PDA

View Full Version : Returning a Macbook Air for the 4 GB RAM version

MacAir47
Jan 3, 2011, 10:00 PM
I purchased my Macbook Air 1.86 Gig, 2 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD Memory on December 18, 2010 using my educational discount on the Apple Store website. I was debating at the time to get the extra 2 GB RAM or not, but in the end I went with the 2 GB RAM version because I could not afford the 4 GB version.

I have been reading the forums to see if 2 GB of RAM would be enough for the future, especially with the forthcoming OS X Lion in the summer of 2011. I mainly use it for schoolwork such as word processing, spreadsheets as well as using it for music and for the internet.

I called Apple about this issue, but I am not sure if I want to return it and lose 10% of the purchase price that I paid for. That's a lot of money to lose in one shot.

I went to my local Apple Store in Seattle, but they will not take returns from the Apple online store since their inventory numbers are not the same. Even though they carry the computer I want with the extra RAM installed.

Does anyone think that it would be worth it to do this return or just keep what I have in the first place? I have until January 10th to make this decision. I hope someone can help me.

Sincerely,
David

size100
Jan 3, 2011, 10:10 PM
Why do people expect this OS update to use significantly more ram?

Check how much RAM you are using right now and that should factor into your decision. It would be the best thing to base your decicsion on.

KPOM
Jan 3, 2011, 10:38 PM
IMO, 2GB is sufficient for most tasks in OS X. The main reason I went with 4GB was that I use Windows 7 in virtualization, and want the extra RAM. Plus, I intend to skip the Rev E and wait for the Ivy Bridge versions. While I don't expect Lion to need much more than Snow Leopard, that may not be the case with 10.8, or Windows 8 for that matter.

crouchingtiger
Jan 3, 2011, 11:04 PM
I I mainly use it for schoolwork such as word processing, spreadsheets as well as using it for music and for the internet.

Keep the computer, you'll be fine!

A Macbook Pro
Jan 3, 2011, 11:37 PM
You are using a forum to justify an irrational decision. Don't.

~Me.

PeterSmith
Jan 4, 2011, 03:45 AM
I wondered the same, having bought a 2gb 13" base level machine from an Apple Store that didn't stock the 4gb upgrade, and then wondering if I should take it back and order the 4gb version.

I've installed memory menu, and been keeping watch. After a week's use, I've not had less that 400MB memory free with standard academic laptop use (wordprocessing, browsing, mail, reading papers/books, evernote, dropbox, Things, iCal etc. etc. open together). If I restart Safari from time to time that frees up more memory.

So 2gb isn't at all a problem for this kind of usage now, and unlikely to be over a 3year life span.

So just enjoy what you have and don't worry!

newdeal
Jan 4, 2011, 06:04 AM
you didn't have the extra $100 three weeks ago but now you are willing to pay a 10% restocking fee PLUS the extra $100 to get the new computer? 2gb will be just fine, Lion won't use any more ram than snow leopard does most likely. I would save your money and be happy with your purchase. If you don't run parallels you really won't need 4gb. If you find you find you are running low on ram just close something

Buck987
Jan 4, 2011, 06:26 AM
your computer is fine...stick with it....

Alvesang
Jan 4, 2011, 06:36 AM
Keeper.

MacAir47
Jan 4, 2011, 10:44 AM
I want to thank everyone for their input on my situation. I think I will keep the notebook that I bought since it will be used as a travel computer for schoolwork and other things. I do not plan to run Windows on it.

Also, I do not want to waste the $124.90 on the return as well as pay for shipping. I would have to wait for the refund while the old computer is in transit until it arrives to Apple, which would be another five days or more. Then, purchase another Macbook Air with 4 GB and pay another hundred dollars for the new model. In the end, I would have paid over $225 plus shipping. I does not seem it's worth that kind of hassel.

I was just concerned that perhaps in the future I will need more memory in case I decided to run other kinds programs or apps.

I was thinking that perhaps I could purchase the one of the new Macbook Pros that will be announced later this month. I think it would be best to wait on that purchase until the reviews come in to make sure the new models have more capabilities as well as upgradability. That way I can add more memory if I need to. I am not sure if the new Macbook Pros will even use a regular laptop hard drives since Apple might use SSD as they have for the Airs.

