PDA

View Full Version : Goodreader vs Readdledocs

Dentifrice
Dec 31, 2010, 10:58 AM
Hi,

I'm looking for one of these apps. I want to read all kinds of files (pdf, word, excel, etc...), annotate PDF, download and upload to webdav and dropbox.

Both of them seems to do all I want. Goodreader has kind of a "cult" around it and a lot of people who tried Readdledocs seems to never go back.

Anyone here has tried both ? Which one do you prefer ?

The only thing I cannot find info about is whether or not I can do handwritten annotations on pdf in Readdledocs...

thanks

caubeck
Jan 1, 2011, 04:58 PM
I have both. I prefer Readdle. The interface feels more solid, if that makes any sense. You can add notes to PDFs but not handwritten ones.

I used to use GoodReader because it had extra features, now Readdle is virtually the same. I think Readdle is more polished and simpler to use.

MacDawg
Jan 1, 2011, 05:00 PM
I have only used GoodReader but I might have to try out Readdledocs after reading the reviews

EmmEff
Jan 1, 2011, 05:52 PM
I've been a GoodReader user since it became available on the iPad and hadn't heard of Readdle until this thread. I'm about to reconsider my dedication to GoodReader.

saberahul
Jan 1, 2011, 08:26 PM
I have been using GoodReader and ReaddleDocs since they were released. Only recently I bought PDF Expert from the makers of ReaddleDocs and I must say that this is far superior to both GoodReader and ReaddleDocs. It's a lot more expensive at $9.99 USD but it's definitely worth it.
3 of the best features I like include automatic dropbox 2 way syncing, SFTP support, and no lag when writing or drawing on PDF pages you'd typically find in GoodReader.

EmmEff
Jan 1, 2011, 08:48 PM
Is it safe to assume that the features that PDF Expert has over ReaddleDocs are mostly just annotation?

Dentifrice
Jan 2, 2011, 02:02 PM
Is it safe to assume that the features that PDF Expert has over ReaddleDocs are mostly just annotation?

you can't open files other than PDF on pdf expert

on readdledoc you can open office file..

I would buy readdledoc right now if it had handwritten annotations....

iPagan
Jan 2, 2011, 07:45 PM
I have been using GoodReader and ReaddleDocs since they were released. Only recently I bought PDF Expert from the makers of ReaddleDocs and I must say that this is far superior to both GoodReader and ReaddleDocs. It's a lot more expensive at $9.99 USD but it's definitely worth it.
3 of the best features I like include automatic dropbox 2 way syncing, SFTP support, and no lag when writing or drawing on PDF pages you'd typically find in GoodReader.

Since you recommend PDF Expert, I wonder if you know if it supports PDF's produced with JPEG 2000 image compression method?

Thanks!

anthonymoody
Jan 2, 2011, 11:24 PM
How is the search speed on readdle? I ask because as a dedicated Goodreader user (who uses my ipad as my primary computer) this is a HUGE issue for me. I have around 20GB of files in GR on my iPad and searching is pretty quick all things considered.

Even though i preferred the UI of Airsharing (another file system type app) when deciding which app to use, it's searh function was abysmally slow, making the app unusable for me.

All this said, my real hope is that Apple makes these issues go away with a proper files app/file system.

I know you guys are focused on PDF annotation but many people use these apps as de facto file systems as i do so...

dws90
Jan 3, 2011, 12:09 PM
Could somebody describe the Dropbox syncing functionality of PDF Expert? The iTunes listing for the app doesn't go into much detail, and I'd like to make sure that it means what I think it means before I spend $10 on the app.

Does "sync" mean that you have any changes you make to a PDF in PDF Expert automatically get updated on Dropbox, so when you open the file on your computer the new annotations are already there? Or does "sync" simply mean that you can both download from Dropbox and upload to Dropbox, but keeping track of the latest version is up to you (as is the case with Goodreader)?

Thanks.

Mad Mac Maniac
Apr 26, 2011, 09:18 PM
I'm looking into these apps also.

Is there any benefit to good reader besides PDF hand notation?

I'm leaning towards readdledocs, especially because I snagged it up when it was free on the iPhone. I'm really only needing a file storage system

kaibob
Apr 27, 2011, 01:41 AM
I have both. I prefer the interface of ReaddleDocs, but Goodreader does a lot of little stuff that I like a lot. As a result, I use Goodreader, while ReaddlDocs is pretty much unused. There have not been any major upgrades to ReaddleDocs of late--perhaps a major one is on the way. Right now, between the two, I would get Goodreader.

