Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfg05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
I have installed the bumper optimized BestSkinsEver skin (front + back but no side) on my iPhone 4. I'm looking to complement it with a bumper to provide some fall protection without making the phone too bulky.

Tried the Apple bumper first and it was terrible. Way too loose on the sides. Other issue is that I need to use my Shure SE315 earbuds with the iPhone while the bumper is on. The jack for these earbuds is ENORMOUS; did not realize this when I got them as a Christmas present.

I'm thinking a thick rubber/silicone type bumper is best, since I will likely have to enlarge the headphone jack hole using a knife. What bumper alternatives are out there which could potentially fit my needs?

edit: I see I screwed up the title and cannot change it. Wonderful.

Last edited:

bigbro1096

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I have installed the bumper optimized BestSkinsEver skin (front + back but no side) on my iPhone 4. I'm looking to complement it with a bumper to provide some fall protection without making the phone too bulky.

Tried the Apple bumper first and it was terrible. Way too loose on the sides. Other issue is that I need to use my Shure SE315 earbuds with the iPhone while the bumper is on. The jack for these earbuds is ENORMOUS; did not realize this when I got them as a Christmas present.

I'm thinking a thick rubber/silicone type bumper is best, since I will likely have to enlarge the headphone jack hole using a knife. What bumper alternatives are out there which could potentially fit my needs?

edit: I see I screwed up the title and cannot change it. Wonderful.

You can change it. When you come back to this thread go to edit and then go to advanced and then you can edit the tittle. And to your question you have the case-mate hula case, SGP Neo Hybrid Ex, but that's all I can think of

AndrewTieu

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you want a bumper type case with a thinner profile. Then get the Case Mate Hula. I just got it yesterday and fell in love with it. Its a sexy case.

genetic

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you want a bumper type case with a thinner profile. Then get the Case Mate Hula. I just got it yesterday and fell in love with it. Its a sexy case.

i currently own the hula as well. i have one in white and grey. white got very dirty but the grey looks great with a white back.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
I'll agree with you guys on the Hula, definitely one of my fav bumper cases. I have the black, green, and white and love them. Although my fav is the black at the moment. And the white does get dirty pretty quickly.

nfg05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Any chance of enlarging the earphone hole on the Hula using an exacto knife to fit the gigantic plug for my Shure earphones, or is the case just too thick/hard for that?

techdude6693

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2010
Irvine, CA
Any chance of enlarging the earphone hole on the Hula using an exacto knife to fit the gigantic plug for my Shure earphones, or is the case just too thick/hard for that?

I wouldn't do that, just use an extension for the headset jack that fits, The material seems in between a hard-shell and TPU, if you do that you might damage the case and you won't be able to get a warrantee replacement since you would have tampered with the design

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.