PDA

View Full Version : My iBook grunts! what to do?

dscan99
Jan 26, 2005, 08:26 AM
The best word I can describe this funny noise my 14" iBook makes every once in a while is a light "grunting". It only lasts a second or less but it's freaking me out... My ibook is less than 3 months old .. could it be a hard drive thing? The noise is not consistent and all my apps seem to work ok..

anyone have any ideas what's causing this? :confused:

Thanks!

ricebag
Jan 26, 2005, 09:47 AM
That definitely sounds like a description of the sounds my old iBook made too, only it was bought in 2001 and it was a G3. I don't remember it happening the first two years or so I had it, but that could be faulty memory or something. It never seemed to stop working because of it. Maybe you could take it into an Apple Store and ask about it?

Artful Dodger
Jan 26, 2005, 09:52 AM
My 14" iBook I bought in Dec. makes a "grunt" sound when I put in a cd or dvd but only for a second. So is this when yours does this or is it at random? What are you doing when this happens? Like I said this sound only happens when I use (start) a cd/dvd but it sounds like my girlfriends laptop cd drive does so i'm not concerned about it.
Try to find what side the grunting is coming from since the hd is on the left front side of the track pad. If it makes you feel better call applecare and see what they say if your ibook is still under the 3 mth free phone support or if you have applecare then just call for peace of mind.

dscan99
Jan 26, 2005, 07:34 PM
My 14" iBook I bought in Dec. makes a "grunt" sound when I put in a cd or dvd but only for a second. So is this when yours does this or is it at random? What are you doing when this happens? Like I said this sound only happens when I use (start) a cd/dvd but it sounds like my girlfriends laptop cd drive does so i'm not concerned about it.
Try to find what side the grunting is coming from since the hd is on the left front side of the track pad. If it makes you feel better call applecare and see what they say if your ibook is still under the 3 mth free phone support or if you have applecare then just call for peace of mind.

It does it completely at random. No warning.. which is kinda freaky! It's been doing this on and off for about 10 days now. In the past 1/2 hour Ive been surfing now, it's only done this twice... within 2 minutes of each 'grunt'. And now it's quiet as ever!!!! I think the sound is coming from near the right speaker. not near the hd. but its sooo short (less than one second) that it's hard to tell from where... I'm just surfing sites or writing a document or something.. nothing out of the ordinary.

I'll continue to monitor it for a week and then take it to the store.

dscan99
Jan 29, 2005, 11:35 AM
So I finally found out the reason for my grunting/barking ibook. It was being caused by this silly Boca Burger ad which was appearing on a Runners forum site I frequent. Someone there had posted a thread to the effect of "why doess the forum bark at me".. and then it was a matter of putting 2 and 2 together!! And I thought it was my dear Mac ;)

sounds silly but did freak me out a bit..!!!!

maya
Jan 29, 2005, 12:14 PM
My iBook grunts! what to do?

You have a Tim Allen on your hands. :p ;) :)

dscan99
Jan 29, 2005, 12:36 PM
You have a Tim Allen on your hands. :p ;) :)

lol! it was more of a bark.. i was trying to decide which would make me sound less crazy... 'my iBook grunts' or 'my iBook barks'!!! I hate ads with sound effects!!! :rolleyes:

maya
Jan 29, 2005, 12:39 PM
lol! it was more of a bark.. i was trying to decide which would make me sound less crazy... 'my iBook grunts' or 'my iBook barks'!!! I hate ads with sound effects!!! :rolleyes:

Wowzer you have a dog trapped in your computer. :p ;) :)