EmmEff
Apr 27, 2011, 10:21 AM
I've never used ReaddleDocs, but I've been a Goodreader user since the beginning. In short, I'd say that Goodreader works very well but the user interface is more utilitarian than anything else. It's not pretty but it works very well!

franmatt80
Apr 27, 2011, 01:45 PM
Could somebody describe the Dropbox syncing functionality of PDF Expert? The iTunes listing for the app doesn't go into much detail, and I'd like to make sure that it means what I think it means before I spend $10 on the app.

Does "sync" mean that you have any changes you make to a PDF in PDF Expert automatically get updated on Dropbox, so when you open the file on your computer the new annotations are already there? Or does "sync" simply mean that you can both download from Dropbox and upload to Dropbox, but keeping track of the latest version is up to you (as is the case with Goodreader)?

Thanks.

Hi,

I've used all three quite extensively - as well as Airsharing in the early days. I gave Pdf Expert and Readdledocs a good long trial - the sync works in exactly the same way as the GR sync, except the Readdle apps didn't handle larger folders as well as GR (just kept failing) and GR has a more intuitive way of handling conflicts - that was the main reason I have switched over to GR permanently.

I also found it a little annoying that by using the 2 Readdle apps (as opposed to an all-in-one app like GR) I often ended up with duplicate local copies of things, which meant when I performed a sync with Dropbox, sometimes an older version would overwrite the newer.

Pdf Expert has by far the cleanest UI (IMO) but I have found GR a better all-rounder. The pdf searching has been significantly faster for me in GR too.

xraydoc
Apr 28, 2011, 09:21 PM
I'm a GoodReader fan.

TheSkinsFactory
Apr 28, 2011, 10:17 PM
Our app doesn't do annotating but it's a pretty extensive file viewer/reader/organizer. You can see here: http://www.zenviewer.com

While it can't annotate it has Open In functionality so you could store your files in Zen Viewer and then open them in one of the annotation apps and if they also support open in, then you could save it back to Zen Viewer. And in case you don't want to take my word for it (I am biased of course):

"Reads nearly anything, plays nearly everything, & even lets you record audio. Zen Viewer HD from The Skins Factory succeeds impressively..." — Mac | Life ★★★★ (Rated: Excellent)

"Zen Viewer is a feast for the eyes... The app is fast & responsive." — Cult of Mac ★★★★ (Rated: 4/5)

"Zen Viewer's interface & capabilities have made it one of my new favorites." — TUAW

"If you're looking for an innovative & great-looking iPad file manager, Zen Viewer is one of the new apps of 2011 to try out." — MacStories

"A must-have app... A full featured file viewer & reader with a touch of class." — AppAdvice ★★★★ (Rated: 4.5/5)

"Beautiful file management for the iPad." — AppStorm (Rated: 9/10)

I had the iPad on day one. One of the first apps i purchased was GoodReader. It was buggy at the time and the interface was ridiculous. Now I own a user interface design studio so i'm pickier than most people. Now flash forward to today and GoodReader is less buggy but the UI is still ridiculous. That's why we created Zen Viewer - because you should be able to have both form and function.

Readdlemate
Apr 29, 2011, 01:34 PM
Hello guys,

I would love to answer all your questions.

So, let's begin.

1) ReaddleDocs and PDF Expert are essentially 2 different products. If you need a powerful file manager with clean UI - you would have to go for ReaddleDocs. However, if you need extensive PDF annotations features, PDF Forms and Signature support - PDF Expert might be a better choice.

2) Someone wrote that you can open just PDF files in PDF Expert - this is not true. PDF Expert handles all types of documents.

3) The difference between RD and PDF Expert is not only in annotations (highlights, handwritten annotations, water marks, signatures, strike-out, type onto PDFs, much more). PDF Expert is the only app in the AppStore that supports PDF Forms (even with calculations). It can also save all your changes as Flatten, so your annotations or signatures won't be changed.

4) Two-way dropbox sync works like charm. With a single tap the whole folder can be two-way synced to the Dropbox, iDisk, SugarSync or any WebDAV storage. All you do is choose folder, press sync. Later on, when you add files from desktop or iPad it will automatically sync both ways.

