PDA

View Full Version : Data management for the storage ignorant?

sixxmum
Jan 4, 2011, 12:03 PM
Hey all! I'm a new Mac user, with an MBA. In the past, I've always synced my desktop and laptop (both PCs) and used each as the backup for the other. That was an easy way to manage data storage, have access to all files in both places, and be sure I had data backed up.

Now, this method won't really work, as - in addition to the Mac/PC issue - because the MBA doesn't have sufficient space. So, I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to easily backup both the PC and the Mac, and hopefully provide easy access to files.

At the moment, I'm considering 2 options. One is to buy a large (1-2T) drive and multi-partition it. The second is to buy two smaller drives, one formatted for MAC and one for PC and put copies of the data files on each, as well as the backups of the systems. Either of these will protect the files and provide the backups, but neither will provide easy access to all the files on the MBA, unless I carry the drive with me (which I could do, but at some point you lose the form factor value, yes?).

I don't really know anything about off-site data storage, but if you have suggestions there, I would happily hear them. I have about 250G in data, plus the backup files on both systems. If I skip the backup of music and some of the data files that I have on my work system (seriously, how does a person end up with so much crap?), I could probably get that down to about 150G plus the backup files.

Advice for the storage ignorant?