I think I will use my local Apple Store next time since it's easier, and if I have any problems with my computer they can help me with it. I talked to one of the employees about the return fee, and they usually waive it while it's still in the 14 day time period. I regret using the online Apple Store since it's hard to convince them to waive the return fee.

Again, thanks for the replies. I think my problem is solved.:)

Sincerely,
David

gwsat
Jan 4, 2011, 10:59 AM
IMO, 2GB is sufficient for most tasks in OS X. The main reason I went with 4GB was that I use Windows 7 in virtualization, and want the extra RAM. Plus, I intend to skip the Rev E and wait for the Ivy Bridge versions. While I don't expect Lion to need much more than Snow Leopard, that may not be the case with 10.8, or Windows 8 for that matter.
That's my analysis, too. Unless you already know that you will need 4GB of RAM to run your apps, the chances are you don't. I agree with your recommendation, and others, that the OP should stick with his current MBA.

jenzjen
Jan 4, 2011, 12:03 PM
If I were you, and you really feel like you want the 4GB now, I would call Apple again. I've had it work for me *only* when I'm buying something more expensive, so just tell them that you are using all 2GB and now realize you need 4GB so can they place another order and let you return the old one.

As long as you are ok with 2 charges on your cc, all you will be out in the end is the return shipping cost. Once, the return agent even emailed me a return label, but that was rare.

Gen
Jan 4, 2011, 12:07 PM
Stick with the 2GB
If you couldn't afford the $90 upgrade when you bought it how can you afford it now with an additional $124.9 to boot?

BENJMNS
Jan 4, 2011, 12:08 PM
get the 4gig

it'll be much easier to dump it once you're thru with it

fyrefly
Jan 4, 2011, 12:44 PM
In my experience, the Apple Store (retail and online) has never charged a restocking fee, even though it's in their policy.

And if they say they are going to charge it, any mention that you know someone who has had it waived, and you don't understand why you can return to BestBuy, etc... and not have a restocking fee will probably get it waived.

I'd say go with the 4GB RAM model, if the restocking fee is all your worried about.

KPOM
Jan 4, 2011, 12:58 PM
In my experience, the Apple Store (retail and online) has never charged a restocking fee, even though it's in their policy.

January is a good time to make a return at an Apple store, particularly a trade-up. Lots of people get Christmas gifts and want to trade up to something else.

nateo200
Jan 4, 2011, 01:28 PM
6-7 out of 10 times people on forums are going tell you to get the best option because they are in ways translating there needs/wants to your decision.....Of course I still do it in hope that someone posts something seriously wrong with my current buying plan but I usually don't go 100% or even 40% of what people on forums say...I just use it for reference much like a review except better in some ways in that theres more long term owners.

jamesryanbell
Jan 4, 2011, 02:12 PM
You need to keep it. Seriously. It'll be fine.

sebseb81
Jan 4, 2011, 02:59 PM
Note: The education store discount brings the price of the extra 2 GB of RAM down to $90... for what that's worth.

I don't think the debate between 2GB and 4GB is trivial in the least, especially if you are holding on to the machine for a while. I'm rather wary of how Apple can drop features/support rather quickly for older tech. The idea that Lion might be running iOS side-by-side with OS X (hinted at but not stated in the keynote) suggests that Lion might take a bit more RAM. Also, the shared memory with the 320M also takes a bite out of what you have available, no?

Any chance that 4GB will come standard in the next release?

rrl
Jan 4, 2011, 09:57 PM
Do the right thing: Return it and get an ultimate.

gecis
Jan 5, 2011, 04:20 AM
Do the right thing: Return it and get an ultimate.

Lol that reminds me Russel peters Chinese man parody "Be a man, do the wight thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qtrAMK7_Qk)".

Return it and get the 4GB. I went the same route, I returned my 2GB at the store and ordered the 4GB online. Just be nice and tell then how loyal you are to Apple, they might wave the restocking fee.

sixxmum
Jan 5, 2011, 07:22 AM
I'm pondering this as well. I got the 11 as a Christmas gift. I would have gone with the 4G of RAM had I made the purchase, but my spouse did. So, now I have to decide whether the extra RAM is worth his annoyance ;) and the cost. I don't do anything beyond office applications, web browsing, and some light photo work, so I think 2 will be fine. There is just something about the idea of 4... ;)

bmat
Jan 5, 2011, 09:48 AM
I have an 11.6 ultimate, and when I look at RAM usage usually have over 2GB free. So when it came time to get my wife one, I debated pretty hard whether to go with the base model or the base model with the extra RAM.

