Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d88co88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
MN
Hi, I have a PowerMac G4 Sawtooth that I use as kind of an "experimental" machine. So I came up with an idea of changing the power button's LED or whatever makes it light up's color. First off, is this even possible? Has anyone ever tried this? If it is, then where would I get parts to do so? Thanks!!

d88co88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
MN
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Otherwise, I just might have to tear this thing apart, which I would rather not do unless I know what I'm doing.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Otherwise, I just might have to tear this thing apart, which I would rather not do unless I know what I'm doing.

You said you'd like to change the color of the LED, then you say you'd rather not open the box or 'tear it apart'?

I'm sure you can replace the LED with another similar LED although the dimensions and such may not be exact. I do not know the sizes...could end up just being a standard LED.

Since it's an 'experimental machine' just open it up and take a look around.

d88co88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
MN
You said you'd like to change the color of the LED, then you say you'd rather not open the box or 'tear it apart'?

I'm sure you can replace the LED with another similar LED although the dimensions and such may not be exact. I do not know the sizes...could end up just being a standard LED.

Since it's an 'experimental machine' just open it up and take a look around.

Sorry, bad wording on my part. I meant I'd rather not tear it apart to have it not work. But thanks, I'll look around on ebay or something.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
You could always stick on a clear coloured gel (red,green,blue,etc) to the outside. Something similar to the red/blue coloured gel in old 3-D glasses.

d88co88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
MN
You could always stick on a clear coloured gel (red,green,blue,etc) to the outside. Something similar to the red/blue coloured gel in old 3-D glasses.

That's what I was thinking I might do - I'll try that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.