Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

necrox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Hi,
I have imac g5. 17' 1.8ghz.
After a while macintosh started freezing. I mean, I'm surfing a web and app freezes (Mouse pointer starting to stip). And allthout all apps works, but when I trie to watch movie on full screen, or play game or screensaver starts, screen like shutsdown, I mean computer is working (there is a sound, i dont know how to say in english correctly) but screen doesnot. Helps only force restart.
And when I try to copy large file from imac to usb stick, copy process is verry slow. And at the end (When tile left says: 2 minutes remaining) copying like freezes. I mean its shows that copy process is working, but data doesnot transfering.

And my computer at the time is slower and slower.
By the way, all those problems is even after fresh install mac os x 10.5

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
There is a known problem with the iMac G5 and I believe also the eMacs of an earlier era.

The Chinese manufacturer of the logic boards somehow crimped on the low quality sockets and caps on the boards. They explode or overheat and the whole board goes dead. I'll bet that's what's happening to yours.

There are fixes available, google around.

Also, on the off chance it is a dying hard drive, replace that as well.

I want to say I NEVER buy a used Mac without changing out the hard drive.

Nor do I allow my new macs to have hard drives that are over two years old.

Hard drives die. They have moving parts.

iMac G5's logic boards should not die... they just had a rash of bad capacitors and you need to probably get yours fixed.

necrox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
A new problem, when I left imac to run and went to rest in other room, I heard that somethink making loud sound. Then went to the room where imac is and saw that imac is sleeping (It should to go to sleep mode after a while). But I cant wake up it. And fans was verry loud.

By this site: http://jimwarholic.com/2008/07/how-to-repair-apple-imac-g5.php
my imac has no problems with caps. I mean by the serial no. And there is no issues like Scrambled or distorted video, no video, no pover.
By the way, when imac freezes hdd does not hard drive sound, after a while there become hard drive sound and imac runs again. Some time hard drive makes sound like there was somethink broken, I mean: grrrrrrgerrrrrrrr, tik tik tik and others. (Dont know how to say about sound in english :))

But can hard drive be problem with a video?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I've had a few hard drives make that tik, tik, tik, sound if I read you correctly. They usually didn't last long after they started making that noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.