PDA

View Full Version : Broken latch on 12" PB - Help!

ChePibe
Jan 27, 2005, 09:04 AM
I'm a new member here looking for an answer to this important question :)

I have a 12" Powerbook G4 867 that I'm going to be selling shortly so I can move up in the Mac world. Other than the usual dents and scratches a notebook in the hands of a college student acquires, my PowerBook has only one problem - the small latch that hold the laptop closed has fallen off.

It just seemed to fall out one morning when I opened it up. I can't see any post inside the little hole at the top of my screen where the latch would have fit, so I'm not quite sure how the latch fell out or if there's something else missing.

I still have the latch, but no clue how to fit it back in the case without taking the computer apart. I'm in France at the moment, and I don't want to imagine how much it would cost to have this thing fixed here. Is there any way I can just fix this myself quickly and cheaply? Do I just need to crack open the case, find a substitute piece of metal for a post, and just slide the latch back in? Help!

cfd
Jan 27, 2005, 11:22 AM
I know it's not what you want to hear, but take $100 off the selling price and include a package of rubber bands.
Fixing your problem involves removing or replacing the display.