PDA

View Full Version : Picture dropouts on new AppleTV 2: picture goes black for a split second

ozthegweat
Jan 4, 2011, 03:27 AM
Hi there, I have a problem with my new Apple TV 2: every once in a while, the pictures blacks out for a split second, just barely noticeable. Sometimes it's only the upper half of the picture. Sometimes it's 10 minutes between two instances of this happening, sometimes it's 10 seconds.

It's not a streaming problem, as I can see the video has been buffered. And I've also seen this behavior on the main menu.

It's like if you would wiggle the HDMI cable.

I have the AppleTV 2 and a PS3 connected to a Sony HDMI receiver, which has a HDMI cable going to my Sony Bravia TV. The PS3 doesn't show this behavior, and I also changed the 3 cables around and changed input ports on the HDMI receiver. No dice.

Is this another form of the HDMI incompatibilities of the Apple TV 2? Or do I have a different problem? Faulty HDMI port on the Apple TV?

FriarNurgle
Jan 4, 2011, 08:27 AM
I have a similar problem with my Vizio. It's not the Apple TV. Mine seems to occur mainly when you first turn on the TV. Doesn't matter if the ATV is also just turned on or has been left on. Screen will go black but it's much better after a few minutes... Yet every now and then regardless of what your doing it will still go black for a sec. It's a PITA.

Let me know if you have any luck.

Here is the post with my issue:
t=1073361http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1073361