PDA

View Full Version : differently formatted partitions?

ifjake
Jan 27, 2005, 04:03 PM
i have a USB key drive that i would like to try something with, though i don't know if it is possible. i would like to make two partitions but format one as HFS+ (whatever the Mac version is) and the other format as FAT32 (or whatever windows uses). would that be possible, and how could it be done?

cluthz
Jan 27, 2005, 06:18 PM
i have a USB key drive that i would like to try something with, though i don't know if it is possible. i would like to make two partitions but format one as HFS+ (whatever the Mac version is) and the other format as FAT32 (or whatever windows uses). would that be possible, and how could it be done?

Unfortunately Disk Util won't let you format it with two partitions IF one of them is FAT32. (Two Hfs/hfs+ is ok or hfs+/unix.. etc..)

But MacOSX reads and write on FAT32, so why don't you have one FAT32 partition?

Espnetboy3
Jan 27, 2005, 06:31 PM
While we are on the disk utitily topic I to have a question with partitioning. How would I go about partitioning my ipod so that it will read on a pc also. Do i just click it in disk utitliy and make 2 partitions then click one of them to just be free space and hit partition?

Horrortaxi
Jan 27, 2005, 06:50 PM
Why have 2 partitions? You can format the whole thing as FAT 32 and read/write in Mac, Windows, and Linux.

FAT 32 is like O- blood--universal donor, universal format.

Espnetboy3
Jan 28, 2005, 03:43 PM
Exacltly how would you go about doing this. Is there any pro's and cons to formating it like this?

jxyama
Jan 28, 2005, 03:50 PM
i think you can use iPod updater on a PC to format it for PC use. once it's formatted for PC, it will be compatible with Mac as well. i wouldn't format using disk util simply because you may wipe any music playing related files in the process.

only con to formatting for PC use is that there are some characters you won't be able to use in the filename when used in the disk mode. otherwise, i don't think there are any differences.