PDA

View Full Version : Real gamers slam ipad article

Stirolak123
Jan 1, 2011, 03:52 PM
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/real-gamers-review-the-ipad/a-20100405162019568052

Lol at the comments from the article:

"Is Metal Gear Solid Touch going to be ported to the iPad? That was....one of the only games that I bought when I had my iPhone. It was fun, but not something that I could see myself playing for a long period of time.

Pretty much all of the iGames are like that. It's like they assume everyone that buys it has a severe case of ADD. They'll plop down up to $12.99 for a game and then instantly get distracted by something else, so the games aren't even that long. Kind of like the product updates. If you get bored with your iPad, don't worry, there will be another one next year that you can buy too. 33% brighter and 10% thinner, but you'll still pay the same price."

"
Our society has grown so acustomed to the "mobile, portible, speedy etc." way of thinking that we've gotten kinda carried away...
It started with the invention of fast food, and has now evolved into this trash.
Oh yeah, Steve Jobs is the anti-Christ."

They do have a point you guys must agree that a lot of us ipad users and igamers in general do have add do to constat game releases, updates, games going free or on sale, and just the nature of the app store and devices.

rasputinj
Jan 2, 2011, 12:16 AM
I think the iPad is made for mainstream gaming, for that it is fine. I think for 80% of people the iPad is excellent. Real Gamers would need an overclocked custom built machine, with a $500 video card and would be using water cooling.

Stirolak123
Jan 2, 2011, 04:28 AM
I personally love gaming on the ipad and think its games are more creative than any other console or handheld game system. Just play soosiz hd for instance. Its such a creative platformer.

yetanotherdave
Jan 2, 2011, 04:57 AM
Strange, they're all comparing the iPad's gaming capabilities to xbox360 and PS3, or even full on desktop PC's, where they should be comparing it to the DS/PSP, or even, in its own right, as a device on which you play casual games. Flight control, angry birds, plants vs zombies, etc.
They do know, that it's not primarily a gaming device, right? Because that's how they are assessing it.
I wonder if any of them have changed their minds since seeing Infinity Blade?

Stirolak123
Jan 2, 2011, 07:12 AM
"Comparing it to a device which you can platcasual games"

so they should be comparing it to the wii than?

ctt1wbw
Jan 2, 2011, 07:50 AM
They shouldn't be comparing the iPad to any gaming machine. The iPad isn't a "gaming" machine.

sinsin07
Jan 2, 2011, 11:09 AM
I personally love gaming on the ipad and think its games are more creative than any other console or handheld game system. Just play soosiz hd for instance. Its such a creative platformer.

So you are saying Sooziz is a better platformer than:
Super Mario, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Metroid etc.

More creative than Kinect

Better than GTA, MGS4, SOCOM, etc.

What consoles do you own and what games do you have?

Stirolak123
Jan 2, 2011, 06:58 PM
So you are saying Sooziz is a better platformer than:
Super Mario, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Metroid etc.

More creative than Kinect

Better than GTA, MGS4, SOCOM, etc.

What consoles do you own and what games do you have?

I have mario galaxy 2 and honestly i play soosiz more. The fact galacy isnt in hd or the wii inngeneral hurts my eyes a bit and also the controls are crappy after being used to the amazing gamecube mario sunshine as well as 64. They took away so many moves and abilities and you constantly have to multitask getting stars while platforming. But a more fair comparison would be comparing soosiz to 2d mario games like for ds and wii that havent evolved past the super nintendo. I think even pandenonium is more evolutionqry and modern than them. I did enjoy the wii one though but wuit half way through due to how repetitive it was. And i rewlly like the ipad gta and think its the best handheld one yet, along with gangstar miami the ipad has a pretty good selection of such games when compad to other handhelds. Rockstar should just make a new one. I actually think and yet it moves is the best and morpst creative wii game but got it on steam because it never goes down in price on wiiware and i got it for less with an indy pack, but its prolly coming to ipad anyway.

txa1265
Jan 3, 2011, 08:54 AM
They shouldn't be comparing the iPad to any gaming machine. The iPad isn't a "gaming" machine.