5) Search speed for GR and RD is pretty much the same.

Personally I use PDF Expert for all my needs. I read a lot of academic articles, annotate them, sync with my Readdle Storage and Dropbox. Also, I copy movies from my Macbook my drag and drop onto iPad to watch while traveling. More info about PDF Expert for iPad here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1133057&highlight=readdlemate

I hope that helps.

For more questions feel free to write here, follow @readdle (http://twitter.com/readdle) or like our FB fan page http://facebook.com/readdle

http://readdle.com

Denys

franmatt80
Apr 30, 2011, 06:21 PM
Readdlemate, thanks for your post. I wonder- is there any reason to use Readdledocs above PDF expert in that case? Is there anything that Rdocs can do that PExpert can't? I'm just thinking - I love the UI of PExpert, and if that can handle everything that Rdocs can, I might switch back from GReader to PExpt and use that as my all-in-one file manager and PDF annotater etc....it was having everything split across the two Readdle apps that I didn't like, and the reason I switched to GReader to consolidate everything....

Readdlemate
May 1, 2011, 04:59 AM
Readdlemate, thanks for your post. I wonder- is there any reason to use Readdledocs above PDF expert in that case? Is there anything that Rdocs can do that PExpert can't? I'm just thinking - I love the UI of PExpert, and if that can handle everything that Rdocs can, I might switch back from GReader to PExpt and use that as my all-in-one file manager and PDF annotater etc....it was having everything split across the two Readdle apps that I didn't like, and the reason I switched to GReader to consolidate everything....

I would say go for PDF Expert. It does everything.

RD has less features than PDF Expert. We did it because some people might not need to have annotations, Forms support, etc. That's why they shouldn't be charged for those features.

luckystriked
May 1, 2011, 06:39 AM
Does readdledocs has a built in browser to download pdfs?

Readdlemate
May 1, 2011, 02:02 PM
Does readdledocs has a built in browser to download pdfs?

Yes, it does that flawlessly.

luckystriked
May 1, 2011, 06:51 PM
So I bought Readdledocs so I can download pdfs from a very specific site and now this app can't download them, what can I do now? I feel like i just wasted 5,99. :(

Readdlemate
May 1, 2011, 07:14 PM
So I bought Readdledocs so I can download pdfs from a very specific site and now this app can't download them, what can I do now? I feel like i just wasted 5,99. :(

What did you mean by saying 'very specific site' ?

Normally, you go from browser on a web-site or click directly on PDF link. It opens for preview. By pressing Save as a PDF button you can save it onto your iPad.

spacepower7
May 2, 2011, 01:22 AM
Hey Readdlemate,

I haven't checked out your apps in awhile but they all seem nice but sometimes it is confusing to decide which one to buy.

Lately, I have been "consulting" a lot of friends on which apps they should get for their workflow/business.

Do any of your apps do the zoom/cropping and locking feature for PDFs that goodreader has? This is the number 1 problem with iBooks, or at least last time I tried. This feature is especially important to my lawyer and grad student friends, and why I have always recommend goodreader.

Side notes:
With Apple's walled garden or whatever, you would think that their excessive control would allow time limited demos of apps, allowing people to try apps before buying.

After spending $80 on Mac and both iOS versions of "Things" with the promise of cloud sync for much more than a year, maybe two, I don't trust new companies as much. Not a comment at your company but a generalization. I wish I could get refunds.... from the app store for but honestly, Apple knows it is not worth my time to call and email.

Readdlemate
May 2, 2011, 06:19 AM
Hey Readdlemate,

I haven't checked out your apps in awhile but they all seem nice but sometimes it is confusing to decide which one to buy.

Lately, I have been "consulting" a lot of friends on which apps they should get for their workflow/business.

Do any of your apps do the zoom/cropping and locking feature for PDFs that goodreader has? This is the number 1 problem with iBooks, or at least last time I tried. This feature is especially important to my lawyer and grad student friends, and why I have always recommend goodreader.

Side notes:
With Apple's walled garden or whatever, you would think that their excessive control would allow time limited demos of apps, allowing people to try apps before buying.

