PDA

View Full Version : going back to Tiger

zoran
Jan 2, 2011, 12:42 PM
1. Im thinking to go back from Leopard to Tiger on my PowerBookG4 1.67GHZ, yes i think it might be faster, and to be honest why shouldnt it be. I mean PowerPc cpus should be optimised for Tiger and not Leopard, am i not right?

2. Whats the procedure to go back from Leopard to Tiger, i have the Tiger dvd, what should i do to make the "go back" transition?

leekohler
Jan 2, 2011, 02:54 PM
1. Im thinking to go back from Leopard to Tiger on my PowerBookG4 1.67GHZ, yes i think it might be faster, and to be honest why shouldnt it be. I mean PowerPc cpus should be optimised for Tiger and not Leopard, am i not right?

2. Whats the procedure to go back from Leopard to Tiger, i have the Tiger dvd, what should i do to make the "go back" transition?

Did you do a clean install of Leopard? By that I mean, did you erase your hard drive and install Leopard? If you didn't do it that way, it may cause Leopard to run slowly.

If you want to go back to Tiger, I would erase the hard drive and then install.

koobcamuk
Jan 2, 2011, 03:24 PM
I mean PowerPc cpus should be optimised for Tiger and not Leopard, am i not right?

I was under the impression that the OS was designed to work with the CPU rather than the CPU designed for an OS.

zoran
Jan 2, 2011, 03:45 PM
Did you do a clean install of Leopard? By that I mean, did you erase your hard drive and install Leopard? If you didn't do it that way, it may cause Leopard to run slowly.
Intresting point but how certain are you about this, and how can i know?
I have no idea if it was erased and then installed, it was given to me this way, how can i know?

If you want to go back to Tiger, I would erase the hard drive and then install.
How would i do this?

Hrududu
Jan 2, 2011, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't do it. Honestly, Leopard is great on PowerPC. Software support for Tiger and security updates are pretty much done for. You're also stuck with old versions of iTunes and web browsers. The only systems I still run Tiger on are G3's and my TiBooks. I've even got Leopard on my 500MHz Cube.

zoran
Jan 2, 2011, 04:53 PM
Thanx for the info, and its not that i dont trust you but are there any speed ratings for those two OS on PowerPc cpus, maybe then ill sort this thing out

bbergie
Jan 2, 2011, 05:43 PM
I wouldn't do it. Honestly, Leopard is great on PowerPC. Software support for Tiger and security updates are pretty much done for. You're also stuck with old versions of iTunes and web browsers. The only systems I still run Tiger on are G3's and my TiBooks. I've even got Leopard on my 500MHz Cube.

How did you install Leopard on a 500MHz Cube?

California
Jan 2, 2011, 09:22 PM

I'm sure he took the hard drive out of the machine and did it through an external or some other such hack...

but to the OP

Leopard is fine on PPC machines.

The trick is maxed ram and maxed hard drive speeds PLUS disabling DASHBOARD.

Dashboard, even in Tiger, sucks up CPU.

Hrududu
Jan 2, 2011, 11:21 PM
Booted the Cube to target disk mode and installed it from my 12" Powerbook. Its not fast by any means, but 1.5GB of RAM, 7200rpm drive, and a Radeon 7500 instead of the old Rage 128 makes it doable.

zoran
Jan 3, 2011, 11:38 AM
I'm sure he took the hard drive out of the machine and did it through an external or some other such hack...

but to the OP

Leopard is fine on PPC machines.

The trick is maxed ram and maxed hard drive speeds PLUS disabling DASHBOARD.

Dashboard, even in Tiger, sucks up CPU.
California thanx for the contribution, but...
1. Are there any measurements in numbers certifying this "Dashboard suck up" that you say, cause i did disable it in a G5 1.8GHZ that runs Tiger and i noticed nothing different.
2. Where can i measure this memory differentation as you claim?

nick9191
Jan 3, 2011, 11:58 AM
Have you got a Leopard DVD? I'd advise backing up your data and fully wiping your hard drive then installing from fresh. As Lee said, the odds are whoever installed Leopard performed an upgrade rather than a fresh install. In fact even if they didn't, a fresh install should still make some difference. If that doesn't make a difference then just wipe and install Tiger. Also how much RAM does the machine have? I've always found Leopard faster than Tiger as long as you have a decent amount of memory.

