PDA

View Full Version : The Zaggmate rocks!!!

Godzirra!
Jan 2, 2011, 01:59 AM
Just picked up the zaggmate today, and it is the best ipad accessory i have bought. It makes typing a breeze, and finally has made the iPad a replacement for my laptop. The only thing i find weird, which may be a shipping issue, is that the case is bent into a slight v at the center of the dock connector. However, my iPad fits fine into it, and it looks awesome. I got the apple keyboard dock for christmas, and ended up returning it for this before i opened it. I love the versatility of this thing.
Pros:
- makes typing much easier, of course a given
- matches the incredible design of the ipad
- the ipad-specific hotkeys are awesome (home, spotlight, screen on/off, slideshow, etc..)
- ipad fits great
- allows to type in landscape or horizontal orientation
- Love the return of the tab key when i am typing in pages

Cons:
- typing still feels a little cramped, gonna take some getting used to
-the keys are recessed under a lip, which is there to hold the ipad.
- the flap that you pull out to prop the ipad up is plastic, and it may wear out from excessive usage.
- the ipad 2 comes out very soon, and is supposed to be smaller. therefore, the potential of a compatibility problem exists.
- autocorrect doesn't work the same as on the on screen keyboard ( no auto-capitalization, some words don't change when you spell them wrong, etc.) this is probably a fixable software issue though.

Overall, it is an awesome purchase. I couldn't be happier with the functionality. I just wish the keyboard could have been a little bigger, but that would create a design problem. I am just weary of iPad 2 compatibility. But since that will probably come out in april, which is at the end of the semester, the wait wasn't worth it to me. This is going to be extremely valuable to take notes with. I highly recommend it.

Dorkington
Jan 3, 2011, 08:51 AM
I have pretty much the same opinions all the way around. :)

Though, I didn't get any unfortunate creases/bending like you got. Maybe contact ZAGG and see if they can set up a replacement?

md63
Jan 5, 2011, 08:51 AM
I also have the zaggmate and generally agree with your comments. I love the iPad for a media consumption device, however, I have never been able to get used to typing on the screen with any accuracy or speed. The zaggmate solves this problem. I agree with your concerns about the iPad 2 size. I hope Apple doesn't change the size of the iPad and force everyone to buy new cases and accessories.

Since I love the iPad/Zaggmate combo so much I started thinking about a MBA 11". Obviously the MBA is a real computer, however, it cant do some things that the iPad can such as eliminating my WSJ print delivery, ebook reader, or using in the back seat of the car for my kids as a Video player.

MrWillie
Jan 5, 2011, 10:38 AM
- the ipad 2 comes out very soon, and is supposed to be smaller. therefore, the potential of a compatibility problem exists.

But you have an iPad 1 correct ???

What potential compatablity problem are you talking about ? It will still work with your iPad when iPad ver2 comes out.

md63
Jan 5, 2011, 09:34 PM
But you have an iPad 1 correct ???

What potential compatablity problem are you talking about ? It will still work with your iPad when iPad ver2 comes out.

Obviously he is talking about using the zaggmate as a case with the iPad 2 which is what I was referencing also. It would be nice if Apple didn't make unnecessary physical changes so iPad 1 owners could use their existing cases etc. I think very few would complain if Apple just updated the internals for the iPad 2. Actually it might be better since some iPad 1 owners would probably be more likely to ungrade if they don't need to upgrade all their accessories. If the version 2 is changed significantly an upgrade would require me to change the zaggmate, Yoobao magic, and a proclip headrest mount. That is about $250 worth of accessories. I would be much more likely to wait for version 3.

MikePA
Jan 7, 2011, 08:55 AM
I have a ZAGG/mate and the Kensington and the perfect solution would be the ZAGG/mate keyboard in the Kensington or Sena folio cases. I also have the Sena case with keyboard on its way.

I am by no means a touch typist and thought not having a Shift key on the right side of the keyboard would not be a big deal. Being right handed, it has turned out to be a big deal and I'm guessing I will be sending the Sena case back, too, since the Sena keyboard is similar to the Kensington in terms of layout.

The ZAGG/mate keyboard not only has the keys in the standard places, it also feels better.

tek210
Jan 8, 2011, 07:43 AM
I am seriously thinking about taking the iPad leap when version 2 comes out, hopefully in the next couple months, and I really like this design. I think this coupled with a sleeve to hold the whole package will be the best option for me. If there are any design changes for 2, I hope it does not delay me getting this setup. My hunch is the changes that may happen should still be compatible with this design. I think as long as the outer edge has the same specs, it should be fine.

Dorkington
Jan 10, 2011, 08:28 AM
Obviously he is talking about using the zaggmate as a case with the iPad 2 which is what I was referencing also. It would be nice if Apple didn't make unnecessary physical changes so iPad 1 owners could use their existing cases etc. I think very few would complain if Apple just updated the internals for the iPad 2. Actually it might be better since some iPad 1 owners would probably be more likely to ungrade if they don't need to upgrade all their accessories. If the version 2 is changed significantly an upgrade would require me to change the zaggmate, Yoobao magic, and a proclip headrest mount. That is about $250 worth of accessories. I would be much more likely to wait for version 3.

Unfortunately most will have to upgrade, regardless.

iPad 2 is due to have dual cameras, and most iPad 1 cases would cover those up (outside the Zaggmate, obviously).

SFStateStudent
Feb 2, 2011, 10:00 PM
Picked-up my Zaggmate online after seeing the demo at Macworld SF. Pretty sweet deal, but was really surprised that they didn't have a Expo Sale Price. Heck, I would have spent the same money to get my hands on it last week. :cool:

j3yq
Feb 2, 2011, 10:11 PM
I've seen these at target been wanting to pick on up.

Steven Jobson
Feb 3, 2011, 07:37 PM
Not correcting your typing mistakes when a keyboard is paired is not a software issue, it's supposed to be like that. Don't blame your ****** typing on the software.

GotiPad
Feb 4, 2011, 11:03 PM
I picked one from here (http://www.itrendystuff.com/zaggmate_wkey.html). This is a cool product sometime I feel this looks like my Mac Pro