Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Hi,

I tried google to sync my contacts and I didnt like the results (didnt seem to keep the first name / last name fields). Would Mobile Me be a better solution ?

Thanks

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Hi,

I tried google to sync my contacts and I didnt like the results (didnt seem to keep the first name / last name fields). Would Mobile Me be a better solution ?

Thanks

Trying to sync them to an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch? Or between computers?

I was trying to use Google for syncing, but it follows Exchange stuff for mobile devices, and only supports a subset of field names. I have people's cell # listed under 'iPhone" if they have an iPhone. And Google won't sync that. They just don't sync at all, not even to an "other" field.

So I went back to MobileMe.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
i was syncing my mac to it. Wasn't too impressed with the results but will try again. Im thinking maybe ill pick up mobile me from amazon and give that a go.

i was getting double and triple entries via google but im putting that down to user error. My main problem is it not maintaining the fields properly.

87vert

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
i was syncing my mac to it. Wasn't too impressed with the results but will try again. Im thinking maybe ill pick up mobile me from amazon and give that a go.

use the free trial and see if it works for you, then you can buy it if you like it.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
I have a hard time giving up Gmail for MobileMe mail....BUT....

For contacts and calendar, go with MobileMe if you want a hassle free experience. If you find you need to have Google also in sync, there are multiple programs available to do just that.

All my devices sync through MobileMe...and 1 computer then pushes a copy of my contacts up to Gmail strictly for emailing purposes. I wanna say it's called Gsync but I'd have to check when I'm home.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Thanks for all the feedback.

use the free trial and see if it works for you, then you can buy it if you like it.

I dont want to use the trial as I'm wary about giving Apple my credit card details. If I did sign up, could I still purchase from Amazon before my trial expired and they wouldn't charge my card ?

Is there a way to remove my card details from their system after im done ?

Thanks

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Thanks for all the feedback.

I dont want to use the trial as I'm wary about giving Apple my credit card details. If I did sign up, could I still purchase from Amazon before my trial expired and they wouldn't charge my card ?

Is there a way to remove my card details from their system after im done ?

Thanks

Yes and Yes! There's a big "Remove Credit Card" button in Account settings, and you can apply a Mobile Me code before your trial expires and it will use that instead.

kRobbin

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
Boulder, CO

Mobile Me on Amazon?

I use Apple's Mobile Me and I'm very happy with it. I guess if all you plan to do in contact sync than Google sync might be ok but Mobile Me sync gives you lots more in a integrated package, plus you can use it to sync 3rd party apps. I'd go with Mobile Me! :D

alangrehan

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Contacts and Calender are amazing with mobileme... far better than google and microsoft exchange (in my opinion).

As for email stick with gmail as this is superior ro everything else and dropbox is far quicker than iDisk.

dancedreamfly

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2010
Definitely prefer MobileMe for contacts and calendar. As for mail, I set my MobileMe mail to forward to GMail mainly because MobileMe has no implementation of Labels yet, unlike GMail. Like some of the users on here, I also prefer Dropbox to iDisk.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
Contacts and Calender are amazing with mobileme... far better than google and microsoft exchange (in my opinion).

As for email stick with gmail as this is superior ro everything else and dropbox is far quicker than iDisk.

Totally agree! :)

Cancelled
May 21, 2009

Dude! Dropbox isn't just faster--it's better in every conceivable way than iDisk. 30 day backup redundancy, LAN Sync, and full AES encryption both in-transit and on the server. It's cheaper too.... :D

• Dropbox 50GB = $99/yr, 100GB = $199/yr
  • MobileMe 20GB = $99/yr -up to- 60GB = $199/yr

I contacted Dropbox support one time since I switched and I got a response within 45min. 45MIN! :eek:

I've contacted Apple's MobileMe support multiple times and 45 min is just how long it takes for them to go off-script and start working to fix your issue. God help you if they need to escalate the issue--then it's a 48+ hour wait for a response. Apple does computers well but are amateurs when it comes to cloud.

Yahoo, Gmail, or Hotmail are all superior to MobileMe mail. Apple can make it better but they sit on their hands when it comes to rolling out new features and making it at least on par with FREE services. Reliability has also been an issue as well as customer service.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
MobileMe + Dropbox is the best combination. I have used Google Sync for years and it does work great but only if you are accessing via the web interface. When you try to use it within the iOS applications and Mac applications (Mail, Address Book, iCal) things start to get hairy. Like you said with the name fields, they don't transfer well and sometimes can cause conflicting data or duplicates. MobileMe is made to work with Apple ecosystem, no surprise it works much more flawlessly.

Dropbox is a better substitute for MobilMe's iDisk. Much faster and 2 GB is free so I just use it for documents and programming projects. I have plenty of free space. I have 3.5 GB though (Dropquest just last week gave 1 GB total for free) and many other things like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.