light sensor, the speaker, and even for the Apple logo--a nice touch:

RingkeCase-5.jpg

RingkeCase-6.jpg

RingkeCase-7.jpg

As you can see, everything is accommodated nicely. There is no vignetting with either camera, and all of the ports are fully functional with the case on. I don't have a docking station of any sort, so I can't say how well this case will work with one.

I find this case to be far more comfortable in the hand than plastic skins are. The latter tend to have rough spots that scrape the fingers. This case does have a little ridge all along the sides that is probably a seam, but it's soft enough not to be a bother.

One potential weak spot of the Ringke case may be the strip that extends along the bottom of it. That is where the case is at its thinnest, and I suppose that it could be snagged easily by a rambunctious child or perhaps some object within a bag. However, after tugging on this part a bit, I didn't get a sense that it would lose its shape or break very easily. It seems plenty sturdy.

So there you have it. If you're interested in a skin-type of case, I can't imagine what more you could want for $16.99. The Ringke case is simply a great accessory for a great device.

You can find it here: http://rearthusa.com/products-page/ringke-gadget-cover/ipod-touch-4g/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.