PDA

View Full Version : So I'm getting a Powerbook 12'' soon...

subl1me
Jan 26, 2005, 05:08 PM
and I've never owned an Apple before or have worked with OSX. I'm looking forward to the change. I'm mainly getting one because I play guitar and have heard great things about Garageband. I also major in computer science like to tinker around with things... Anyways, I was wondering that if I get an external DVI monitor for my powerbook, would I be able to set the laptop aside, still on of course, and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to work on the external? Or would am I limited to using the PB keyboard/touchpad...? Also..I'm really planning on just getting a slightly used one on eBay, this way I have enough money to get a 20'' external. Should I wait until the new and improved ones come out so that the soon to be older 1.33's come down in price even more?

edesignuk
Jan 26, 2005, 05:23 PM
You will be able to do what you want with regards to the monitor/keyboard/mouse setup, no problem.

If you can wait, then do. Updates should be due any time now, so you will probably either same some money, or get a better spec.

Enjoy your PB :) I just got a 15" and am more than impressed, you'll love it.

bigandy
Jan 26, 2005, 05:38 PM
just beware of potential hinge trouble (more to do with the 15") cause if you send it back the bastards might say it is your fault not theirs, alhtough its only done it since it came back from being repaired...

but yeah, i moved to my first mac from the peecee world last january and shall never look back. despite the crap service from applecare.

enjoy!

Ugg
Jan 26, 2005, 08:48 PM
If you want a good deal on a PB now, I would suggest taking a look at the Apple "Special Deals" page at the Apple Store. Currently all PBs are marked down. There's a good chance that these are brand new or store demos. They come with a one year warranty and it can be extended for two more years with Apple Care if you're interested. It's sure tempting me....