After spending $80 on Mac and both iOS versions of "Things" with the promise of cloud sync for much more than a year, maybe two, I don't trust new companies as much. Not a comment at your company but a generalization. I wish I could get refunds.... from the app store for but honestly, Apple knows it is not worth my time to call and email.

Hi,

Thanks for your questions.

Why is it hard to decide which one to buy? It really depends what for you're going to use these apps, what kind of work flow do you have, etc.

Yes, both of our apps (ReaddleDocs and PDF Expert for iPad) have zoom/crop/lock mode.

As for a company and reputation, it would be better for us to give away refunds also. Truth be told, we are not interested in someones $4.99 if the person is dissatisfied. It only happens when they didn't read description and don't know how to use guidelines. However, I can tell that 95% of our clients/customers are happy about our products and exceptional customer support service.

I hope that helps.
Feel free to ask further questions.

luckystriked
May 2, 2011, 08:09 AM
What did you mean by saying 'very specific site' ?

Normally, you go from browser on a web-site or click directly on PDF link. It opens for preview. By pressing Save as a PDF button you can save it onto your iPad.

It's a .php website that has an embedded pdf.

Readdlemate
May 2, 2011, 09:27 AM
It's a .php website that has an embedded pdf.

Well..Fair enough. In order to save PDF you have to have a link with a pdf content. I had a talk with our devs, he told me that it is practically impossible to do via embedded pdf. I quite sure no app can do that.

Sorry, but unfortunately I can't help you here. You can contact Apple of you want a refund.

anjinha
May 2, 2011, 09:41 PM
Readdlemate: Are there plans to add a browser to PDF Expert like on ReaddleDocs?

luckystriked
May 3, 2011, 08:26 AM
Well..Fair enough. In order to save PDF you have to have a link with a pdf content. I had a talk with our devs, he told me that it is practically impossible to do via embedded pdf. I quite sure no app can do that.

Sorry, but unfortunately I can't help you here. You can contact Apple of you want a refund.

There's an app called "downloads for ipad lite" (so it's free), that can download the pdf and then I can open the files on ibooks or readdledocs. It's not very practical but it's the only workaround I found..

Readdlemate
May 3, 2011, 10:43 AM
Readdlemate: Are there plans to add a browser to PDF Expert like on ReaddleDocs?

Not really. We have Terra as a Browser, check it out. It is free.

anjinha
May 3, 2011, 05:28 PM
Not really. We have Terra as a Browser, check it out. It is free.

I meant an in-app browser like ReaddleDocs has so we can download documents from the web from within the app. It seems silly that PDF Expert, which is supposedly a more powerful app than ReaddleDocs, doesn't have it.

Readdlemate
May 3, 2011, 06:42 PM
I meant an in-app browser like ReaddleDocs has so we can download documents from the web from within the app. It seems silly that PDF Expert, which is supposedly a more powerful app than ReaddleDocs, doesn't have it.

Well, built-in browser for ReaddleDocs was created at a time when there were no interaction between apps, so we had to keep users within the app. Nowadays, all browsers have 'open in' feature, which works perfectly.

So we believe, in-app browser for PDF Expert is not a must. Instead, we are focusing on core features such as signatures, pdf forms, enterprise version, etc.

By the way, we're currently working on the new major updated for PDF Expert. It will bring many new features and new UI.

franmatt80
May 4, 2011, 06:28 PM
Well, built-in browser for ReaddleDocs was created at a time when there were no interaction between apps, so we had to keep users within the app. Nowadays, all browsers have 'open in' feature, which works perfectly.

So we believe, in-app browser for PDF Expert is not a must. Instead, we are focusing on core features such as signatures, pdf forms, enterprise version, etc.

By the way, we're currently working on the new major updated for PDF Expert. It will bring many new features and new UI.

Gosh, I hope the UI change doesn't move back towards the Readdledocs UI which I don't think is nearly as neat. That'll be enough to send me back to Goodreader...

epicmar
May 4, 2011, 07:57 PM
I purchased Readdledocs first and used it for a long time on my iPhone. After I purchased an iPad 2 and started loading lots and lots of files I needed an app that would help me keep track of files that I needed to review and find new files faster (I have hundreds of files in lots of subdirectories). I switched to GoodReader because it has the ability to Star files and gives you a filtered list of Starred files as well as recently added files.

That plus the better PDF file annotation capabilities have me sold on GoodReader.

