PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV 2 & Airport Express Question

OptyCT
Jan 4, 2011, 09:20 AM
I've used the Airport Express for some time to extend my network. Right now, I have the AE hooked up in my bedroom and it's extending the network from my Airport Extreme Base Station, which is located across the house and one floor down. For Christmas, I received an AppleTV 2, which I installed in the bedroom (same room as the AE). The AppleTV is showing 3 out of 5 signal bars on its signal strength indicator. I have a feeling that it's connecting to the AEBS and not the AE. Is there any way to point a device (in this case the AppleTV) to the AE to ensure that it connects to it via wi-fi?

FWIW, I've hooked up the ATV to the AE via ethernet cable and experienced much better download speeds. However, that setup isn't practical given my current placement of both the ATV and AE.

RCedit
Jan 4, 2011, 10:31 AM
I just got rid of my AE "extender". It extended the reception of my network but seemed to cost me so much bandwidth. Once I disconnected it my ATV2 reception went to 3 of 5 bars but it's performance definitely increased. I went from 2-3mbs to 8-12mbs. It's a give and take between how well it sees your network and how much bandwidth it can use. They are not mutually exclusive.