PDA

View Full Version : Changing iBook user ID

BLDun
Jan 27, 2005, 02:09 PM
Purchased a used iBook and want to know how to get rid of the original user ID's that seem to be imbeded in it. I have already changed the user profile so I am the administrator but the original name continues to pop up at various points such as "ryan's iTunes" , etc. Can these be changed reformatting the hard drive and reloading everything?

SteveC
Jan 27, 2005, 02:19 PM
Purchased a used iBook and want to know how to get rid of the original user ID's that seem to be imbeded in it. I have already changed the user profile so I am the administrator but the original name continues to pop up at various points such as "ryan's iTunes" , etc. Can these be changed reformatting the hard drive and reloading everything?
Yep. :) This is an easy one. Reinstall OS X and it will ask you to enter your desired username during installation.

diamond geezer
Jan 27, 2005, 04:36 PM
Create a new User with the name you want and make sure to give it admin rights.

Log in using the new user and delete the old one (don't hit the "delete immediately" button as I assume you will want to get the old documents, Mail data etc.

You can use a program called batchmod to change the ownership on the old file to yourself.