Whats the procedure to go back from Leopard to Tiger, i have the Tiger dvd, what should i do to make the "go back" transition?
Boot off the disk (System Preferences - Start Up Disk, or hold down Alt at startup), find the option to erase the disk (erase and install is it?).

zoran
Jan 3, 2011, 05:48 PM
Have you got a Leopard DVD? I'd advise backing up your data and fully wiping your hard drive then installing from fresh. As Lee said, the odds are whoever installed Leopard performed an upgrade rather than a fresh install. In fact even if they didn't, a fresh install should still make some difference. If that doesn't make a difference then just wipe and install Tiger. Also how much RAM does the machine have? I've always found Leopard faster than Tiger as long as you have a decent amount of memory.

Boot off the disk (System Preferences - Start Up Disk, or hold down Alt at startup), find the option to erase the disk (erase and install is it?).
my memory at the moment is 1GB DDR SDRAM

so regarding the installation all is done by the "startup OSX dvd" both erasing and installing naturally! right?

chrismacguy
Jan 8, 2011, 05:46 AM
my memory at the moment is 1GB DDR SDRAM

so regarding the installation all is done by the "startup OSX dvd" both erasing and installing naturally! right?

Id definitely try to boost the RAM if you can - my 1.67 PowerBook G4 seemed sluggish in 10.5 with 512MB RAM (but still useable), but now it has 1.5GB, it screams, I definitely would put 10.5 on it, it runs as well as Tiger if you clean install, otherwise, as said above, it may run very very slowly.

tom vilsack
Jan 9, 2011, 01:27 AM
-i take it you only have tiger dvd not leopard?

-i would try this

-download carbon copy and make image of your present system (http://bombich.com/index.html)
-save image to external usb stick/harddrive ect (make sure drive is mac osx journaled...or image wont be seen by disk utility if you try and reimage)
-install osx tiger doing clean install (erase and option to write zero's to harddrive)
-then if you can live with some older versions of software and system runs good...you should be ok
-if you can't live without leopard,and dont have means to buy/get fresh copy...just reimage using tiger dvd and use disk utility to reimage the image you saved on usb/portable harddrive

simple............

--------------------------------------------------------------------

here are some tricks to make tiger run faster

-in dock use scale effects and no mag or animate...also turn wallpaper off and use colored
-turn off dashboard and turn off spotlight,if has bluetooth turn that also off

To turn Dashboard off: use terminal
defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES

You have to restart the Dock after making either change for it to take effect:
killall Dock

To turn Spotlight off: use terminal

cd /etc
sudo nano hostconfig
SPOTLIGHT=-NO-
ctrl-x
y
enter

Then to get rid of the existing index, run these two commands
sudo mdutil -i off /
sudo mdutil -E /

reboot computer

remove spotlight icon

1. As an administrator, navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices, and delete Search.bundle. If you think might want to re-enable it later, just move it somewhere else or rename it.
2. Open up the Activity Monitor and force quit SystemUIServer. When it reopens, your menu bar will be Spotlight free.

install camino browser and lastest version of flash
note in camino you can set to block flash and web adverts

note: with tiger 10.4.11 updates will not give you latest itunes so google for version 9.2.1 (5)

good luck

California
Jan 9, 2011, 02:58 PM
California thanx for the contribution, but...
1. Are there any measurements in numbers certifying this "Dashboard suck up" that you say, cause i did disable it in a G5 1.8GHZ that runs Tiger and i noticed nothing different.
2. Where can i measure this memory differentation as you claim?

"I" didn't "claim" anything about Dashboard, just passed on common knowledge about Dashboard sucking up CPU.

Use your Activity monitor to see what Dashboard does.

If you are running that G5 1.8ghz (single) with anything less than maximum ram (if you have a G5 iMac, then it's two gigs of ram, if you have a G5 1.8ghz Powermac then it is eight gigs of ram) you will disappointed. I had the 1.8ghz G5 Powermac single and shoot, that was a SLOW machine.

Activity Monitor tells you how much CPU is being eaten up and by what.