Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheKnowledgeGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
To make the long story short about my iPod in Recovery Mode problem thread, is it normal for my computer to backup and Sync over 13gb of data in like..5-15 seconds? I have a new, crazy fast computer so I'm not sure if it really Synced. I don't wanna restore and notice that no data was really saved or I might go crazy...

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
To make the long story short about my iPod in Recovery Mode problem thread, is it normal for my computer to backup and Sync over 13gb of data in like..5-15 seconds? I have a new, crazy fast computer so I'm not sure if it really Synced. I don't wanna restore and notice that no data was really saved or I might go crazy...

It probably was syncing and was aborted. However, if I'm not mistaken, the more your sync your device, the shorter it will take to complete.

I know my phone syncs pretty quickly if I plug it into my computer every day or so.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home

If you mean it backed up very fast, then that's pretty normal. The backup won't actually contain everything on your device, it only contains the device's settings and the settings you have selected for when you sync it with iTunes. Even if you restore and then set it back up using your backup, it won't actually have all your music, videos, photos, apps, etc back on it - they will still need to be in iTunes to sync.
As for actually syncing 13GB of data in that short a time - absolutely impossible. No matter how fast the actual computer may be, only a certain amount of data can be transferred over USB at any given second. If you mean you already have all your content on your computer and you're trying to sync it to the iPod, the above user would probably be correct - it seems more like a botched sync than anything else. I'd say it should have taken 10 to 15 minutes for your iPod to sync that much data - it takes about 25 minutes to sync 30GB of data to mine.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
All the backup does is backup stuff like contacts, settings, etc. It does not back up apps or music or anything as those are already on your computer. It does backup the list of apps and playlists you had on there so it knows which apps to put back on in the event of a restore

Sounds normal to me

Last edited:

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I mean Sync as in iPod data, apps, and settings --> computer.

Then as I said in the first half of my post and as dukebound85 said, that is perfectly normal. The backup doesn't actually contain your data, it only contains the settings relevant to your data (for example, it doesn't have any of your music in it, it just tells it what music was synced to it so you don't have to screw around with settings after a restore).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.