Eventually, I decided for the extra RAM, only because with a lot of the programs open I could get to the point where 2GB wasn't enough, barely, and the cost difference didn't make much of a difference to me once I decided to order from Mac Mall. But I was of the view that 2GB was enough.

Doc750
Jan 5, 2011, 09:57 AM
return it and get a mac pro and a 27 cinema display :D

mm1250
Jan 5, 2011, 10:11 AM
I got the 4GB version and haven't looked back. If I plan on keeping this laptop for atleast 2yrs, the 2GB version won't suffice. I use Vmware to also run Win7 and no doubt the 2GB model wouldn't have been useful.

It's a bit disappointing that Apple

a) doesn't disclose anywhere on their site that the memory included in the notebook isn't user upgradeable like all other notebooks in the industry!

b) They don't have a upgrade program for users to go from 2GB to 4GB. I'm guessing in a year there will be very upset MBA users who got stuck with 2GB and find out they can't upgrade to 4GB.

Very bad business decision for Apple.

rrl
Jan 5, 2011, 01:19 PM
Lol that reminds me Russel peters Chinese man parody "Be a man, do the wight thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qtrAMK7_Qk)".

Very funny, thanks for the link. "Be a man" was what my ex-wife said to me when she was trying to screw me on the property settlement. I laughed almost as hard. Almost.

Aatos.1
Jan 5, 2011, 03:07 PM
Keep it, you can always but a new computer later. The newer Apple products aren't meant to last that long anyway. Just enjoy it now. Mines great (but I must confess I ordered 4GB).

Shasta McNasty
Jan 5, 2011, 03:24 PM
I got the higher-end 13" with 1.86 2gb ram and 256 and was contemplating on trying to return it and getting the "ultimate" but being a light user I felt there was no need and that my $200 and change and possibly a restock fee could be better spent else where. Like my new pair of zigtechs :)

Mac Composer
Jan 5, 2011, 03:32 PM
I'm pondering this as well. I got the 11 as a Christmas gift. I would have gone with the 4G of RAM had I made the purchase, but my spouse did. So, now I have to decide whether the extra RAM is worth his annoyance ;) and the cost. I don't do anything beyond office applications, web browsing, and some light photo work, so I think 2 will be fine. There is just something about the idea of 4... ;)
If you want the 4GB, then tell him. All guys want to do at Christmas is to make our wives happy. And we're basically idiots, we always buy the wrong color, size, whatever....
It'll be much better to discuss this now and get what you want, than to have 2 GB not be enough in the future. Then he'll really be in the doghouse.

shoebobs
Jan 9, 2011, 04:42 PM
If you really want the 4GB version, I would try going to the store again to talk with a manager.

I bought the latest Mac Mini this summer and then about 3 weeks later I decided I wanted the server model instead. Even though it was outside of the standard 14 day return policy, I was able to exchange it for the server model and was not charged a restocking fee. I never brought up the restocking fee and they didn't mention it - maybe because I was upgrading to a model that cost a few hundred dollars more.

So I would say give it a try again, it can't hurt. Are there any accessories or other items you are looking to purchase at the Apple store? Perhaps you could ask them to waive the fee if you also agree to buy another item to increase the whole sale. Of course, this would only really work if you already were planning on purchasing the extra item.

gwsat
Jan 9, 2011, 05:15 PM
I got the higher-end 13" with 1.86 2gb ram and 256 and was contemplating on trying to return it and getting the "ultimate" but being a light user I felt there was no need and that my $200 and change and possibly a restock fee could be better spent else where. Like my new pair of zigtechs :)
I agree with you. I bought the 13 inch Ultimate MBA only because I absolutely had to have 4GB of RAM in order to run Windows apps in VMware Fusion's Unity mode. I had learned the hard way that 2GB is not enough when I tried the same setup on an MBP with only 2GB of RAM. Were it not for my Windows requirements, I am sure the 2GB model would have been just fine and I would have had to take a hard look at paying $200 for a marginal CPU speed jump and an extra 2GB of RAM.

