PDA

View Full Version : CNN app putting ads on my lock screen

Acorn
Dec 31, 2010, 02:31 PM
CNN app keeps putting random ads on my iPad lock screen. So I'm seeing ads outside of the application. Is this common now with free apps. I don't mind ads if I'm in the application but spamming my lock screen is a bit annoying.

SandboxGeneral
Dec 31, 2010, 02:34 PM
This is the first I've heard of that happening. If it were happing to me, I'd be uninstalling the app and leaving a bad review in the iTunes Store. I don't need that kind of headache.

Acorn
Dec 31, 2010, 02:39 PM
Yea I went to unlock and there was a CNN headline there I was like WTF? then I noticed it kept doing it. Never seen an app give an ad outside the application before. That's why I asked. I will leave feedback for it. I hope this isn't the future of ads. It could be real difficult to track down if the add doesn't list his owner. I have nightmares already of trying to weed through every app to find out who is spamming ads.

SandboxGeneral
Dec 31, 2010, 02:49 PM
I don't know for sure, but I would have to think that would be a violation of the App Store rules. Do you know if it was an iAd, Google Ad or some other mobile ad service? Either way, I guess I would even report it to Apple.

Acorn
Dec 31, 2010, 02:52 PM
I should be more specific. It's CNN headline ads for their story's. It still modified my lock screen.....

TuffLuffJimmy
Dec 31, 2010, 02:55 PM
I should be more specific. It's CNN headline ads for their story's. It still modified my lock screen.....

You're getting Push notifications about headlining stories. Turn notifications off if you don't want them.

SandboxGeneral
Dec 31, 2010, 02:56 PM
So it's CNN themselves. Still I think the apps are supposed to be sandboxed and not operate outside the purview of the app itself. Especially in the way you describe. If that is the future, the future is gonna really suck.

rdowns
Dec 31, 2010, 02:56 PM
Ooops, another thread started in anger. Happy New Year!

Acorn
Dec 31, 2010, 03:01 PM
You're getting Push notifications about headlining stories. Turn notifications off if you don't want them.

To late already deleted. I don't want notifications outside of the application. Especially on my lock screen. I don't see my mail on my lock screen. Sorry that's just rude..

TuffLuffJimmy
Dec 31, 2010, 03:09 PM
To late already deleted. I don't want notifications outside of the application. Especially on my lock screen. I don't see my mail on my lock screen. Sorry that's just rude..

You don't know what you're talking about. The application asked you if you want notifications and you had to have pressed "Yes" for it to send you notifications.

Acorn
Dec 31, 2010, 03:16 PM
When I want push on my mail my new mail is delivered to me when I open the app. Your the one who doesn't know what your talking about. I want push on CNN so I get new info when its open. Not randomly on my device when I'm not even using it

TuffLuffJimmy
Dec 31, 2010, 03:23 PM
When I want push on my mail my new mail is delivered to me when I open the app. Your the one who doesn't know what your talking about. I want push on CNN so I get new info when its open. Not randomly on my device when I'm not even using it

You still have no idea what you're talking about. Push means that the application will send you notifications when the application is closed. If you don't want that then turn Push off. You will still get your email and other notifications when you are in the application.

NOTE: Push email and Push notifications are turned off in separate menus in the Settings applications.

rdowns
Dec 31, 2010, 03:23 PM

That may be what you want but that's not how it works.

MaxBurn
Dec 31, 2010, 04:04 PM
Whats the problem? Just turn off notifications for that app either in the app or in settings. If it is on it will push whenever it can, so if you leave the wifi on it will push even when not in use.

Acorn
Dec 31, 2010, 04:11 PM
Ok I understand. Well I don't like how that works. I don't want stuff messing with my lockscrean. I want my push notifications to be tied to the app. Unfortunatly for me that's not how it works. At least not always. So I will have to turn push off or not install apps that do that. Thats the first app that i ever had that in some way whether given the option or not has messed with my lock screen. Hopefully its the last.

hitekalex
Dec 31, 2010, 11:05 PM
So I will have to turn push off or not install apps that do that. Thats the first app that i ever had that in some way whether given the option or not has messed with my lock screen. Hopefully its the last.

