Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caolan96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Derry, Northern Ireland, UK
In an attempt to reset apple tv, i stupidly held down menu and the select button instead of menu and down.

it says on the apple site i incremented the apple remote UID - i have no idea what it means or what it did, but now my apple tv wont obey the control commands. I can control it with my iphone but not with any of my apple remotes. The white LED on the front flashes which means it's recognising there's a remote there, but just not "listening" to it.

Any help, please?

Thanks,
Caolán.

kirreip

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
tried re-pairing the remote, still no joy.

think im gonna have to restore it to factory settings as a last resort :/

I have done the same thing the first day it came... Nothing helped, I had to restore it.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Ah, so it is. Yeah, 1st gen is menu+next:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1555

Actually I think we're talking about two different things. To reset the Apple TV as the OP originally did incorrectly which caused the problem, you hold menu+down. To pair a remote, you hold menu+Next. That's the same for both devices.

I think the way to resolve the issue is to go into Settings > General > Remotes and Unpair Remotes. Then if you want to pair them again it will do so with the correct UID.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
tried re-pairing the remote, still no joy.

think im gonna have to restore it to factory settings as a last resort :/

To clarify a little here, you would have to select "Unpair Remote" using the remote app on your phone, then select "Pair Apple Remote" using the Apple remote you incremented. That should work, but if you were to select "Pair Apple Remote" with your phone again it wouldn't work.

After you unpair, the :apple:TV should respond to any Apple remote, and when you re-pair you have to do it with the remote you want to pair with. If you unpair using your phone then select "Pair Apple Remote" again with your phone, the :apple:TV will keep looking for your Apple remote as it was originally configured. In other words, nothing will have changed so your problem will still be there.

Forgive me if you already know all this, but I can see how someone might select the Pair function with the remote app on the phone since they'd have it right there in their hand. It would be a very easy mistake to make.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.