GoodReader just did a nice update today that includes a really slick and easy to use control bar for PDF annotations, highlights, etc.

hitekalex
May 4, 2011, 10:57 PM
I have both. Prefer ReaddleDocs on iPad - much nicer UI. GoodReader UI has gotten to be such a mess over time.

One gripe I have with both of these apps is their inability to copy Videos from Camera Roll. GR tries to "compress" videos before transferring it over. RD just hangs. If any of these apps devs reading this - is it not possible to copy videos from Camera Roll into an app *unmodified* ?

franmatt80
May 5, 2011, 02:37 AM
Hi Readdlemate, I don't suppose your PDF expert update will include the ability to save a web page will it? I use the GR function a lot where you can install a bookmarklet in your bookmarks bar and then just hit that if you want to save a page for offline reading- works excellently in GR.

Readdlemate
May 5, 2011, 11:42 AM
Hi Readdlemate, I don't suppose your PDF expert update will include the ability to save a web page will it? I use the GR function a lot where you can install a bookmarklet in your bookmarks bar and then just hit that if you want to save a page for offline reading- works excellently in GR.

We have the ability to save page for offline view in ReaddleDocs and Terra. How does PDF annotation app go along with viewing pages? Jack of all trades = master of none. That's why many people are unhappy with GR's interface.

franmatt80
May 5, 2011, 01:04 PM
We have the ability to save page for offline view in ReaddleDocs and Terra. How does PDF annotation app go along with viewing pages? Jack of all trades = master of none. That's why many people are unhappy with GR's interface.

Umm... Maybe. But I think what people seem to be after is one app that can just about do everything, to save having multiple copies of documents spread through a bunch of different apps that have only slightly different functionality. That's why, despite the slightly dodgy UI of GR, so many stick with it because it offers so much functionality and the option to keep everything in one place. Readdle doesn't quite do that - therefore I need to have two of your apps to do what GR does in one.

Not a criticism at all, because as I've prevsiouly said, I much prefer the PDF Expert UI over all of them. However as people's usage of the iPad develops - especially those using it for business like myself- I would imagine that demand will move towards streamlining the workflow so the majority of functions can be achieved through as few apps as possible. So while saving web pages might now seem to be an obvious function of a PDF annotation app, perhaps that's what people will be looking for.... Just my opinion of course.

epicmar
May 5, 2011, 01:30 PM
Umm... Maybe. But I think what people seem to be after is one app that can just about do everything, to save having multiple copies of documents spread through a bunch of different apps that have only slightly different functionality. That's why, despite the slightly dodgy UI of GR, so many stick with it because it offers so much functionality and the option to keep everything in one place. Readdle doesn't quite do that - therefore I need to have two of your apps to do what GR does in one.

Not a criticism at all, because as I've prevsiouly said, I much prefer the PDF Expert UI over all of them. However as people's usage of the iPad develops - especially those using it for business like myself- I would imagine that demand will move towards streamlining the workflow so the majority of functions can be achieved through as few apps as possible. So while saving web pages might now seem to be an obvious function of a PDF annotation app, perhaps that's what people will be looking for.... Just my opinion of course.

I agree - I use GR extensively for work. What I really want is an application that integrates Awesome Note functionality (although I would like to see AN do a major update) with GR functionality.

Mad Mac Maniac
May 11, 2011, 10:56 PM
I'll probably grab whichever one goes on sale first. *wink wink* ;)

maclaptop
May 12, 2011, 09:05 AM
I have both. I prefer Readdle. The interface feels more solid, if that makes any sense. You can add notes to PDFs but not handwritten ones.

I used to use GoodReader because it had extra features, now Readdle is virtually the same. I think Readdle is more polished and simpler to use.

I agree with this evaluation as well. I must also say that if you do a lot of reading for extended times like over an hour, nothing beats the newest Kindle.

I use both a new Kindle & iPad 2. That's the perfect combo, especially if you wish to avoid eyestrain.

macxs
May 18, 2011, 07:52 AM
I would say go for PDF Expert. It does everything.

RD has less features than PDF Expert. We did it because some people might not need to have annotations, Forms support, etc. That's why they shouldn't be charged for those features.