Apps that do what?? Push pop-ups for ANY app will be displayed on lockscreen. That's iOS-wide behavior, and nothing that CNN or any other third party app has any control over.

If you don't like it - turn off notifications in app settings (you can still keep sounds/badges).. Or you can complain to Apple about the way they implemented push. It's that simple.

Full of Win
Jan 1, 2011, 08:35 AM
Perhaps you should consider deleting it and moving to another news app that does not foist commercials to you like this one from CNN.

May I suggest FoxNews or CNBC as a source for apps. Neither of these do as you are describing. Heck AP might be another to consider.

JMHO, but when ANY app starts to push ads to you like this, it shows a complete lack of respect. If I were you, I'll tell CNN that you are not their chattel and therefore you will be deleting their Ad delivery App.

JNGold
Jan 1, 2011, 10:58 AM
Perhaps you should consider deleting it and moving to another news app that does not foist commercials to you like this one from CNN.

May I suggest FoxNews or CNBC as a source for apps. Neither of these do as you are describing. Heck AP might be another to consider.

JMHO, but when ANY app starts to push ads to you like this, it shows a complete lack of respect. If I were you, I'll tell CNN that you are not their chattel and therefore you will be deleting their Ad delivery App.

The Op was total misrepresenting the situation and clearly did not understand what push notifications were meant to accomplish. I use the CNN app and have the push notification active and there are NO ads or other info displayed. The only item that is displayed is the news alert dialog box that shows the news story. If you unlock your screen immediately after receicpving the push, the CNN app will open itself.

Before people go spouting off or making judgments, it is important to understand what the app is doing and what the functionality is meant to provide.

saberahul
Jan 1, 2011, 08:23 PM
Here is a very very simple solution. Download whatever app you want (such as CNN) - when prompted for "Would you like Push Notifications? Say No. If you hit yes, go to Settings --> Notifications --> For the app you downloaded or want no notifications or only certain types such as (badge, alert, or sound) turn them on.

To the OP: you don't want it on your lock screen, yes? Then you should turn off the "Alerts" option for CNN.

pasipple
Jan 2, 2011, 12:16 PM
CNN does not push ads. The OP doesn't know the difference between pushed news alerts and advertisements....and apparently doesn't know a lot about the workings of her iPad.

Take some time and learn how your iPad and apps function.

macfan881
Jan 2, 2011, 12:40 PM
Ok I understand. Well I don't like how that works. I don't want stuff messing with my lockscrean. I want my push notifications to be tied to the app. Unfortunatly for me that's not how it works. At least not always. So I will have to turn push off or not install apps that do that. Thats the first app that i ever had that in some way whether given the option or not has messed with my lock screen. Hopefully its the last.

so you ask for for help and your not taking it whats the point of this post then?

iPhoneCollector
Jan 2, 2011, 04:44 PM
I was first like oh that's funny but the I read the replies and was bait disappointed that they weren't real adds :D

Stetrain
Jan 2, 2011, 07:05 PM
1. Go to settings.
2. Go to the notifications area.
3. Turn off notifications for apps that you don't want to display pop up notifications.

"Push Notifications" in iOS have nothing to do with in-app updates. The point of them is to allow apps and services to give you notifications without the app running. It lets programs like IM apps work without actually having to run in the background all of the time and use up battery, or for CNN to give you news alerts.

They only appear if you give them permission, and you can turn them off if you don't want them.

It looks to me like you just misunderstood what you were agreeing to and how they work. This is not the fault of CNN, they are providing a useful feature for those that want it. They did not abuse your trust, they did not violate app store rules, and they didn't spam you with advertisements. They just provided a feature that you misunderstood.

MadeTheSwitch
Jan 4, 2011, 04:07 AM
Ok I understand. Well I don't like how that works. I don't want stuff messing with my lockscrean..

Perhaps you don't but especially for a NEWS APP that's precisely what most people would want. That's the whole point. So you can get breaking news pushed to you and find out what is going on in the world. That being said, you opted in when you installed the app, so that's on you, but even if you didn't understand what the little box was asking you, as others have suggested you can always turn the alerts off later.

This is a non-issue.