Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

copydeskcat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Hi folks,

I don't know if anyone has posted this before, but I got an AppleTV2 for my birthday and I've been successfully using Azureus Vuze to convert my AVI files to use on the unit.

It's quite simple - download Vuze, set it up and then drag/drop your avi files from Explorer (Windows) to the iTunes icon in Vuze. It pops up with an options window to see if you want to convert it for iPod/iPhone/AppleTv/AppleTV2 etc. - you just pick the one you want, and off it goes. It even transfers it into the iTunes folder where your video files are for you.

Simples.

Best,

CDC

jcschlic

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
I used to do this same thing. I've stopped using Vuze though for other reasons.

As I recall, Vuze will only encode files into stereo audio...not sure if that's still the case.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I used to do this same thing. I've stopped using Vuze though for other reasons.

As I recall, Vuze will only encode files into stereo audio...not sure if that's still the case.

What are you using now, if anything?

I got an ATV2 over the weekend and so far I've tried using iSquint and HandBrake. The .avi's I were using weren't the best quality ever, so it was hard to tell for sure which the best way was.

The conversions were both watchable, though HandBrake was faster doing the actual conversion.

jcschlic

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
What are you using now, if anything?

I got an ATV2 over the weekend and so far I've tried using iSquint and HandBrake. The .avi's I were using weren't the best quality ever, so it was hard to tell for sure which the best way was.

The conversions were both watchable, though HandBrake was faster doing the actual conversion.

If I rip and encode a DVD, I use Handbrake. There are many threads about Handbrake in this forum. Best advice: the universal preset.

If you are downloading media from Vuze and need to convert, it would seem to me that using the encoder in Vuze is the way to go for you.

However, if you have a bunch of existing media on your computer that you need to make "Apple TV compatible", I remember that Vuze let's you literally drag and drop the files into the "Apple TV" encode icon and it'll encode all those as a queue. Handbrake lets you do this same thing (queue) but you have to load each one at a time into the interface.

ghostrider501

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2010
If I rip and encode a DVD, I use Handbrake. There are many threads about Handbrake in this forum. Best advice: the universal preset.

If you are downloading media from Vuze and need to convert, it would seem to me that using the encoder in Vuze is the way to go for you.

However, if you have a bunch of existing media on your computer that you need to make "Apple TV compatible", I remember that Vuze let's you literally drag and drop the files into the "Apple TV" encode icon and it'll encode all those as a queue. Handbrake lets you do this same thing (queue) but you have to load each one at a time into the interface.

Iv also being using Vuse to convert to Apple Tv,
Once the newly converted movie is in my itunes library, can it then be deleted from Vuse? without the worry of it getting deleted from itunes?

Thanks..

Oh tryed using VideoMonkey once to convert a movie to Apple Tv, It converted it from 750mb to 4gb for some reason,

Last edited:

copydeskcat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Iv also being using Vuse to convert to Apple Tv,
Once the newly converted movie is in my itunes library, can it then be deleted from Vuse? without the worry of it getting deleted from itunes?

Thanks..

Oh tryed using VideoMonkey once to convert a movie to Apple Tv, It converted it from 750mb to 4gb for some reason,

Yeah - as long as it shows up in iTunes, it's safe to delete it from Vuze.

No idea about VideoMonkey - it's possibly a settings issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.