2IS
Jan 9, 2011, 07:38 PM
I'd take the 10% hit and get the 4GB version. I initially got the 2GB model as well from BB because I had a $300 gift card and that's all they carried. The more I thought about it the more it bothered me that I only have 2GB of ram. I didn't want my MBA to be obsolete and chug only a few months down the line if I decide to do a bit of iMovie editing or play an occasional game. It was worth it to me to spend the additional $100 or whatever it was extend the useful life of the laptop for many many more months. I ended up returning it (no restocking fee fortunately) and configuring a 128GB/4GB/1.86GHz MBA at Apple.com

Shasta McNasty
Jan 9, 2011, 08:22 PM
Since I last posted in this thread, I also returned my MacBook air 13" and got the "ultimate" version with 4gb ram. Fortunately I just explained my situation to the apple store manager and she waived the restock fee. All I paid was the $218 difference. For me, in the long run I think it's worth it since I plan on keeping this air for atleast 2 years.

fyrefly
Jan 9, 2011, 09:24 PM
Since I last posted in this thread, I also returned my MacBook air 13" and got the "ultimate" version with 4gb ram. Fortunately I just explained my situation to the apple store manager and she waived the restock fee. All I paid was the $218 difference. For me, in the long run I think it's worth it since I plan on keeping this air for atleast 2 years.

Glad to hear it.

In other news - Apple Stores are reportedly dropping the restocking fee all together! :D

http://www.9to5mac.com/46581/no-more-restocking-fees-at-apple-stores-starting-january-11

AMDGAMER
Jan 9, 2011, 09:42 PM
Thats how it should be...most people want to return and swap for something else...why punish them for being good customers! I've done it twice...exchanged. Thats what apple is all about, its a real STORE where you can test out stuff, use it, swap it, etc..

Ronnoco
Jan 9, 2011, 09:46 PM
Glad to hear it.

In other news - Apple Stores are reportedly dropping the restocking fee all together! :D

http://www.9to5mac.com/46581/no-more-restocking-fees-at-apple-stores-starting-january-11

Sweet! :D

MacAir47
Jan 9, 2011, 10:32 PM
Hi everyone,

I finally gave in and called the Apple store returns number, and I told the person that I wanted the 4 GB Macbook Air instead of the 2 GB version. As a result, I have to settle for the difference minus the restocking fee even though I told that person the most Apple Stores do not even charge that rediculous fee. I was given the pre-paid Fedex Express label and I sent my Macbook Air back to Apple for a refund last Wednesday. The place in Northern California near Sacramento received my return on Friday, and they processed the refund the same day. I should get my refund sometime later this coming week perhaps by January 13th or the 14th since it's suppose to take 5 business days.

I did make an attempt by going to my local Apple Store here in Seattle to see if I could return it for the upgraded version, but the local Apple Stores cannot take online Apple Store orders because they have two different inventory systems.

I decided I want to purchase the Macbook Air 4 GB at MacMall since they have better and faster service than Apple, and the price is a lot cheaper even with that paultry educational discount. I am going to purchase it once I get my refund as well as my regular paycheck. Of course I will have to pay my bills first, then I can see the amount left over before I decide which configuration to purchase.

I am not sure to get the Ultimate Macbook Air with 256 GB SSD, 4 GB of RAM, and the upgraded processor. I think I could settle with the 128 GB SSD and 4 GB of RAM model instead.

I want to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions on this desicion.

Sincerely,
David

2IS
Jan 9, 2011, 10:41 PM
The processor should be the least of your concerns, so I'd say save your money there. The difference between 2.13GHz and 1.86GHz is pretty negligible. As far as storage is concerned, well if you need more than 128GB then you need it, if you don't think it'll be too difficult to stay within a 128GB confine then save your money there as well. I believe (though i'm not positive) the SSD unlike the RAM, is upgradeable if you're comfortable enough to remove the cover.

gdeputy
Jan 9, 2011, 11:03 PM
if 2gb works for you than enjoy. Just check your usage, if you aren't cutting it close 2 is good!

lentus
Jan 10, 2011, 03:32 AM
if 2gb works for you than enjoy. Just check your usage, if you aren't cutting it close 2 is good!

