Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
In general what is the best extension to rip your movies to in order to stream them well? I dont have an apple tv anymore but stream everything from my mac pro to my ps3 and wanted to ask because an mvk, and mp4 need to be encoded pretty heavily in order to play well, and wanted to ask if maybe an avi or even a divx would work better?

thanks

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
In general what is the best extension to rip your movies to in order to stream them well? I dont have an apple tv anymore but stream everything from my mac pro to my ps3 and wanted to ask because an mvk, and mp4 need to be encoded pretty heavily in order to play well, and wanted to ask if maybe an avi or even a divx would work better?

thanks

I've found that just about every format I've tossed at my PS3 plays - I use IConnect - but their are lot's to chose from http://www.rbgrn.net/content/21-how-to-choose-dlna-media-server-windows-mac-os-x-or-linux

given that, the decision is more a size/quality argument. I use Handbreak and encode for the ATV2, ending up with an mp4 file that plays in just about all my devices. I have a lot of avi, mkv and what not - i probably won't re-encode for the ATV, they all (mostly) play in the ps3

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
I've found that just about every format I've tossed at my PS3 plays - I use IConnect - but their are lot's to chose from http://www.rbgrn.net/content/21-how-to-choose-dlna-media-server-windows-mac-os-x-or-linux

given that, the decision is more a size/quality argument. I use Handbreak and encode for the ATV2, ending up with an mp4 file that plays in just about all my devices. I have a lot of avi, mkv and what not - i probably won't re-encode for the ATV, they all (mostly) play in the ps3

i have both ps3ms and medialink, and for what ever reason MEDIALINK ALWAYS HAS AN AUDIO SYNC ISSUE!!! i am not sure how to even begin to correct this? maybe a setting needs to be adjusted within hb?

btw what is "IConnect"?

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.