Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deedas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Baltimore, Maryland
There are 5 stuck pixels on my screen. I just noticed them about 3 hours ago. They definitely weren't there on the first day I got my MBA about 5 weeks ago. I inspected every inch of the screen for just this kind of thing. Now these pixels are all down one line and are all within one inch. They're not off, they look like a dark grey. I've only cleaned the screen with microfiber cloth that I use for my camera lenses as well, so I really don't think it can be physical damage from cleaning it.

So my questions are: Are they stuck pixels and is there something I can do to fix them myself? I've heard about massaging the screen in the past. Sounds like a myth to me though. Can I contact Apple first or do you think they'll just tell me to talk to macmall. I really don't want to deal with them again. I had a less than happy experience purchasing this from them.

truncj

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
When you purchased the MBA through MacMall, you received a 1year applecare warranty from Apple. Since its been 5weeks, chances are you won't be able to swap/return the machine to MacMall. However, you will be able to bring it to your local apple store (make a geniusbar appt. before hand) and it should be covered under your 1year warranty (only reason I say probably is because I'm unsure of the dead pixel count required for a swap, but then again Apple will take your side 9/10 times). I wouldn't bother trying to fix the stuck/dead pixels since I've never had any luck with those flashing light/color stuck pixel fixers. The quicker you bring it to Apple, the quick you'll have it back. Let us know how it goes.

deedas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Baltimore, Maryland
Cool, really didn't want to deal with Macmall again. I guess I should fire up Super Duper and make an appointment. With these pixels being so close together I'm hoping I get a replacement quick. Anyone knows if they'll send the computer back to Apple first or will they give me a replacement then and there?

Patriiick

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
Depends on the size of the store, stock levels and local manager policy.
There is a good chance they might exchange it here and there for a new one.
Make sure you have all your data backed up ! :)

deedas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Baltimore, Maryland
I only have one store nearby. And it's got to be one of the smallest in the country. I could throw a paper plane from the entrance to the registers in the back. They'll probably ship it back then :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.