I have readdledocs but now want to use pdf expert. Considering your statement above, is there an option for readdledocs owners to upgrade to pdfexpert without having to pay the full price? With what you said, buying pdfexpert will make readdledocs redundant. Thanks.

pagansoul
May 18, 2011, 02:35 PM
I have both but use Goodreader most because I use it to place many of my comics into neat folders. I'm not using it to write or edit documents but if you just have finished pdfs you want to read, I like it better.

Readdlemate
May 18, 2011, 03:27 PM
I have readdledocs but now want to use pdf expert. Considering your statement above, is there an option for readdledocs owners to upgrade to pdfexpert without having to pay the full price? With what you said, buying pdfexpert will make readdledocs redundant. Thanks.

Well, ReaddleDocs and PDF Expert are essentially quite different by positioning. RD is focused on work with files and grab them from anywhere (it has built in browser, more convenient viewer for images, mp3 player, etc).

While PDF Expert for iPad are mainly used for extensive work with PDF files, allowing to annotate, fill forms, etc.

We have happy customers, who use both these apps.

mountcurve
May 18, 2011, 05:01 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your questions.

Why is it hard to decide which one to buy? It really depends what for you're going to use these apps, what kind of work flow do you have, etc.

Yes, both of our apps (ReaddleDocs and PDF Expert for iPad) have zoom/crop/lock mode.

As for a company and reputation, it would be better for us to give away refunds also. Truth be told, we are not interested in someones $4.99 if the person is dissatisfied. It only happens when they didn't read description and don't know how to use guidelines. However, I can tell that 95% of our clients/customers are happy about our products and exceptional customer support service.

I hope that helps.
Feel free to ask further questions.

Your comments are very helpful in deciding between ReaddleDocs and Goodreader. I just downloaded Readdle Docs on my Ipad 2 and figured out how to create folders to clean up the files and amount of pdfs I have for different clients. My challenge is that when I open a pdf file through Readdle Docs it doesn't show the property photos. I sell real estate and photos are the most important part of my pdf marketing packages. The aerial photo and location maps appear but not 6-8 property photos which are saved on one pdf page within the document. How can I fix this? Thanks for your advice.

Readdlemate
May 19, 2011, 03:45 AM
Your comments are very helpful in deciding between ReaddleDocs and Goodreader. I just downloaded Readdle Docs on my Ipad 2 and figured out how to create folders to clean up the files and amount of pdfs I have for different clients. My challenge is that when I open a pdf file through Readdle Docs it doesn't show the property photos. I sell real estate and photos are the most important part of my pdf marketing packages. The aerial photo and location maps appear but not 6-8 property photos which are saved on one pdf page within the document. How can I fix this? Thanks for your advice.

Can you please e-mail your documents to team@support.readdle.com ? Our support team will take a look at this issue.

Thanks.

safetyobc
May 19, 2011, 08:53 AM
Nevermind. Found the answer in an earlier post..

Does Readdle have 2 way syncing with Dropbox (the answer was yes)

knightskid
May 19, 2011, 09:40 AM
I am using Goodreader at the moment, but have a problem regards about scanning paper to pdf, and not able to highlight text at all. Does PDF expert able to do that?

Readdlemate
May 19, 2011, 11:42 AM
I am using Goodreader at the moment, but have a problem regards about scanning paper to pdf, and not able to highlight text at all. Does PDF expert able to do that?

The ability to highlight text heavily depends on type of PDF. Once you have scanned page, each page is saved as a bitmap image, so no app can figure out where are the words themselves. You may use freehand marker for that.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 17, 2011, 08:08 PM
How do these apps fit in to the world of icloud? Does it make sense to have iCloud support?

EmmEff
Jun 17, 2011, 08:28 PM
How do these apps fit in to the world of icloud? Does it make sense to have iCloud support?

Of course it does and hopefully both companies will support iCloud. That should mean reading PDFs and writing annotated PDFs from iCloud storage.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 17, 2011, 09:24 PM
Of course it does and hopefully both companies will support iCloud. That should mean reading PDFs and writing annotated PDFs from iCloud storage.

I guess what I mean is how does it connect to the "outside world".

iCloud seems very much focused on keeping the entirety of the content inside that app to remove the filesystem. These apps work well because you can easily flow documents between them and their appropriate respective apps. iCloud would be limiting.

EmmEff
Jun 20, 2011, 12:17 PM
I guess what I mean is how does it connect to the "outside world".

iCloud seems very much focused on keeping the entirety of the content inside that app to remove the filesystem. These apps work well because you can easily flow documents between them and their appropriate respective apps. iCloud would be limiting.

