Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lorneboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Hi all, I have been doing some research on the MacBook Air's Flash Storage and according to the repair and servicing manual for the MacBook Air (see attached files) there is an actual Memory Sick that is in the MacBook Air and is not soldered to the Main Logic Board. This part of the service manual tells you how to remove the memory stick and replace it. Everyone clams it is "non-user replaceable" but this guide suggests that is it possible, if one was able to purchase one of the Memory Sicks. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• MacBook Air SDD Sick 1.jpg
    MacBook Air SDD Sick 1.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 188
  • MacBook Air SDD Sick 2.jpg
    MacBook Air SDD Sick 2.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 150

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

yes everyone knew it was replaceable. It is "non-user replaceable" because Apple doesnt want YOU to replace it even though THEY can. In other words if they discover you replaced it then your warranty is probobly voided. Also since there are no user replaceable parts on the air if they figure out you got into the bottom of it they would probobly void your warranty also

lorneboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
yes everyone knew it was replaceable. It is "non-user replaceable" because Apple doesnt want YOU to replace it even though THEY can. In other words if they discover you replaced it then your warranty is probobly voided. Also since there are no user replaceable parts on the air if they figure out you got into the bottom of it they would probobly void your warranty also
I know it would void the warranty and it is interesting that every place I went and read about it said that it was soldered directly on to the Logic Board. You can replace it, but you got to know what you are doing, also you need to be able to get a larger SDD and god knows were u would find something like that.

pmgmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
Don't confuse the system RAM with the SSD -- the RAM is soldered to the board (so you have to choose 2 GB or 4GB and live with it), but the SSD is removable.

lorneboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Don't confuse the system RAM with the SSD -- the RAM is soldered to the board (so you have to choose 2 GB or 4GB and live with it), but the SSD is removable.
I know the difference. I heard that the SDD was soldered to the Logic Board and was not upgradable or removable AT ALL. But it is not true! You can do it if you want to void the warranty and risk screwing up your Air. Im just curious where would one purchase a new SDD.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I know the difference. I heard that the SDD was soldered to the Logic Board and was not upgradable or removable AT ALL. But it is not true! You can do it if you want to void the warranty and risk screwing up your Air. Im just curious where would one purchase a new SDD.

We all knew this.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I think what was confirmed that was soldered onto the logic board was in fact the RAM and not the flash memory, which was never soldered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.