PDA

View Full Version : IDE/SATA adaptor blocks boot on G4

lexden
Dec 29, 2010, 07:44 PM
There are many cheap IDE/SATA adaptors on the market that just plug into the back of a SATA drive, so you can put it on the IDE ribbon cable. I tried one but the boot just hangs, without attempting to boot from the other IDE drive. Naturally, when I boot with option key down, no systems show up. Is this some weird master/slave thing or the position on the ribbon cable? The SATA drive adaptor is on the first 40-pin connection after the motherboard (grey) and the existing IDE drive is on the other (black). The SATA drive is not partitioned yet.
The setup is a 533Mhz digital audio G4 with a 160Gb IDE and a Samsung HD103SJ 1Tb on the SATA adaptor.
If I can get this working, I'd like to move to an adaptor on the motherboard so as to have only SATA drives, but first ...

OrangeSVTguy
Dec 29, 2010, 08:23 PM
You'd only be able to access 128gb of the 1TB drive. Just buy a PCI SATA adapter card. Make sure to get one that is bootable. Most of the cheap ones out there will not be bootable. The SATA PCI card will allow you to use all 1TB of space