Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TML

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Hi,

I was wondering if any online stores sold used or cheap Power Mac G4s?

I'm looking for one up to £500, coming with at least 500MHz, 512MB RAM, DVD burner and FireWire/USB ports, etc. I nearly won a bid on eBay yesterday for a G4 400MHz with 1GB of ram and dvd burner, with Photoshop CS and Toast included! That went for 400 quid in the end - a great deal missed.

Would any refurbished G4s come into my price range? Or would it have to be used?

Help would be appreciated!
Lloyd

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Try here. I don't have an personal experience with them but the prices are pretty good - they exclude VAT however. I did wonder if they were legit but have never got round to going there to have a look. Maybe somebody else knows?

TML

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Cheers for that. I think they are for real - I've seen their ads in loads of popular mac magazines.

I'm afraid I can't really find any G4s on there for -£500, but it looks a good place to buy 20GB iPods :)

TML

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Have been wondering about a mini - a tad too expensive though. I want to slot in hard drives and extra RAM at ease - that's not an option with the mac mini. Don't get me wrong, I love the whole design and concept! Just not for me really.

With all the bits I need, I worked out that it'd cost me around £727 including keyboard + mouse. But then again that comes with iLife and Panther.

I was thinking about something in the -£500 range?

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
Strange was speaking to a mate of mine tonight on the phone, he's sort of considering getting a new mac mini to replace his G4 tower 800 mhz I think. He'd accept £400+ for it. The hd will probably need replacing but that may be the fact he's useless with Macs, still can't get his head around the most basic tech terms....bless him. Think he's only repaired permissions once. PM me if youre interested, oh he's based in Chiswick London btw.
FYI theres loads of g4's on ebay at the mo.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
TML said:
Have been wondering about a mini - a tad too expensive though. I want to slot in hard drives and extra RAM at ease - that's not an option with the mac mini.
I'm rather looking forward to getting a £300 mini and "Pimping it out", so to speak. Have you seen the tech docs, disassembly instructions and such? Looks really easy.

Plus, an 80GB 7200rpm drive + 1GB of RAM, both imported from the US (gotta love their fiscal policies) will make for a very cheap, very fast computer - especially if you ebay the parts you've taken out!

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
hmm...a 1.25ghz mac mini with 512 ram, a superdrive and an 80gb hard drive is only 489.02 with vat.
edit: sorry, didnt read the rest

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.