Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
Can I get the local stations with apple tv? Is it a headache to flip on the tv and watch fox news channel without a lot of fuss? My husband just discovered what we are paying for time Warner and since he bought me an iPad for Christmas I want to save us some money. How do we record or watch in other rooms?
Thanks in advance
Brenda

dino0829

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
That's not what Apple TV is designed to do, Brenda. I think the "TV" in the name throws some people. Basically it lets you wirelessly stream all your iTunes and Netflix content from your computer to your HD TV. That means movies and TV shows you've downloaded or rented, music or photos. It's not a DVR or TiVo or anything like that.

There are other ways to get outside content through Apple TV, but none that are super-easy at this point.

Stay tuned.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
Thank you. We may just move to dish and get the 12 months cheaper at least and by then maybe the options will be better. Another question: I have a wii we don't use. I could use it as an apple tv right? What about box lee? I like the idea of my fav shows being recorded for me..

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
You may want to do a bit more research. None of the devices record content. Wii can play Netflix similar to the apple tv but it doesn't "do" apple tv.

I think you are a bit confused.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If you're looking for programmable DVR functionality on a TV without much hassle, your best bet would probably be to upgrade to a DVR set top from your cable or satellite company -OR- buy a TiVo.

The TiVo Premiere box can also accept a CableCARD from your cable company, although it probably won't be any cheaper than leasing a cable company box once you factor in TiVo's service fee.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Can I get the local stations with apple tv? Is it a headache to flip on the tv and watch fox news channel without a lot of fuss? My husband just discovered what we are paying for time Warner and since he bought me an iPad for Christmas I want to save us some money. How do we record or watch in other rooms?
Thanks in advance
Brenda

It is impossible to watch the Fox News Channel without a headache on ANY device. :p

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
It's no hassle switching from a box like AppleTV to over the air channels on your HDTV. You just choose one input over another...I have my first-gen AppleTV on HDMI, my Wii (where I also watch Netflix) on 'Componant', and when I want O-T-A, I press 'TV' on my remote and flip thorugh my local channels I pull in with a set-top antenna.

Fox News is NOT available over-the-air. That would be one channel you would be giving up if you drop cable or satellite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.