PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 - Kernel Panic on Boot

ShawneeNDN
Dec 29, 2010, 06:16 PM
Howdy MacRumors...

I was just given a PowerBook G4 by a friend of mine that goes to Kernel Panic on boot.

Apparently she had taken it to the Geniuses and they don't know what's wrong with it...and have stated they think the Logic Board crashed.

I am a PC guy...I have been for a long, long time. I have built many computers and so I'm not a newbie to computers...so she asked if I wanted it to play with and see if I could fix it (she went ahead and bought a new MacBook) and so being a computer junkie I said heck yes!

Anyway...the only reason I bring that up is because I don't have any idea what I'm doing with a Mac. I want to become more proficient on a Mac, and I figured this would be a good way to do so.

Now, my question is as such...not that I am doubting the Geniuses recommendations, but I want to troubleshoot it myself and find out if that's really what's wrong.

Here is what's happening:

When you power the laptop on, it boots straight to the Kernel Panic where it states you need to restart the computer.

I have done some research and I found that you can boot a Mac in safe mode by holding down SHIFT. I tried that, and although it takes a few seconds longer before it gives you the Kernel Panic, it still goes to the Kernel Panic.

I have seen many posts about resetting the PMU...as well as some other things to try with a Kernel Panic...however from my early days of building PC's...I know not to do anything unless you know what you're doing! Haha

Also, another bit of info I found is to boot into Open Firmware...I am able to do that, however I don't know what to do once in there.

So...basically I need help knowing how to troubleshoot this problem to find out exactly what I need to do to fix it...I am having little luck finding information on the internet as I don't know where to start since I am "new" to Mac's.

Thanks in advance from this Mac newbie! Looking forward to your help and to learning this different machine!
-NDN

California
Dec 30, 2010, 12:42 AM
In all my mac experience, and I've been on Mac since 1989, I've only had one computer that did that. It was a bad logic board.

4JNA
Dec 30, 2010, 09:34 AM
most likely is the logic board, but i have had one or two systems with similar symptoms that turned out to be defective ram. if this system has two sticks, you might try removing one, or at least take them (or it) out and clean off the edge and then re-seat just to check and see if it changes the symptoms. best of luck.