Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hzxu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
I am more and more worried about the impact of 2012 solar storm on my computer, as HDD and SDD differ in many aspects, I am wondering which one will survive in case of a strong solar storm?

Thanks in advance!

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
TBH I really don't enjoy justifying all the 2012 hype with a response, I will say that SSD's would be the more likely survivor, as they are less affected by a magnetic field. IIRC, solar storms like to play games with the earths magnetic field.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
While hard drives are sensitive to magnets, it takes a powerful magnet to destroy data...

I would have to imagine if a solar flare is bad enough to ruin a hard drive, you better watch out for falling cars and trucks from the sky.

But yea... go with SSD. I'm about to go to SSD for the same reason, solar flares. ;)

And by solar flares, I mean speed and durability.

• Haha
Reactions: u+ive

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
I am more and more worried about the impact of 2012 solar storm on my computer, as HDD and SDD differ in many aspects, I am wondering which one will survive in case of a strong solar storm?

Thanks in advance!

And if it happens, the question is if it hits the direction of the earth...
Links?

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
Both SSD and HDD are vulnerable to electromagnetic field.
The same for other electronic equipment.

The only way to protect your electronics is to buy some aluminum foil (the more foil, the better)
constantly check the Space Weather, and when they detect the big solar flare,
you put all your electronics to the foil (several layers) :apple:

Sweeperdk

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Århus, Denmark
To be brutally honest, IF the solar flares hit that hard, then I'd imagine there'd be a lot more worrisome issues to deal with.

A personal computer, yeah, thats a pity... However, just speculating over the amounts of electronic equipment that can be disruptet/shorted out by this, leads me to believe that a personal computer is the least worrisome thing on my mind.

That said, it is possible to take precautions :)

(And for the record, no, I don't believe anything will be affected by it on a noticeable scale.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.