I don't think that's the case at all. iCloud should interface with the outside world as just another filesystem. You should be able to drag files in and out at will. Right now, to put files into Goodreader you need to sync through iTunes or through a supported cloud service, so why would iCloud act any differently?

Mad Mac Maniac
Aug 1, 2011, 11:02 AM
FWIW Readdledocs appears to be on sale currently for $2.99.

teseus
Aug 3, 2011, 02:52 AM
Goodreader has been my most used app from the beginning cos I have to read a lot of texts on the go. I love reading with the text reflow and its possibility of adjusting background and font colour and switching between day and night modes. The only thing I really miss in this app is to highlight text and add comments in text reflow (I often mark the texts I read and every time I want to highlight or add a comment I have to switch from reflow to normal mode where fonts are usually very small and marking is quite cumbersome). My question is: Is it possible in Readdledocs to add comments while reading with text reflow or to change the font size in original pdf/doc file?

knp
Dec 1, 2011, 12:31 PM
I wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has used both recently. I just got an iPad & want to invest in either one of these apps, but can't decide for the life of me. Both the same price tag & very similar features, but which one offers more bang for the buck?

I use Dropbox, Evernote, deal with a lot of.PDFs & Office documents for school, so if that helps with deciding which app might be better tailored to my needs... or if both are pretty much the same.

hitekalex
Dec 1, 2011, 12:49 PM
Both apps are very similar feature wise. I personally prefer ReaddleDocs, as its UI is a lot more thought out and aesthetically pleasing, as compared to Good Reader.

That said, you probably won't go wrong with either app.

I wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has used both recently. I just got an iPad & want to invest in either one of these apps, but can't decide for the life of me. Both the same price tag & very similar features, but which one offers more bang for the buck?

I use Dropbox, Evernote, deal with a lot of.PDFs & Office documents for school, so if that helps with deciding which app might be better tailored to my needs... or if both are pretty much the same.

knp
Dec 1, 2011, 01:32 PM
Both apps are very similar feature wise. I personally prefer ReaddleDocs, as its UI is a lot more thought out and aesthetically pleasing, as compared to Good Reader.

Thanks for your input, hitekalex. I know a lot of older search results have touted GR as an amazing "swiss army knife"-like app, but it seems Readdle has upped its game at this point in my search.

Mad Mac Maniac
Dec 1, 2011, 01:36 PM

This.

I have readdledocs, and it's great. The advantage of goodreader is PDF annotation. But Readdle has another app called PDF Expert ($9.99) which does PDF annotation great.

knp
Dec 1, 2011, 01:39 PM
The advantage of goodreader is PDF annotation. But Readdle has another app called PDF Expert ($9.99) which does PDF annotation great.

Are the PDF annotation capabilities of ReaddleDocs not up to par with GR? I have seen PDF Expert, but am really hoping to stick to the best "all-in-one" app for now.

Mad Mac Maniac
Dec 1, 2011, 01:49 PM
Are the PDF annotation capabilities of ReaddleDocs not up to par with GR? I have seen PDF Expert, but am really hoping to stick to the best "all-in-one" app for now.

Well in ReaddleDocs you can only add hidden typed notes, and highlight/underline text. In other words, no free hand annotations.

It's my understanding that PDF expert DOES have all the same capabilities as readdledocs (which is kinda like a storage unit for all your cloud services), but also with more advanced annotation, filling out forms ability, signature etc. I think the only thing you can't do in PDF expert is browse the web, which isn't really needed anyway.

Readdlemate
Dec 1, 2011, 04:22 PM

If you need basic PDF annotations - ReaddleDocs will be more than okay for you.

I explained the difference between PDF Expert and ReaddleDocs (maybe even in this post :) ). But if you want - I can do it again.

Feel free to ask questions.