Pardon the noobie question but I'm new to macs.
How do you check the usage?

gwsat
Jan 10, 2011, 08:42 AM
As you can tell from my sig, I agree with your decision to exchange your 2GB MBA for the Ultimate model.:) My 13 inch Ultimate MBA has exceded my rather high expectations. I continue to believe that 2GB of RAM is plenty for most users. Nevertheless, we don't know what the future holds and 4GB of RAM seems to be becoming the standard.

powerbook911
Jan 10, 2011, 09:31 AM
I got the 2GB, 128 version because I got it from Amazon which saved me something like $300 factoring in everything.

$1099 to my door.

I figured it wasn't worth so much for the extra ram.

Is it your sole computer?

For me, it's my second computer and I figure if the next Air update is so much better, I can just sell this one and pay a bit to get the new one.

It's nice they're so much more affordable now.

However, if you plan to keep it several years, more RAM *might* have been nice, but we have to remember the cycle has slowed down on how much ram and processor speed you need right now, so you'd still be ok longer than you might think.

It also depends on what programs you use.

Nevertheless, I'm perfectly happy with 2GB for the time being on my Air at least.

stewie1
Jan 10, 2011, 01:45 PM

fyrefly
Jan 10, 2011, 03:03 PM
I finally gave in and called the Apple store returns number, and I told the person that I wanted the 4 GB Macbook Air instead of the 2 GB version. As a result, I have to settle for the difference minus the restocking fee even though I told that person the most Apple Stores do not even charge that rediculous fee. I was given the pre-paid Fedex Express label and I sent my Macbook Air back to Apple for a refund last Wednesday. The place in Northern California near Sacramento received my return on Friday, and they processed the refund the same day. I should get my refund sometime later this coming week perhaps by January 13th or the 14th since it's suppose to take 5 business days.

I would see if you get the full amount back to your credit card. I had a friend return his online purchase MBA recently (by shipping it back to Apple), and there was no restocking fee.

If they do take a restocking fee out, I'd call and politely complain. As of January 11th, there is no restocking fees at the Apple Store.

Don't let them charge you it. :D

I am not sure to get the Ultimate Macbook Air with 256 GB SSD, 4 GB of RAM, and the upgraded processor. I think I could settle with the 128 GB SSD and 4 GB of RAM model instead.

If $$ is no object, or you want to keep the computer for a good number of years, the rule of thumb is always "buy the best you can afford to". But in practice, the 1.86/4GB model is gonna seem just as fast for 90% of tasks as the 2.13/4GB model.

And if you can work with the 128GB SSD (who need to have that much data on a MBA?), then I'd say stick with the 1.86Ghz model.

halledise
Jan 10, 2011, 03:31 PM
I purchased my Macbook Air 1.86 Gig, 2 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD Memory on December 18, 2010 using my educational discount on the Apple Store website. I was debating at the time to get the extra 2 GB RAM or not, but in the end I went with the 2 GB RAM version because I could not afford the 4 GB version.

I have been reading the forums to see if 2 GB of RAM would be enough for the future, especially with the forthcoming OS X Lion in the summer of 2011. I mainly use it for schoolwork such as word processing, spreadsheets as well as using it for music and for the internet.

I called Apple about this issue, but I am not sure if I want to return it and lose 10% of the purchase price that I paid for. That's a lot of money to lose in one shot.

I went to my local Apple Store in Seattle, but they will not take returns from the Apple online store since their inventory numbers are not the same. Even though they carry the computer I want with the extra RAM installed.

Does anyone think that it would be worth it to do this return or just keep what I have in the first place? I have until January 10th to make this decision. I hope someone can help me.

Sincerely,
David

ebay it - take a small $ hit - order the 4gb model

MacAir47
Jan 11, 2011, 03:46 PM
Now that Apple has stopped doing there restocking fees at their retail stores, does this also apply to their online orders? I have not found any information on this subject at all.

gnasher729
Jan 11, 2011, 05:16 PM

I'd say: Keep it. When Lion gets released wait until you see whether people complain or do not complain about memory usage - you don't _have_ to use Lion. At some point in the future you may decide that you don't have enough memory; if that happens there is eBay :D

Javad04
Jan 11, 2011, 05:19 PM
I got the 4GB version and haven't looked back. If I plan on keeping this laptop for atleast 2yrs, the 2GB version won't suffice. I use Vmware to also run Win7 and no doubt the 2GB model wouldn't have been useful.