Then neither is a Mac or PC ... ;)

Anyway, that is an ancient article, when every other site had either a 'iPad r god' or '100 reasons iPad sux' article ...

87vert
Jan 3, 2011, 01:33 PM
what exactly is a "real gamer?"

nateo200
Jan 3, 2011, 01:50 PM

Someone who doesn't view an iPhone, iPad, or iPod as a gaming device. I'm not a "real gamer" though to say the least. Anyone who even thinks of hardcore gaming on anything other than a PC or a gaming console like an Xbox360 or PS3 will quickly reverting to one if they try it on any of the "i" devices. They aren't "real" games, its like playing a demo for a real game on a smaller screen all day and pretending that you know all there is all about the game. You need physical controls for any "real gaming" and thats just how its going to be.

mouthster
Jan 3, 2011, 02:50 PM
Someone who doesn't view an iPhone, iPad, or iPod as a gaming device. I'm not a "real gamer" though to say the least. Anyone who even thinks of hardcore gaming on anything other than a PC or a gaming console like an Xbox360 or PS3 will quickly reverting to one if they try it on any of the "i" devices. They aren't "real" games, its like playing a demo for a real game on a smaller screen all day and pretending that you know all there is all about the game. You need physical controls for any "real gaming" and thats just how its going to be.

I don't know who a "real gamer" is, but I have my suspicions that it's a BS label. I've been playing games since the Atari 2600. Since then I've gone through the Commodore 64, NES, Sega Master System, SNES, Sega Genesis, Amiga, N64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 1, 2, 3 and various custom built PC's for gaming. I even had a Sega Game Gear for portability, much later I got a Nintendo DS.

I've played 'em all for hours on ends. Sports games, FPS, bullet-hell shooters, racing games, platformers, RPG's. I imported Ikaruga, REZ and Shenmue 2 for my Dreamcast back in the day, my only regret is never having played Radiant Silvergun on a real Sega Saturn (emulation isn't the same).

Am I a real gamer? If real gamers are the bros screaming profanity into their headsets playing Halo, or double-fisting Cheetos while they level up their "female" character in WoW, then I guess not.

What I do know is the games on the iOS devices feel like real games to me. I've played some games with amazing production values and creativity. Games with unique control schemes that provide a really fresh take on old ideas. It didn't take me long to get past the whole "no physical buttons" issue and just start having fun.

Maybe we should ask Epic or iD, who are throwing a lot of weight behind the platform, who they think real gamers are?

beige matchbox
Jan 3, 2011, 02:54 PM
The whole "Real Gamer" thing is just a little silly.

I've played many hours on my PSP, DS, in fact handhelds back to the original GameBoy. I've had most of the consoles since the Sega Master System, and bought some older ones along the way such as the Atari 2600, The first game I played online was Doom, I have 100s of hours in Forza3 on the 360, I used to keep a dedicated gaming PC until I got my Mac Pro, I've been a member of various clans over the last 15 years.

I consider the iPad/iPhone devices as much a gaming device as any PC, console or Mac.

Besides can you imagine the thumb pain trying to play flight control on a PSP :o

neoelectronaut
Jan 3, 2011, 02:57 PM
The thing about all of this is that some games are tailored to the large touch display that the iPad has and some games just require buttons.

A platformer in the vein of the mario series or sonic series is best played with physical buttons since you need to time reactions properly.

But games like the tap tap series and, say, Angry Birds, is more catered to a touch screen.

I wouldn't want to play cut the rope on the PSP and I wouldn't want to play a Sonic game using touch buttons, so each have their own place in this world.