Fedorov
Dec 2, 2011, 11:38 AM
Looking forward to ReaddleDocs update on iPhone to match the amazing new iPad version recently released. Is there an ETA please?

knp
Dec 3, 2011, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the input to those who've replied to me! I bought RD -- can't wait to give it a spin.

roycemac
Dec 28, 2011, 06:32 AM
This seems a bit mundane considering this thread content, but I jsut ot my first Ipad and my biggest problem is reading Excel Workbooks/Sheets with teh formulas intact and the cell COMMENTS.
Can Readdle view excel sheets with Comments intact?

jojoba
Dec 29, 2011, 08:42 AM
Another fan of PDF Expert here. Great UI.

roycemac
Dec 30, 2011, 03:47 PM
I have had contact with Both Readdle Docs and DataVz (DocsToGo) and both were very disappointing.

My biggest need was viewing an Excel sheet WITH its Cell Comments. Both claimes that they provide this in their apps. Both LIED.
Neither app was able to do this and this was confirmed by both companies via email with Support.

Even more disappointing, however, was the fact that BOTH apps performed so poorly with Excel sheets.

Docs to Go only took a few sheets of a workbook...usually 2 to 3, ignoring all the other sheets in that workbook. It was random from book to book.
The screen refresh was awful...with long pauses everytime you moved the sheet to view another section (no other apps were running on my Ipad...and yes I do know how to turn them off). Too bad since the Bluetooth Sync worked well. But if it doesn't take all the sheets in a workbook...its fairly useless...and yes, I tested the same workbook through Itunes and a hardwire...same results.

Readdle Docs was juut as poor, but for different reasons.
It, too, cannot read Excel comments, but worse was the incredibly bad interface. The TABS (the sheets of a workbook) display across the top of the screen and you choose the sheet you want to view. Unbelievably, when you scroll the tabs and choose another sheet to view, you have to scroll back all the way to the LEFT to see the sheet! The software binds the TABS to the SHEET VIEW! Are you kidding me?

A big F for both apps IF you want to view more than just the grocery list from an Excel sheet. Shame on them both for making claims about Excel capabilities that neither of them have.

roycemac
Dec 30, 2011, 04:16 PM
I have Reported the Problem with Itunes for both these apps...as Dataviz instructed me to do.
Itunes immediately redirected me back the Developer for both apps.
i have requested a refund from both companies.

We will now see how this is handled. I am NOT going away and I want all to see how this plays out so they know what companies are honest and what companies are not.
I can go right to Mastercard and force the refund, btu I would rather they both step up and do the right thing.

We shall see.

stiwi
Jan 2, 2012, 07:24 PM
Does ReaddleDocs and GoodReader have the same features? Are there any major differences between them except UI?
Which one would handle large (more than 100MB) PDF files better?

Fedorov
Jan 5, 2012, 05:31 AM
Any New Year news on an update to the iPhone ReaddleDocs to match the great iPad version please?

roycemac
Jan 10, 2012, 05:29 AM
I am happy to report that both Readdle Docs and Dataviz returned with the offer of a refund.

Readdlemate
Jan 11, 2012, 03:18 PM
Any New Year news on an update to the iPhone ReaddleDocs to match the great iPad version please?

The update is 95% ready. We will let you know when it's out.

ekwipt
Jan 12, 2012, 07:04 AM
I have been using Goodreader since I first bought my iPad1 and they've beensteady with the updates, new features and bug fixes? It would be in my top ten most used apps easily, maybe top 5 :apple:

mantic
Jan 15, 2012, 12:06 AM
How does PDF expert handle .ppt files? Can they be edited and annotated/notes added in a similar fashion as Powerpoint?

Amazing Iceman
Jan 18, 2012, 03:13 PM
I have been using Goodreader since I first bought my iPad1 and they've beensteady with the updates, new features and bug fixes? It would be in my top ten most used apps easily, maybe top 5 :apple:

I also prefer GoodReader. I have tried both apps, and I loved ReaddleDocs too, but when the time became to decide between those two, I chose GoodReader because it supports PDF handwritten annotations and also reading multiple documents at a time (using a tabbed interface).

True, I kind of prefer ReaddleDocs file management interface, and background synchronization, but I can't use both at a time and have my files duplicated on both apps.

But I keep testing both apps every time there's an update...

Truz223
Feb 3, 2013, 07:32 AM
One thing I love at Goodreader which I have not found in Readdle Documents is a tabbing option for files. I use to switch between files a lot when bringing Information together and love the ability to have like 9 tabs open in GoodReader. In Documents the only way to do this is use the Recent used Documents in the menu. Is there any way to have tabs in Documents ? I prefer the looks to the looks of GoodReader.

Thank you