Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisandersen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Just bought this mini off of ebay and it turns on fine, but the mail app is missing. So, I have tried everything I can think of to update the OS. This is what I have to work with;
Power PC G4, 1.25 Ghz
10.4 Pre-Release (8A396)
Have tried my 10.5 and 10.6 and it won't take them.
DL'd 10.4.11 and get "There was man error while evaluating javascript for this package.
10.4.2 and 10.4.1 get "This volume does not meet the requirements for this update"
I only want a basic machine for my mother-in-law to do email and surf the web. Any help is appreciated.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
If its a pre-release or developer version, I don't think you're going to be able to update the OS. You're going to need an install of a true version of 10.4 in order to run the updates to get it up to 10.4.11

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You could use a retail copy of Leopard (not the gray disc) and install Leopard on it instead.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
How would I get a copy of this?

Your best bet is Craigslist or eBay, a Mac shop will be pricey.

I see Tiger and even Leopard discs on Craigslist in my area (Chicago for $10-15 bucks pretty regularly). Just make sure that whatever one you choose, you get the full retail install disc, not the update disc.

Your other option is to install a 3rd party Mail alternative. There are many, and most are free. Just do a Google search or ask for recommendations here.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Your other option is to install a 3rd party Mail alternative. There are many, and most are free. Just do a Google search or ask for recommendations here.

I wouldn't do that, the OP will want the security fixes in the updated OS (whether it is Tiger or Leopard).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.