It's a bit disappointing that Apple

a) doesn't disclose anywhere on their site that the memory included in the notebook isn't user upgradeable like all other notebooks in the industry!

b) They don't have a upgrade program for users to go from 2GB to 4GB. I'm guessing in a year there will be very upset MBA users who got stuck with 2GB and find out they can't upgrade to 4GB.

Very bad business decision for Apple.

hey mm1250, I was wondering how you were finding performance on the 1.86ghz 4gb ram air? i was hoping to get one in that config. My uses wold probably be school work, media and I want to get started in video editing (i have an external monitor for extra screen space)...

whats your opinion?

gdeputy
Jan 11, 2011, 07:45 PM
Pardon the noobie question but I'm new to macs.
How do you check the usage?

I'm new to macs as well :).

Go to your applications folder, scroll down, go to utilities, click on Activity Monitor and you can check hard drive usage, CPU usage, and memory usage among other things.

2IS
Jan 11, 2011, 08:47 PM
hey mm1250, I was wondering how you were finding performance on the 1.86ghz 4gb ram air? i was hoping to get one in that config. My uses wold probably be school work, media and I want to get started in video editing (i have an external monitor for extra screen space)...

whats your opinion?

This is the setup I have and I've been very happy with it. My uses are mainly web browsing, skype, a few video's here and there. I also have Win7 Pro configured on here via bootcamp and it runs that quite well also, though I only run it if I have a windows only software that I need to use or if i'm troubleshooting a windows network

My only complaint so far is the wifi performance isn't as good as my PC laptops with an Intel based wifi controller. Basic internet browsing or even downloading is ok, but when I'm streaming video from my media server my MBA has somewhat frequent split second pauses and skipped frames where my other laptops (even ones with less powerful CPU and GPU) stream flawlessly.

Javad04
Jan 11, 2011, 09:19 PM
This is the setup I have and I've been very happy with it. My uses are mainly web browsing, skype, a few video's here and there. I also have Win7 Pro configured on here via bootcamp and it runs that quite well also, though I only run it if I have a windows only software that I need to use or if i'm troubleshooting a windows network

My only complaint so far is the wifi performance isn't as good as my PC laptops with an Intel based wifi controller. Basic internet browsing or even downloading is ok, but when I'm streaming video from my media server my MBA has somewhat frequent split second pauses and skipped frames where my other laptops (even ones with less powerful CPU and GPU) stream flawlessly.

is this is a common problem? the internet/wireless card problem? or just specific to your unit?

2IS
Jan 11, 2011, 09:21 PM
is this is a common problem? the internet/wireless card problem? or just specific to your unit?

I dont know if I'd call it a "problem" per se, the wireless works and it's reliable just the streaming of video through my media server isn't the best I've experienced.

As to whether or not it's common or just me, I have no idea. This is my first Mac.

AMDGAMER
Jan 12, 2011, 12:52 AM
I just hooked up the apple extreme base station.....internet is moving on wireless-n speeds....impressed.

Ronnoco
Jan 12, 2011, 12:57 AM
I just hooked up the apple extreme base station.....internet is moving on wireless-n speeds....impressed.

VERY fast over my Airport Extreme N as well...

treynolds
Jan 12, 2011, 06:12 PM
If you really want the 4GB version, I would try going to the store again to talk with a manager.

I bought the latest Mac Mini this summer and then about 3 weeks later I decided I wanted the server model instead. Even though it was outside of the standard 14 day return policy, I was able to exchange it for the server model and was not charged a restocking fee. I never brought up the restocking fee and they didn't mention it - maybe because I was upgrading to a model that cost a few hundred dollars more.

This was exactly the case with my wife this past Fall. She purchased a Mac Mini, but then (by way of a broken knee) ended up unable to use it for 2 months. When she could walk she talked to the local Apple Store manager and asked if she could return it in exchange for the MBA 11.6". They said sure, bring it in. They *did* charge the 10% restocking fee, but that's only proper for something that had been kept beyond the normal return period.

She's thrilled, and Apple scored a sale on a more expensive item.

As to whether the OP should return his 11.6" for 2GB more RAM, I'm not so sure. My feeling is that for a student, you should be okay unless you're into heavy gaming, but then, if that's teh case, you don't really want the MBA anyway...

If it helps your peace of mind, go for it.