ZilogZ80
Jan 3, 2011, 03:51 PM
someone trying to justify the thousands of hours of their life that they have wasted? :D

my only regret is never having played Radiant Silvergun on a real Sega Saturn (emulation isn't the same).
I strongly recommend you pick up a used Saturn (v cheap) and a mod-chip (cheap while they are still available) as you are quite correct - the real thing is way better. Get Panzer Dragoon & Nights too (you will need the 3d controller for Nights though).

Stirolak123
Jan 3, 2011, 05:30 PM
I cant believe they are charging this much for a wii 2d game that is essentially a perfect cell in disguise and would go for seven bucks max on the app store:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/112/1126687c.html

Heck even on the wii as a wiiware they woulent get anyone to buy it for more than 15 I doubt. Woule any of u actually spend 40 bucks on this game had it gone to the app store?

Stirolak123
Jan 3, 2011, 05:34 PM

They also think the 3ds is the best device ever and is all about "hardcore" n64 port and mario gaming. Just read the hyper sensitive touch arcade threadthat got mr banned on their site for disagreeing about it being worth much or better:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=57977

Or read all the pocket gamer comparisons or kotaku articles mentioning any idevices comment sections.

stuartmeyers
Jan 3, 2011, 10:50 PM
I think it's as simple as you get what you pay for. I have spent about $120+ on my 50+ ipad games which would buy me only 2-3 good xbox games.

But for the total $200 I have spent on ipad apps I can play many games, have many utilities, get real time info, use the net, email and communicate all without moving out of my lounge.

It's apples and oranges. If you need a car that does everything, buy a Toyota... If you need a car only for speed and quality, get a Ferrari.

I am happy with the versatility of my ipad (+ iPhone, atv2, iPod and integrated with tv, DVD, hifi, notebook) I won't need a console anymore....

Oh, I can take my ipad with me everywhere. I don't see many people carrying their xbox around.

Summary: if you need both, just buy them :)

Stirolak123
Jan 4, 2011, 02:42 PM
I get why people like console or pc gaming over the ipad, even the wii, i just ont understand why anyone would choose the outdated and overpriced psp or ds pver it with their crappy little screens and overpriced games that are jut ripoffs from their main consoles. I mean at least our games are unique and innovative but theirs are cheaply made and controlled ps2 games or n64 games.

Stirolak123
Jan 4, 2011, 02:44 PM
Also the ipad is getting a new control accessory called fling, look it up and the first gen psp had a horrible nub and dpad.

Stirolak123
Jan 5, 2011, 03:42 AM
I dont get why more devs and apple itself cant look at the ipad as something more hardcore than the other idevcie platforms for games with its better battery and screen. Quit porting those doodle games or. Ake games for multi idevices in mind. Read this:
http://nodpad.com/2010/12/29/the-ipad-is-made-for-more-hardcore-games/

Also, apple shouldnt hsve kept updating all the other idevices to have the same features as the ipad like folders, etc. Shy dont they try distinguishing it? Heck imo if they wanted to market it as a tablet from the get go they should have included some form of a combo of the iOS and Mac OS kind of like the macbook air or at least have a dual boot option. But at least make the apps-software distinct.

txa1265
Jan 5, 2011, 08:00 AM
I get why people like console or pc gaming over the ipad, even the wii, i just ont understand why anyone would choose the outdated and overpriced psp or ds pver it with their crappy little screens and overpriced games that are jut ripoffs from their main consoles. I mean at least our games are unique and innovative but theirs are cheaply made and controlled ps2 games or n64 games.

It is exactly THAT sort of demonstrably wrong generalization that was contained in the original article. For every 10 "cheaply made and controlled ps2 games or n64 games" for the DS & PSP, there are 100 (maybe 1000) games for iOS that are ports FROM the DS / PSP / PC ... or in the case of EVERYTHING from GameLoft, derivative clones ...

Each platform has good and bad aspects ... but the bottom line for me is that there is no denying that iOS has utterly changed the entire gaming landscape in 2.5 years.