PDA

View Full Version : The New Apple 2005: It's All About The iNumbers (mac360)

MacBytes
Jan 26, 2005, 09:31 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: The New Apple 2005: It\'s All About The iNumbers (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050126103124)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

SiliconAddict
Jan 26, 2005, 02:09 PM
What planet has Tera been living on? In the business world it always has been and always will be about "the numbers" In fact its so much about "the numbers" that sometimes companies get blind sided about said numbers and that is all they care about. I will direct you all to www.dilbert.com to read up on the subject. :cool:

Seriously though its about damn time Apple started focusing on market share. All I can say is I hope for the absolute best possible outcome from the release of the Mac Mini. I'd cut off an appendage (OK so maybe just my pinky toe.) if it would get Apple back up to 10% market share.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 26, 2005, 02:59 PM
I'd cut off an appendage (OK so maybe just my pinky toe.) if it would get Apple back up to 10% market share.

So will you broadcast that live online when they do? :p

The Balmer thing was entertaining - the other thread on that has some fun commentary on the whole thing.

But what did she think Apple's been doing all along? I don't think they ever gave up on the numbers game from the start - they've just been taking a different approach.

D

vollspacken
Jan 26, 2005, 06:59 PM
first, numbers always reminds me of this little thing:

Numbers

Eins zwei drei vier funf sechs sieben acht
Uno due tre quattro
Uno dos tres cuatro
One two
Ichi ni san chi
Odin dva tri

and second, I couldn'y stop laughing at "Developers-Developers-Developers" Balmer's remarks at the beginning of the article... hey big guy, guess who set foot into Xerox Parc "FIRST"..?!!! ;)

vSpacken

rdowns
Jan 26, 2005, 10:03 PM
What planet has Tera been living on? In the business world it always has been and always will be about "the numbers" In fact its so much about "the numbers" that sometimes companies get blind sided about said numbers and that is all they care about. I will direct you all to www.dilbert.com to read up on the subject. :cool:

Seriously though its about damn time Apple started focusing on market share. All I can say is I hope for the absolute best possible outcome from the release of the Mac Mini. I'd cut off an appendage (OK so maybe just my pinky toe.) if it would get Apple back up to 10% market share.

Quite a lofty goal. Apple can't even keep up their current market share (they are selling more Macs but at a lower rate than the industry is growing) given the growing PC market let alone sell 5x the number they do today. The mini is not going to do this but might provide a nice start.

24C
Jan 27, 2005, 02:13 AM
Quite a lofty goal. Apple can't even keep up their current market share (they are selling more Macs but at a lower rate than the industry is growing) given the growing PC market...snip...

Agreed, I've mentioned this before, but the analysts that keep crowing about marketshare, totally miss this. As long as Apple increase their sales, by boosting production and developing new products, they will increase their profitability. If they have compelling products that hit the spot and can ramp up production, sell them faster than the overall PC market is growing, then only then will marketshare increase.

The fact that you get one switcher buying a Mac mini, doesn't increase marketshare when 100 others are buying something else. The only marketshare figures I'd like to see are PCs in the home vs.PCs in business.